Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikari Vertex Painter [Free, Open Source!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirbyrawr, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Sorry, i didn't read it completely, maybe i need to puth alpha colors to white instead of black?

2. wolfen231

wolfen231

Maybe it's as simple as adding a button to add / remove mesh collider on the tool. It may be redundant to have it in multiple places on the editor but with the option right there in the tool it might help people realize they need to add it to paint, but also it gives them the option to remove it or keep it.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yup you are right, like a checkbox for do it automatic or not!

4. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah, something like that. Collider on Collider off (imagining the Karate Kid movie)

Kirbyrawr and hippocoder like this.
  5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, an user called Andrew (Thanks a lot) reported me a bug and a fix for it, so a new update should come this week, i want to improve more Ikari, so please leave suggestions, i also want to change the art so if someone have any idea it will be welcomed!

Cheers!

6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there! It seems i did a mistake in the update of the package, i was so dumb that i didn't press one button so the unity team is not reviewing it, tomorrow i will be sure to press that button for update the package properly.

Apologies! Keep painting, new things are near..!

7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Okey i'm so dumb again since i pressed that button so yeah, update is up guys!

8. retmia

retmia

Hello,
    I'm searching for a good vertex painter for Unity and I've seen a friend using Ikari Vertex Painter, it seemed nice even though I have few comments / question to make to be sure it's a good buy :

- I'm used to Maya's navigation settings ; but in Ikari, when you alt+left click to rotate around the selection, it also paints the active objects if you touch it with the cursor ... that a bit annoying. I don't know if anyone have mentioned it ?

- It's nice of you of offer a beautiful banner for the Ikari in Unity, but when you have a small screen full of windows everywhere, not being able to hide the banner to gain room is a bit annoying too.

- Do you plan to improve the functioning of the Ctrl+Z undo system in Ikari ? It's seems to function randomly.

- Do you plan to make the option to paint directly in the mesh / fbx / obj or plan to have an exporter to take the mesh with vertex color information out of Unity natively ? In order per example to put it back in one's 3D package to add edge loop if needed ?

Thanks for your work,
    Kind Regards,

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, i just notify your reply, i'm planning to research about your questions and release an update with those improvements, if you are still not sure you can ask me for a demo :)

PD: Actually i'm making a huge asset that the artist probably will like but it takes time :)

10. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I was reviewing your requests:
    -The undo function works properly, if you find any issues just tell me.
    -In the next update there will be an option to hide the banner.
    -FBX Export EULA is a bit tricky however i will look into that to see if i can inject some kind of vertex data to the fbx, the obj export is easy to do, so i might check it .
    -About the controls, i will fix that issue.

11. retmia

retmia

Thank you for digging all this !

Using Ikari Vertex Painter from time to time I found that sometimes the painting simply stops working.
    What happens is weird, you can paint a first time your mesh, and have a few color edits (essentially red / black back and forth) but quickly you can't colorize vertex that have not been edited in the first place. Also the paint bucket seems to stop working the same way, and even after a Unity reboot it is still not working right when it has started to bug.
    (This is when working on a fbx with several meshes inside (with one mesh especially for vertex painting (using saving colors on asset, otherwise (with instance) the painted object can't be saved as a prefab (painted meshes are invisible))).

Plus I confirm the Ctrl+Z is not 100% working, sometimes yes, sometimes no (most frequent here), sometimes erasing 10+ actions at the time.

I hope you can fix all this, and Ikari will start getting quite usable in production !

Thank for your work.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  12. retmia

retmia

Ok so I don't really know what's happening but after I had the few above problems, things started to just stop working, letting the object black and giving me this error :

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'SerializedWindowProperties' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    Ikari.VertexPainter.IkariVertexPainter.SaveVariables () (at Assets/Add-on/Ikari Vertex Painter/Ikari Vertex Painter Assets/Scripts/Editor/IkariVertexPainter.cs:1841)
    Ikari.VertexPainter.IkariVertexPainter.OnLostFocus () (at Assets/Add-on/Ikari Vertex Painter/Ikari Vertex Painter Assets/Scripts/Editor/IkariVertexPainter.cs:1123)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)

Well, I'll have to postpone painting my assets until I find the right vertex painter.
    Hope you can make Ikari a good product, we're really missing a good vertex painter in Unity.
    Kind Regards.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  13. retmia

retmia

After deleting and puting back the asset, it seems that we can paint the meshes back.

Still I think the way you propose to paint on instance / asset can be improved.
    Per example : painting by default on an instance, and then having a button to save the instance as an asset (fbx for later :p). Because at the moment when we work on asset mode, it happens that it pops a save window at every brush stroke (not everytime but sometimes it happens). And when we try to first work on the instance and then check asset, the window to save the work doesn't come ; so on the artistic side, how things work / happen is not clear !

Sorry for the long list of comments, I just hope Ikari will be quite good one day :)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there can you add me to Skype please, so i can help you with Ikari tomorrow?

Cheers and apologies if you had any problem

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

About the bucket is probably because the layers you have selected are not the same as the colour you are editing, most users are confused by this tool.

About the undo is probably an error or something from my side i will check it.

About the instance mode, i can do a save button instead of a popup but i though it was going to be bad for the user, i will take a look.

About the bug error, is because something was deleted, in this case the data of the editor of Ikari, it will generate another one if there is no data.

Anything i left? Please let me know i want to upgrade Ikari with the feedback of the people that are using it.

Thanks in advanced

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone, new year's good news for Ikari Vertex Painter!

I'm working on bring Ikari Vertex Painter 2.0 to everyone as a free upgrade, expect a more clean code, less bugs and less anonnying issues, plus some goodies!

Thanks everyone for the support through this year it was fantastic!

PD: If anyone need access to the repository (Bitbucket) pm me with your order number and i will provide you access to the recent changes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

A quick question to everyone that owns Ikari, which one do you prefer; Blue or green?
    Sin título.png

18. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Quick update, i'm progressing in the update of Ikari Vertex Painter (IVP).
    I'm rebuilding the interface code since it was really messy, now it's using reflection in another class, all have built in undo with this change and it takes less miliseconds of cpu than before, so that's a win!.
    Captura de pantalla (39).png

Example of how is a float field with built in undo do now:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InterfaceBuilder.DrawFloatField("Brush Size", InterfaceBuilder.GetFieldName<IkariVertexPainter>((IkariVertexPainter x) => x.brushSize), brushSize);

Next steps will be continue with the interface, polish it more and redesign some things of it, also clean code and organize the functions properly since it's a mess right now (yeah i learnt a lot the last year haha)

See you in some days!

19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there it's me again today i have some more progress for Ikari Vertex Painter, today it was time to redo the toggles and sliders from the interface, i'm happy to say that it improve a lot the cpu time of the editor and as always it have built in undo.

What does mean low cpu times in this case for a non-coder person, it means that Ikari Vertex Painter is now a little more fast in the editor side and it probably going to improve the paint speed on old cpu's.

I also redo the get data function and now is more safe, it means that you can move the folder of Ikari Vertex Painter where you want.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the times (Unfortunately the Garbage Collection is from Unity interface so i can't really do a lot there!):

-SLIDERS
    Captura de pantalla (41).png

-TOGGLES
    Captura de pantalla (42).png

PD: I added a roadmap here for the users to see what i'm doing and what is done, i will update it every post, it helps the users and help me to motivate to work on the product so it's a win for both parts!

-Redesign the enums interface [X]

-Redo the colors interface [X]

-Implement a color wheel with an option to use it or not [X]

-Add icons for tools instead of an enum field since it's more fast [X]

-Tooltips. [X]

-Add a tab for hide the image of the editor. [X]

-Improve the save function of the assets based on feedback. [X]

-Improve the look function, not paint when you are using right click for move etc...[X]

-Improve the hotkeys. [X]

-Add a visual way to see which vertex the user is going to paint (Realtime visualization with dots or also color, maybe add an option here for choose. [X]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone, small update here, i'm still doing some things and completed some tasks of the roadmap but i didn't post it, tomorrow i will!

Cheers!

21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone, as i said i was going to post things here today, progress so far:

-Set up a trello site for Ikari: IVP Trello , here you can see the progress i'm doing and vote for the tasks you think are important

-Fixed paint when you where looking around with the right button of your mouse, now you can move freely over the scene even if you are in paint mode and without fear of paint anything when moving.

-Redoing Editor interface, here is a little photo of the in progress interface, as you can see i deleted the logo, but it's a little ugly right now so i though about redesign it a little, still in progress.
    snip_20160118221353.png

22. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, i was so busy this days but i'm still working on Ikari as soon as i can, i'm on my way of do the new interface, it's not only the interface that i'm doing, i'm also cleaning and tweaking a lot of bad code i had in the asset, step by step to the glory!

Proof of work:
    snip_20160125225513.png

Captura de pantalla (44).png

23. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, more progress over here, i fixed a lot of issues related to the selection of the objects, i also added some hints about what happens about the objects, i still need to add a function for add an automatic collider.

Captura de pantalla (48).png

24. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hey guys pretty busy these days i hope i can get a ikari update for the 15 of this month or soon!

Apologies and cheers!, if there is anything broken enough i can fix it without release the new version so tell me!

25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ikari Vertex Painter 2.0 is launching off !

Changelog:
    -Changed the way the editor script get the path, now it's more safe.
    -Changed organization of the folders and added a new one called InternalResources, this one contains all the editor need for work.
    -Changed the way the colors are used in Ikari Vertex Painter, now it have a primary and secondary color instead of paint and erase colors.
    -Deleted the ability to select between primary and secondary colors because the swap function is the same.
    -Optimized shaders and updated to the last version of Shader Forge
    -Optimized a lot of code from the editor.
    -Fixed shaders errors
    -No shadows for unlit shaders
    -Fixed layout issues related to the editor scroll
    -Tweaked paint, now you can't paint when looking around (3DS Max Style)
    -Tweaked interface sliders.
    -Deleted background from the title (still need to improve this part..)
    -Fixed graphics from the editor window
    -Fixed alpha textures not rendering properly
    -Now all the graphics are taken in the initialization.
    -More i can't remember right now, enjoy!

There are still a lot of things i need to do so expect more updates! : )

Submitting for review right now!

26. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Submitted for review, here is a free code for celebrate the version 2.0
    ASV-JTDE-4CJ4-JLMR-HMK6-RGAR

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot to everyone who is supporting me, it gave me the motivation to update the package over the whole year, but there is still more to do!

Stay frosty!

27. Hazor

Hazor

Thanks a lot KirbyRawr ! :)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  28. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ikari Vertex Painter 2.0 is out, but this is not the end!

29. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New update is on the works, it features skin mesh render paint and bugfixes!

30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New Update sent to review!

-Fixed paint downwards (Thanks to Romain Renault for the report)
    -Added Skin Mesh Render paint (Thanks to Romain Renault for the report)
    -Added Multimaterial show vertex (Thanks to Romain Renault for the report)
    -Some more fixes.

The next version will contain more fixes and maybe a big feature ; )

Cheers!

31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone 2.1 was accepted in the Asset Store, meanwhile i'm preparing other version with more fixes and changes on save mode based on user's feedback, thanks everyone!

Cheers!

32. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Quick Update over here, i'm refactoring almost all the code of Ikari since it was spaghetti code, with this i want to get more stability, less bugs and have more organized code, i will also be changing the save mode for support some external files.

Cheers!

wolfen231 likes this.
  33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Refactorization is in progress, i almost completed the scrap of the main functions but there is still a lot to do, i also refactorized the part of the interface again since i didn't like the use of reflection there.

I don't have a ETA but i will be working hard over the week.

Cheers

wolfen231 likes this.
  34. wolfen231

wolfen231

Don't forget that Probuilder support hehehe.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

First pass of the refactorization completed, as you can see on the image now all is more organized, there is still job to do but it's ok for now.

upload_2016-3-17_0-37-53.png

I also fixed some stupid issues like the gizmo not being cleared when you press stop paint, cleaned the code a lot, etc...

I'm now looking at the undo and redo functions for the meshes (Mostly done, some small issues over there) and at the new save system.

I wanted to do a new save system because the save system that Ikari Vertex Painter have right now is not as easy and intuitive as i wanted it to be, so with this i want to fix this issue and the issue of the Instance vs Asset.

My plan is first redo the instance mode:
    -If you save the scene with the instance painted it will save the data on the scene not on the original mesh.
    -If you drag and drop to the hierarchy for create a prefab it should create a .asset mesh automatically for save the data.
    -It won't touch the original file.

[DONE]

The next plan i have is redo the asset mode (This is the hardest part):
    -It will save the data on the file affecting the others instance that haven't been painted as a instance.
    -It will allow you to export the file and modify it in a external model tool keeping the data.
    -Formats i want to support by priority (FBX, DAE, OBJ)

Let's see how the week goes!

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  36. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Quick update over here.

I almost finished the instance save mode, i also fixed 2 serious bugs that the instance mode had, there is still one thing i need to do and is override the drag and drop function (Create prefab).

Now if you paint a gameobject with a mesh in instance mode and copypaste another and you paint this one in instance mode, it will generate another instance of that mesh.

I also improved the gameobject data and it shouldn't be include in the builds anymore, so if you compile a final version it won't have any data of ikari anymore, preventing leaks of memory, etc... (Not this case but still, better safe than sorry)

My next step is to continue with the prefab thing in which i'm stucked at the moment, then i can continue with the external formats. First i think i will complete the prefab and the .asset save (with no bugs this time) and release a version, then i can continue with the external files thing that is going to take me more time.

Cheers!

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Instance to Prefab finished.
    I did it more easy for the user and now there is a button in the object, also the save modes will be deleted and now if you want to save a mesh as a .asset you will be able to do that in the object itself, instead of mess with paint and sh*t.

Now i only need to polish a couple of things before release the new update and i can continue with the external formats, now is more clean and polished!

Prefab.gif

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  38. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, new update over here, i fixed the hotkey system so now you can expect better workflow when using them, i also polished small bugs on the prefab to instance and polished another amount of bugs of the editor.
    I also reorganized the foldout section and now it's more small and clean.

About the dae files i started to implement them so you can expect something soon (i hope!!)

Cheers everyone!

39. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Oh and btw i pushed an update with this changes:

-Cleaned and refactorized a lot of code.
    -Reorganized foldouts in editor.
    -Added instance to prefab.
    -Fixed instance mode
    -Fixed multiple bugs.
    -Fixed paint hotkey, i'm reorganizing the hotkeys system so for now there is only this one.
    -Fixed brush not being cleared when stop painting.
    -Fixed copy paste of instance prefab
    -Fixed multiple editor bugs.
    -More things i can't remember.

Cheers!

40. retmia

retmia

Hello Kirby,

Thanks a lot for the Various upgrades in the update.

Few questions :
    - Do you have any idea on the schedule when you will manage to add the possibility to directly work with external formats, first with *.dae and then with *.fbx ? (sorry I'm always coming back with that, but it's a very essential feature I think, and I musn't be the only one dreaming of the perfect vertex painting fbx workflow inside unity !)
    (Idealy simply writting on the fbx, without even asking to save. So the user handles with Unity Project Window his/her files, via copy / paste, so you don't have to worry about the saving options)
    - What is the handle outline ?

Also,
    - I noticed that the bucket tool to fill the object is not working.
    - Ctrl-Z is not always working either.
    - I don't have access to the IVP object data component like shown in your gif (though I think a such option should be available on Ikari window directly, with the rest of related options and tools).
    - Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the shortcut seems to not be working totally fine. The can activate OR desactivate, but it seems they can't do the two when enabled.
    - I have errors related to Ikari in my scene, it might be related.

Few ideas :
    - Add a button to add / remove a mesh collider, in the objects properties menu.
    - Add the possibility to hide the big logo on the top.
    - Avoid Pulldown Menus when they are not necessary, they are slower to navigate than simple buttons.

Sorry for such a long list of comments !
    I hope it helps, you can come and talk via Skype if you want me to clarify some points.

Regards.

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  41. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there Retmia, i have good and bad news for you.
    First of all thanks for the reports i saw most of them and a fix is planned for them!

About the dae i almost completed the integration however i will need to think about the flow since if you modify it directly it will affect to the instancea you have unless you painted them as instance and i need to see how i handle the multimesh thing :).

The integration for fbx will probably come when i finish the dae one.

I don't have a estimated eta but since you said to me that you need it for the next week i will be working hard in the weekend for try to get it!

Cheers my friend, thanks for the support!

42. retmia

retmia

Hello Again,

Yeah I imagine that developping the right code behind must be a Puzzle Headache :)
    But really I think that having the possibility to write directly on the model seems to be a good option, the fastest one because there is no more saving to handle.
    The second best option, would be a button (I like buttons) to simply "save mesh" so we can work on the scene, and when we hit the button, boom the model is saved with color data ! No pop-up window !
    The next option would be to have the saving window poping with the directory of the mesh we're working on, instead of the project root, because then you lose time browsing in the folders.

I have a lot of work to do, so I can wait for the function to be integreted. Though if you can make the fbx thing for the end of april, it would be really awesome !
    I had a look on dae, I'd like to try your workflow, but it seems to be a legacy format, there is no longer a native exporter on maya (there is a fbx-dae exporter though) and not very game oriented due to the size, the files a more than twice the weight of fbx equivalent. But if it can prepare for the difficult integration of fbx, then go for it ! :)
    Let's go with best standard (yaaay I'm annoying !) !

Thank you very much for the hard work !
    See you soon :)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

-Fixed selection mode.
    -Added new class for hotkeys.
    -Added new class for edit methods.
    -Undo is now fixed for paint.
    -Copy Vertex Colors hotkey readded.

Let's keep going!

44. retmia

retmia

Bravo Kirby !

I've checked the Vertex Painter of Unreal Engine via videos online ... And well ... it seems to handles the data from within, vertex color seems to be stuck in the engine and rather complicated to take out. So if you manage to make a good external format writter, you'll have achieved something a level above ! :)

Is the instance to prefab working now ? I'd like to try it ! :) (last time I couldn't load the script as shown on the video)
    Prefab seems to be a good option as we should be able to keep most of the data on the object. I often paint with my material applied. So if the material could be still applied when saving to prefab, that would be very nice :) Also prefab can handle objects with multiple meshes.

Can we paint objects with multiple meshes ? That could be a very nice option. Having a menu to show and hide meshes inside the prefab that we want to paint. And a button instead of a script ! :D
    It appears that we have to save the mesh and prefab at the moment, why not saving the mesh(es) inside the prefab directly ?

Thank you a lot ! :)
    Regards !

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  45. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I will try my best!

About the save mesh it should work properly, however i'm thinking about one case it wouldn't work, in the past i was hiding it, and now not so maybe you are editing a old instance? I will fix that!

The material is saved aswell with the prefab, tbe prefab should support multiple meshes however i will check it and give another view.
    If you send to me hardcore tests i will do them to ensure the quality of the product.

The meshes can't be saved in the prefab directly since they are instances and if you don't save that instance somewhere you will lost it.

I will be fixing a lot of bugs this week and trying to continue with the dae format (I want to end this atleast because Blender have this as default and it will be a good addition to Ikari aswell).

I'm planning to do a new feautre aswell but it will be on the future, it's live preview, if you put your brush over the object it will show you how it will be if you press click.

Cheers and thanks for the motivation!

46. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone, Ikari Vertex Painter is going open-source!

What this mean for previous buyers?:

Nothing at all, i will still be updating the asset from time to time and bugfixing, i will have more support for buyers since you paid for it, so you deserve it.

What this mean for the people who didn't buy it?:
    You will have an asset that had been updated since 2014 for free, you will have the code at your hands for mess with it or fix issues, you can also send me a pull request for features or fixes (I will appreciate it a lot)

I will put also a donate button for the people who want to support this asset.

So in the next weeks expect it to be open-source under Apache 2.0 license.

It will still be up on Asset store but free and with a donation link.

Cheers!

47. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there everyone i submitted Ikari Vertex Painter to the asset store for free, in the next weeks you should expect a update from me of the asset with some bugfixes and additions.

Let's paint!!

48. wolfen231

wolfen231

Just curious on what brought you to this decision.

49. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Wolfen, it's mostly because i usually have a lot of work and i can't focus on Ikari most of the time, i didn't want it to die like other assets in the market so i said why not make it open source and update from time to time?

So that's what i did, the paid users still have some benefits vs free users but it's all support of serious bugs and features.

I hope you understand it

wolfen231 likes this.
  50. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ikari Vertex Painter is now out free, open source and ready to paint your meshes!

I will update it soon and the code will be put in a repository in github under Apache 2.0 license!