Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikari Vertex Painter (MOVED TO ASSET STORE FORUM!)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kirbyrawr, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z171

Z171

i'm so glad for this!
    p.s. the result is awesome!
    p.p.s if you need a beta tester, i'm here!

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Updates:
    -Changed a lot the way the variables are saved, now they will be saved when the window of the editor lost the focus and the gui has been changed, so it's more flexible and fast.
    -Now it will save all , from the headers to colors, toggles, etc....
    -The undo has been changed too, now it's more intuitive.
    -The hotkeys are more flexible now, but maybe i will do more changes to them for work on all the editor window like the unity hotkeys.
    -Brush Falloff has been removed since i didn't put on it any function and i'm still not sure if i want it.
    -Added 2 more shaders to the pack, the mask ones, even if they are not vertex colors shaders i will include some goodies.
    -The bucket tool now uses it's own slider for the size.
    -Fixed some bugs related to the paint.

3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Fake AO shader added:
    Updates:
    -A lot of changes in hotkeys, now they will be saved when you close the editor.
    -Fixed some bugs.
    -Added a fake vertex ao shader.
    -Fixed leaks on scene related to materials.

Also i'm starting to send the pre-releases so check your email in a while : )

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Z171 likes this.
  4. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added Undo to meshes:

5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Updates:
    -Fixed a lot of bugs of the editor, like per objects mode that wasn't working and some things more.
    -Added a lot of shaders, from rgba blend, to paint colors, i will add more for the release.
    -Doing scene for the release.
    -Doing documentation.
    -Fixed leak meshes. No more leaks so far on my tests !! : )
    -Fixed selection tool when you use hotkey.

Preview of the demo scene:

Even if this asset is not focused on shaders i will make a lot for it:

And counting!

The asset will be released today or tomorrow maximum if there is no issues/bugs.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

More examples to the scene and inclusion of new shaders:

I'm going to do the documentation when i finish it i will submit it to the Asset Store! : )

7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Documentation done (PDF,DOCX and OPT), bughunt and final test completed and submitted to the asset store, i hope they will accept it : )
    I will send the final packages to the testers, i will move this thread to Asset Store if they accept it.

Wish me luck :3

And about the documentation it looks like this, with index etc...

8. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

Exciting!

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Very nice work. The tool is straightforward & very easy to get started with & integrate. It does nothing at runtime at all, as it should.

I used this tool when toying around with some shaders for vertex blending of PBR surfaces. Worked perfectly.

One feedback: Please don't call AssetDatabase.SaveAssets in OnLostFocus. Generally for tools I'd recommend just dirtying the asset and when the user saves the scene or closed the project Unity will save it for you. I always have the "Show saved assets" checkbox on and I want to control which assets are saved to disk in my project. And calling AssetDatabase.SaveAssets in OnLostFocus works against that.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ah thanks a lot for the feedback because i was trying to make them save when you close the editor but i didn't know, thanks again.

And thanks also for take the time to put here a comment, the updates will come soon and i will fix the "bug" you said ^^.

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi everyone the release of the updates will be delayed because i got a job and i'm working also on weekends, so i think it will be delayed to december finals or around that month.

Apologies and if you have any problem jusy tell me.

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Some updates on this, i was updating the rest of my assets and provide support so i barely had time to update this, i will try to bring updates in the next weeks with all of the feature list!

Thanks again for your patience, and for buy Ikari Vertex Painter! : )

14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New update for Ikari Vertex Painter has been submitted to the store, it contains:
    -Fixes on some shaders.
    -Fixed save asset on lost focus.
    -New shaders optimized for mobile.
    -Some bugfixes.

Enjoy! and i hope i can get more features in the future!

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The new update is out! Grab it for free if you bought it ^w^!!

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, Unity gave me a beta key for Unity 5 so i will take a look this weekend for see if it have any problems with the new version and if yes i will fix those problems and push a specific update for that version : )

Cheers!

17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

So yeah! This asset is compatible with Unity 5 and here's the proof:

Cheers!

18. Leanimal

Leanimal

Hi Kirby - is it possible to do realtime vertex painting with this tool? Is there any way I could modify it to do so?

19. Leanimal

Leanimal

Also, where is the Vertex Color shader with no smoothing? I don't see it in the package.

20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there Leanimal i will get you tonight, i'm actually at work, if i remember i didn't get the no smooth shader into the package but i can give you it, also yes you can do at realtime and you can save them as meshes.

Add me on skype for more info or questions ! ^^
    Skype ID: neo5icek

21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there a user of Ikari Vertex Painter made this awesome tutorial video for the tool, it explains almost all the functions with a lot of details and in Unity 5, is worth to see : )

I will put out one update soon with some bugs squashed!

22. Becoming

Becoming

Looks very nice! Does it preserve all properties of a mesh? Submeshes(Materialslots), UVs1234, Lightmaps, etc.

Edit: another question, is it possible to paint multiple meshes at once?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Kirbyrawr likes this.
  23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes aaaand yes!

24. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

Any chance of a vertexlit mobile shader (if there isn't one already)?

25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, the shaders are optimized for mobile, however i think i can do a vertex lit one :) !

Daniel-F likes this.
  26. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

Thanks! That'd be excellent. You can chalk up one more customer.

Edit: By the way, sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, but what's the best way to handle changing the textures programmatically? Just setting the vertex colour values, with each of the four channels corresponding to a different texture? Is it wise to be careful not to blend more than two textures simultaneously, or do the combined values need to add up to a set total? Anything else that should be considered? Thanks again.

Kirbyrawr and theANMATOR2b like this.
  27. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It depends of your intentions, for example you have some shaders with layered blend and others ones with summed so it's a choice of you, however if i can do anything for do your life more easy i will do it!

Daniel-F likes this.
  28. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

Thanks again, that's very good of you!

If it matters, the actual use case I'm considering is a randomly-generated deformable terrain mesh (not using Unity's terrain system) that needs to be very high-performance to be rendered stereoscopically on Android, with different areas painted with different textures during gameplay. (Edit: my project would also need to be completed by early in May.)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Kirbyrawr likes this.
  29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there my friend, if you want i can do some benchmarks on a android phone with a low gpu and you can see it also the vertex lit shader and more things are coming the next week, i was busy this one!

Oh btw the project sounds good!, i will give you my support on all you need!

Daniel-F likes this.
  30. Scribble

Scribble

Hey,

Anyone else running unity5 on mac experiencing terrible lag? Just bought Ikari but whenever i want to try it out on an asset the lag makes it impossible to use in any way. Its seems that the asset also breaks the scene view after some time, im not getting any errors but it stops responding completely and only a restart of unity 5 fixes this.

Removing the asset from the scene that was used with Ikari fixes the scene view crash though.

Just curious to see if anyone is having any issues like this, or if its a hardware issue maybe on my side.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there you are with luck because i can test on mac so tomorrow i will try it!

I don't think it's a hardware bug.
    I think it's something i did wrong in some part!

As i said i will check it!

Scribble likes this.
  32. Scribble

Scribble

Seems its my lucky week then, first finding Ikari - now all this help, awesomesauce! :D

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  33. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

I've already purchased and will be trying it out either way, so just whatever's necessary to check that the shader's working suitably would be great. Really appreciate your support!

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  34. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, tested it on Mac and it works good i noticed some warnings and the sky that is not render properly but it shouldn't affect it, it gives you any errors? Did you tried the demo for see if it works there? How old is your mac or what graphic card it have, thanks!!

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Awesome anything you need i will be here!!

Daniel-F likes this.
  36. Scribble

Scribble

Its an older Imac (Core i3 3.2ghz with an ati HD 5670 512mb gfx card)
    Before unity 5 i used vpaint which worked pretty smoothly, its weird though because i havent come across any issue with making HP models in zbrush or running any hardware intense software. So im kinda at a loss right now (changing quality settings does pretty much nothing performance wise.)

Only thing i can think of is maybe the amount of raycasts between Ikari and the asset is bringing down performance - but im no programmer, so i'm really fumbling in the dark here.

Edit: I noticed the lag only ever starts once i press the 'start painting', as soon as i go out of paint mode performance is back to normal.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Mmm weird it shouldn't give any lag, i profiled the asset and it's not giving garbage allocation or anything..
    I don't know how to reproduce it at the moment... can you please add me to Skype? so we can discuss this thing :)

38. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, i will look into this soon, i don't want to leave you with the problem!

39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, the new update is almost done, i'm waiting for release it because some people is reporting bugs and i want to look at them before release it, cheers!

40. chai

chai

Nice tool, I like how simple it is, but I'm getting issues
    1. However I'm getting the same lags mentioned here, it works bit faster during play mode but still unusable for artist.
    2. Painting specific channels (in paint properties) doesn't work, in fact it can't paint anything if any is disabled.
    3. If I exit menu, the brush circle is still active, until I restart unity
    4. Paint falloff would be nice :p

So I can't really use it atm :(

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  41. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there i will take a look as soon as i return from work, i will fix the brush circle and the channels thing, about the lags i don't really know what's causing that, are you on a Mac?

Thanks in advanced!

42. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

So i tested it and channel paint is working for me, maybe and only maybe you are painting it in another color than full red, green, blue or alpha, i can do something for that this weekend, and if you want i can also add a custom channel paint color : )
    About the lag i didn't find it in my version, argh i hate that bug and i seriously want to squash it.
    The brush circle is because you didn't press stop painting, if you press it you won't see the circle anymore.

Here's the proof, working in Unity 5.0.2f

PD: I still don't know why people claim that this is not working in unity 5...
    PD2: Add me to skype --> neo5icek , so we can discuss ideas, problems or things i can improve!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  43. chai

chai

Great thank you very much for the speedy response, I will keep my eye for this :)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I was talking to Chai, and i did some optimizations, i'm trying to increase the performance of Ikari Vertex Painter and Chai is helping me giving me some feedback.

I did some changes i think they will work, i'm also going to include some more goodies to the editor and a new shader at least for the next update of Ikari
    i47^cimgpsh_orig.png

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

1.25 Submitted to the Asset Store!

This version have this changes:
    -Improved the slowdowns of the editor.
    -Improved the slowdowns with high vertex count.
    -Added a water shader.

46. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

So the update is out, tell me how is the performance now if you can please!

47. chai

chai

Hey finally had a breather to test it, defo a bit faster, but cursor & painting still slow :(
    In playmode cursor is supersmooth, painting faster but not fast enough.
    when i exit playmode things are kinda inbetween, then slow back after a while.
    Also had weird errors when I first loaded it, went away after pressing play.

Sorry I'm swamped to do any more tests, looks like things are going in the right direction, hope you fix the issues !

48. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Chai!, mmm strange, maybe i should try to redo that part : /
    I will also try to look at those errors aswell.

How many years have your mac ?

Thanks a lot btw!!

49. chai

chai

Ah I'm on PC, windows 7 64bit

50. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

You know the cpu model?, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.