Search Unity

Ikari Vertex Painter [Free, Open Source!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirbyrawr, Nov 7, 2014.

1. wolfen231

wolfen231

I am not upset. I am actually glad you (unlike others) had the nerve to come and tell us why, and it to make it open source. Its commendable and I appreciate the honesty. I know the asset store isn't a replacement for many folks required income so it's a difficult task to maintain for some. But when they just up and vanish it's really annoying. I am the kind of guy if you just tell me what's going on I will be more inclined to empathize of even at times sympathize.

So, thanks. And best wishes to you of course. Glad to hear you also won't 100% vanish. =)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks sir, really appreciated, and don't worry that i will be here!

wolfen231 likes this.
  3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

4. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Updated first post with info and reorganized it, about the dae i deleted the library called GrandEngine collada since i want to make my own one for export to dae, it will be more difficult but we don't have licenses problems.

5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone there is a bug with the last version of Ikari Vertex Painter in the asset store, it prevents you to build because of a error related to a namespace, for fix it just deleted the line:

using grandengine_collada;
    Of IVPSave.cs

Cheers, apologies for it i will try to have a hotfix and a update soon!

wolfen231 likes this.
  6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there i just submitted a version to Asset store with the critical fixes for the compilation, i pushed them in bitbucket aswell!

Cheers

7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone ikari got accepted few days ago, i still need to find a little of time to update the asset but it will probably be this weekend since i have 1 day off, i hope everyone understands and don't worry that the update is coming!

Cheers!

8. retmia

retmia

The current version of Ikari seems to be broken and freezes Unity :(

Edit : I checked on an empty project, it seems to work fine here. Maybe there is still something to do to avoid the errors ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Kirbyrawr likes this.
  9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there Retmia i'm sorry for not bring news to the forum for some weeks i was really busy with stuff, what version of Unity are you using?

Did you try cloning the repository of Ikari to a folder of your project?

Thanks in advanced.

10. retmia

retmia

Hi Kirby,

We're Using Unity 5.3.0f4
    I just tried to use Ikari from the repository, problems remain :(

Attached Files:

11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Retmia, before clone the repository, please delete everything of Ikari Vertex Painter (you can keep the meshes) and then put the cloned content of the repository to the same place you had Ikari.

The console is throwing those errors because you have duplicated scripts, etc..

12. retmia

retmia

Thank you Kirby,
    Deleting Ikari and puting it back in the project corrected the problem.

It still have pending requests :
    - Can you please reduce (a lot) the Ikari Banner size on the top so it doesn't take 20% of the asset space, or make it hidable ?
    - Can the default color of objects be (RGBA) 0 0 0 255 and not 0 0 0 0 ? So the objects are not transparent ? It's more managable when taken out of Unity. Or can you add a color fill button (to choose the object's background color) ?

I'll handle the export via an external plugin, it's a time consuming task because it has to be resaved in maya but we have to move forward. (PS : Instance save mode is not enough practicle to use, and asset save mode was not working when I tried it)

Thank you,
    You must be busy, I hope you're doing fine, and I hope you'll have time to have a look at it.

Regards,
    Romain

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Sure i still have a lot of things to do with Ikari, is only that i have not a lot of time to do them but i want to fix the Hotkeys, the banner thing i said it a lot of times and yes i should do it aswell.
    About the button sure it should be easy.

I started some weeks ago the dae exporter i didn't push any commit of it since i have it in my local branch, it's not really done but i will hope to continue some time.

Thanks in advanced and apologies i will try to take care of these issues asap

14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  15. DenizPiri

DenizPiri

Hi,

We just submitted a pull request to this asset.
    https://bitbucket.org/Kirbyrawr/ikari-vertex-painter/pull-requests/1/multiple-changes/diff

It contains these new features:
    - Seamless painting support.
    - Collision layer mask option.
    - Add brush hardness slider.
    - Proper color masking.
    - Increased brush size range.
    - Disallow negative brush size and some other properties.
    - Save IVPData to assets ROOT to make it more obvious that it should be ignored.

We discovered this asset today, and when we saw that it is open source, we wanted to contribute our changes back. Thanks a lot for making this asset open source!! We might be pushing more changes in future, but most of it probably will be very project specific in our case.

So, once again, thank you!

Arganth likes this.
  16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there first of all apologies for my late late replies, also thanks a lot DenizPiri for the pull request, i'm busy with other tool i'm going to do open source (It's a tile map editor!), but i will try to take a look to the bugs of ikari vertex painter as soon as i can.

Cheers.

Edit: I Removed the old repository and created a new one since it contained some assets i forgot to delete when pushing.

17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi guys, new version is up on the repository, it contains fixes for Unity 5.4 and more things!

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New version for Asset Store is going up to review.

-Fixed error related to Hotkeys
    -Updated to Unity 5.4
    -Fixed Data not being created properly.
    -Added Mask and Layers (DenizPiri)
    -Seamless painting support (DenizPiri)
    -Clamped slider values for don´t go negative (DenizPiri)
    -Increased Brush Size range (DenizPiri)

Cheers and thanks to the contributors!

20. mrwogs

mrwogs

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, actually the version that it's up has been uploaded with Unity 5.4, i know that you can not download Unity 5.4 assets with a lower version, so the alternatives are:

-I do the last package and upload for you (Bad internet upload speed, but if you need it i can do it).
    -Clone the repository into a submodule in your project.
    -Clone the repository into a new project and export the package.

Let me know!

Cheers!

BTW: New version is up and approved! Enjoy!

Edit: The repository link is here: https://bitbucket.org/Kirbyrawr/ikari-vertex-painter/overview
    Edit2: Sorry if i don't reply fast, this thing don't notify me via email also in some hours of the day i'm working, send me a conversation of Unity forums if i don't reply!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  22. mrwogs

mrwogs

No problem, thanks for the reply! The version I linked to seems to be working fine in 5.3.4. Should I not use that one? I won't be able to use Unity 5.4 for a while so I may be stuck using an older version of Ikari that is compatible with 5.3. Thanks.

23. CaptainKirby

CaptainKirby

Hi, thanks for making this plugin free, first of all!
    Second - It might just be me, but when i open the plugin via the menu i get this error continuously:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    IVPGizmos.DrawHandle () (at Assets/Ikari/Vertex Painter/Scripts/Editor/IVPGizmos.cs:13)
    Ikari.VertexPainter.IVPController.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/Ikari/Vertex Painter/Scripts/Editor/IVPController.cs:1027)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2046)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1381)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1218)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

And the plugin just show the main menu button and nothing else.
    Thanks!

Kirbyrawr and ronjart like this.
  24. ronjart

ronjart

Getting the same error as above user.

25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, sorry for the late late reply

About the Unity 5.4, yes you can use it in Unity 5.3 : )

About the error:
    Delete everything of Ikari Vertex Painter (All the folder) and reimport the new package, if still is not working i will check it asap!

EDIT: Anyone know how to get notifications to my email, i have everything enabled in my control panel : (

26. mrwogs

mrwogs

@KirbyRawr

Getting the same error on my end as well, running 5.4.1f1. The Ikari window opens up, but nothing shows up in the UI and the tool locks up. Unity freezes and needs to be force-quit.

BTW I just installed the app through via Unity's built-in Asset store interface this afternoon, so it is the recent version.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  27. solof

solof

I had the same problem, the reason is that a folder is missing. Create the folder Ikari/Vertex Painter/Scripts/Editor/InternalResources/Data/ and it should work.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  28. mrwogs

mrwogs

Thanks I'll try that out.

It worked, thanks very much! Hopefully the tool creator can get this fixed in the next release.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi guys, just a quick update, i will try to fix the bug as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reports!

Edit: I'm still not receiving the emails of this forum that's why i reply late, if anyone need a quick reply just send me a email to my adress.

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi guys, the bug is fixed, sorry for the late time i barely had time.

The version is in review.

Edit: I noticed the change was in the repository but i didn't published it to the Asset Store, big apology here.
    Edit2: Thanks Erik Behar for the fix that you introduced.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi guys the version is up on Asset Store, cheers!

DevMember likes this.
  32. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ikari Vertex Painter was tested a bit on Unity 5.5 and it's working so far.
    I will do a new update soon with some fixes on shaders and on the core of the painter.

Cheers!

DevMember likes this.
  33. paroxum

paroxum

Hi, I have been using the tools with success when painting in instance mode, however when I want to paint an object in Asset mode, nothing happens when painting the mesh, brush nor bucket work.

Is the asset saving method broken?

34. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there Paroxum i will try to take a look, asset mode should not be used right now since if you go to the object you will find a save prefab button that will take care of create the mesh etc..

35. Michal_123

Michal_123

Hello KirbyRawr,

I have question about your addon - is there a possibility to connect shaders (no single textures but whole shaders including bump, spec, norm, diff) with colors? I mean:
    shader1 = blue,
    shader2 = red, etc.

36. hannes-dev

hannes-dev

that is something you would need to do in your own shader
    you can set up shaders with several passes and make every pass a unique shader

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  37. ErnstMolo

ErnstMolo

Hi.
    I'm using Unity version 5.4.1f1. I have a problem where I cant access the Editor Menu.
    I get this error message:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Ikari.VertexPainter.IVPController.OnGUI () (at Assets/Ikari/Vertex Painter/Scripts/Editor/IVPController.cs:758)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

I tried blocking out the lines of code from 758-770 and that fixed the errors, but doesn't give me access to the Editor settings.
    The Code:
    GUILayout.Space(5);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.paint.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Paint", IVPData.Hotkeys.paint.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.paint.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.erase.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Erase", IVPData.Hotkeys.erase.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.erase.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.increaseSize.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Increase Size", IVPData.Hotkeys.increaseSize.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.increaseSize.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.decreaseSize.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Decrease Size", IVPData.Hotkeys.decreaseSize.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.decreaseSize.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.showVertexColors.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Show Vertex Colors", IVPData.Hotkeys.showVertexColors.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.showVertexColors.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.copyVertexColors.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Copy Vertex Colors", IVPData.Hotkeys.copyVertexColors.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.copyVertexColors.enabled);
    GUILayout.Space(1);
    IVPData.Hotkeys.pasteVertexColors.enabled = HotkeyFunction("Paste Vertex Colors", IVPData.Hotkeys.pasteVertexColors.data, IVPData.Hotkeys.pasteVertexColors.enabled);

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

38. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there sorry for that, i will check it as soon as i get home from work, apologies.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I'm sorry, didn't notice this

40. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi mate, here on my side all seems to be correct in Unity 5.5.1 (It shouldn't be a problem for your version since it's a null reference not something obsolete), can you get the code from the bitbucket repository and reinstall, please?
    It should solve your problems.

41. ErnstMolo

ErnstMolo

Hi,
    I got the github download repository and opened it and I am getting the same error as before.

Have attached some images in case that helps.
    Ikari 1.jpg Ikari 2.jpg Ikari 3.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out!

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  42. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there mate, tomorrow Friday when i return from work i will take a look.
    Pm me a form of contact so i can help you better, thanks!

43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there i couldn't look at it this weekend but i will try over the week, apologies.

44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there Ikari Vertex Painter has been deprecated from the Asset Store, it will return in the future, fixed and with a new interface, i'm doing this since i want to do it again from zero.

Right now my priority is in another tool (One for terrains) so i will start this when the other tool is done.

Edit: Both tools will be free of charge and i will try to support them more than before.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Lex4art likes this.
  45. marcmantraunity

marcmantraunity

Hello,

Thanks in advance for this amazing tool and make it open source. I downloaded the last version and when I bake lightmap it can't be read. The lightmap don't appear on the geometries with Ikari shaders. Are there any known issue or way to fix it?
    I'm working with Unity 2017.1.1p4 + Mobile/Diffuse/VertertexColorRGBAdvancedBlend

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  46. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there actually this asset is on hold since i dont have time to maintain it however i will provide you with the shaders you need of the package with lightmap support.

47. marcmantraunity

marcmantraunity

Thanks DevKirbyrawr! It' will be amazing

48. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

Will the shader with lightmap support be added to the repo?

49. misticalages

misticalages

BEST PLUGIN FOR VERTEX PAINT !!! THIS GUY ROCKS !!

THUMBS DOWN FOR POLYBRUSH! , it can't paint a geometry with 100400 faces! This guy's plugin can!

Using 2019 VER.

DIRRT.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  50. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

Hi, love this vertex painter. But any way i can remove specularity/gloss from the material?Since the ground should not be glossy.

Thanks