Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikari Vertex Painter (MOVED TO ASSET STORE FORUM!)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kirbyrawr, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks sir ^^, also thanks for the suggestion of the name : D

EDIT: Added foldouts

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. janpec

janpec

Thanks for clarifiy answer, i was asking becouse there are some vertex painters that have their own shaders, which do not allow you use your own defined shaders. But thanks for clearing it up.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi sir no problem i'm going to take this post also for show another feature haha (I love to show those gifs)
    UPDATED:
    Angle and outline for gizmo:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Okey so not gif this time but a interesting feature i need to explain a little:

This property allow you to paint the colors on the instance of the scene or on the asset.
    Actually i got working the instance one without affect to other instances, the thing is for know what property that object have i needed to create a "hide script" that will be added to your object when you edit it, this script have no performance hit and it won't be an issue for you, you won't see it since it will be hided and it will contain information of the object itself.

And no, this won't end in leaking meshes or memory leaks.

The only thing i don't know what to do is save to asset, let me explain, i can create an asset from that object and save it as a global asset for those instances but actually i want to save the colors on the fbx or the original file itself, i don't know if it's possible but anyways i need to research about it more.

Another thing is that the instances painted will save only if you save the scene, i don't know if this is good or not but i can add a autosave option maybe.

I hope you like the new property : )

And remember to post comments and name suggestions for the asset!
    Thanks in advanced

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. gurayg

gurayg

Hey KirbyRawr,

I was just going to ask about this. (Where/how your save the data)
    It would be very handy if it's possible to save to the imported .fbx .
    And also I was going to ask about AO baking onto Vertex colors. Do you have any plans to add this?

My dream is to write a postprocessimport script that looks at the file name of the fbx and and bakes ao to VC and/or applies a gradient to VC along the World axis Y+ to the imported fbx and if possible do not generate any other file while doing that.

What do you think?

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Well the fbx i don't know if it will be possible due to the sdk license but i will try, the ao bakes i was just thinking about that right now haha, so maybe yes : )

The thing is, for example if a user is using a .dae file or .obj or another file i can't really focus on all those files creating a exporter for all those formats, my best approach is create a prefab/asset when you use the asset mode but i'm still not sure.
    Plus the sdk license for fbx is really weird...

Tell me what do you think.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. gurayg

gurayg

Well! fbx discussions always end with the fbx SDK and its license, not surprised about that one :)
    But you're right about other file formats. They might will give you hard time later on. But creating a prefab might be a good option, as you've said.
    I read that, there will be some advancement/changes to Unity's prefab and scene system in version 5. You might want to take a look at those. Don't know the details of it, but since we're in the middle of Version 4 and 5, you might want to future proof your asset.

About AO; If we look at the common usage of Vertex color channel we'll see VC AO, texture splatting(mixing textures) and vertex animation based on Vertex color (foliage, flag...). So I think you should somehow give those abilities to you asset.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  8. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks for the Unity 5 thing, i'm going to search about that!.
    Yeah AO is semi planned it's only i need to do some researchs.
    About the vertex animation, i will include some shaders with wind animation i think : )

Thanks again!.

9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Redoing show options and doing it more user friendly, i will add a search box and a scroll view for those buttons ; )

10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I like how you can select multiple objects and edit them all!

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  11. virror

virror

Just a small thought, maybe you can make start and stop the same button? When you click start it changes to stop and the other way around to get rid of an extra button?

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes i think you are right again Virror ^^

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added search box and added a dynamic header based on the selected objects, also deleted the stop button and change that at runtime.

14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Search box is nice. I could see it getting very cluttered if you are painting a lot of things.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

A little haha, but don't worry it fits perfectly

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Asset Paint added still need to bugfix some things and do some clean

17. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'd think one major limitation of vertex painting is finding out there isn't enough `resolution` in the mesh to be accurate enough in placing colors where you want them etc.... so an option to subdivide/tesselate the mesh itself would be good. Just an idea.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I like that idea i will add it to the possible list, thanks sir ^^
    Maybe it can be done via shader.. but then it's only for dx11 so i need to find another way.

19. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I was thinking just take the mesh triangles and subdivide them and output a new mesh. Fairly easy to do, divide halfway along each edge to get 3 new coordinates, now you can build 4 triangles out of 1. Although dealing with curvature might be fiddly.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Editor Undo, i still need to know how can i add the undo to the mesh but the undo of the editor is semi done, i still need to fix some things and add undos to all the interface.

21. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

You have to add the undo feature? Huh, learn something new everyday!

22. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yeah for sell extensions you need to handle undos and redos haha

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  23. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Wow, I thought it automatically added that.

24. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It's on SerializedProperties : )

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Quick Update, changed float fields, added hacky stuff for detect when a slider is pressed and do the undo, added undo to the sliders.

Before:

After:

Undo Sliders:

26. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh man, this has come a long way since it started!

27. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hahah you are right, and the best is that i expended only one week in do all the base and the hard work.

28. janpec

janpec

Kirby one question, would this method allow us to use vertex painted models from 3ds max? For example if i import vertex painted model from max into Unity and apply your vertex painted+shader method on it will it load vertex colors from 3ds max?

29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes you can import models with colors, actually the cube you usually see is imported from blender : )

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I finally choose a name, the asset will be named: "Ikari Vertex Painter"

Why Ikari?, Ikari is a japanese word that means fury or anger, it also means in some context passion, so it fits perfectly :)

Here is the logo that it will have:

31. virror

virror

:cool:

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  32. gurayg

gurayg

No vertex can escape. "Ikari" will paint all your vertices with a fury.
    *does a Japanese bowing greeting ;)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Haha great one sir ^^ i should add it to the main page : D!

34. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Fixed some bugs related to the layout of the editor, added scroll, fixed some layout issues, in progress of add copy and paste of vertex from one object to another

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, what shaders do you guys think i can make for complement this tool ?

Example included:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I don't do much with shaders, but the one you gave as an example is fine to me. :p

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The main post was updated with more organization and spoilers for all the gifs , i will update the main post when i get a new feature shader.
    I will be posting on this post all the shaders i will be doing aswell.

No Smooth Vertex Shader:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  38. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

@imaginaryhuman It's not "interpolation" at all and it's done via shader but it's something..
    That's the thing you wanted? I think it's not but worth a try haha : )
    Oh and btw i'm doing the subdivision thing : )

Test on a Cube:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New shader with normal maps and specular maps, the textures will be included on the package, but i still need to add hard edge to this shader.

40. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New Editor features, this time i'm going to show how to make a question related to the asset:

41. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Since this asset is getting near to the publish on the asset store (still need to do some things and bughunt/clean) i want to talk about the price.

I think it would be cool put it at 15$ the first 2 weeks and 20$ the rest, i have in mind indie budgets and since i'm going to give support and update it i think it worth it.

What do you guys think?

Edit: The people who won a copy of the asset will receive it when the asset is published on the store.

42. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

15$ seems about right since it's complicated to do on your own. 20$ later on should be fine. Maybe higher the price when it get's more popular over time?

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks for the feedback, i think the maximum price will be 20 even if i update it, i don't want to put it as 70 or 50 that's a little high for people like me who don't have almost any money to expend.

Cheers

44. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yes, I agree.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Added copy and paste of vertex between objects, changed a little the selected objects field.

Final result with shader:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  46. gurayg

gurayg

Nice progress KirbyRawr!
    I've got two small questions;

-What happens if you try to paste VCs to a completely different object?
    -Do you have plans to add a blur and fill brushes? Fill is for the case when you have multiple child objects and you can select and fill each with different color with ease.

thanks

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  47. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi, Gurayg thanks for reply, interesting question by the way:

First question:
    -If you paste vertex colors to another mesh that have more vertex than the copied object, the colors will be added normally.
    -If you paste vertex colors to another mesh that have less vertex than the copied object, the colors will be deleted till they reach to those vertex count.
    Second question:
    I will add a bucket/fill tool for paint all the object with the color you want, but the thing is if you are for example using the red channel, it will fill only the red channel,about the blur i'm not sure what do you mean.

48. gurayg

gurayg

Hi,
    by Blur brush I mean: it helps to vertex colors to smoothly transition from neighboring vertices. Blender has a blur brush for vertex paint.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Here I tried to show how it behaves.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  49. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi i just tried in blender that function, i'm still not sure how it works but i think it's a interesting tool, i will add it to the possible list.

EDIT: I think i got a idea how it works : )

50. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I had a 30 days trial of unity pro so i used it for improve this asset, i don't regret it since i needed to do some fixes and i added more cool things to the layout.
    Pro support is now added:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.