Search Unity

Ikari Vertex Painter [Free, Open Source!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirbyrawr, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

IVPTitle.png
    Repository:
    Available under Apache 2.0 License here:
    https://bitbucket.org/Kirbyrawr/ikari-vertex-painter

Link to the Asset Store (It should feature the last version however in the repository can be a new version of the asset):
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24645

Features:
    -Free Unity and Pro Unity compatible.
    -Paint Mode.
    -Erase Mode.
    -Per Object / All mode..
    -Brush tool.
    -Adjustable brush strenght.
    -Adjustable brush size.
    -Adjustable angle limit.
    -Bucket tool (Compatible with channels).
    -Adjustable bucket size.
    -Color channels for paint on the color you want
    -Instance / Asset mode.
    -Undo for meshes and editor.
    -Editor properties will be saved.
    -Object properties will be saved with the scene.
    -Show vertex colors.
    -Copy/paste of vertex colors.
    -Customizable Hotkeys.
    -Customizable Handle.
    -Help system.
    -Uninstaller.
    -Intuitive Editor.
    -Save to Prefab
    -Shaders and textures of the screenshots included and demo scene aswell.

Screenshots:
    snip_20160118221353.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Update 1.0a submitted.
    It contains:
    -Fixes on the scene.
    -Critical Fix for some slowdowns when you closed the editor.

3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there a user of Ikari Vertex Painter made this awesome tutorial video for the tool, it explains almost all the functions with a lot of details and in Unity 5, is worth to see : )

I will put out one update soon with some bugs squashed!

4. Scribble

Scribble

Hi KirbyRawr - Glad to see there's atleast one Vertex painting tool that works on unity 5. Since we users still can't preview software before buying, theres a thing thats been preventing me from comitting to buying Ikari.

Im looking for a vertex painting tool that offers me depth blending shaders, particularly shaders that lets me have a seperate mask input dictate the blend between 2 or more textures (example image from RTF)
    (example image from UE)

As you see im looking for hard blending, not the soft blending prevalent in most blend shaders from other packages.
    Hope you tell me ikari has this or a shader like this is planned. :) then its a def. buy!

5. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there at the moment there is no heightmap shader in the pack, however i can try to do one, but as i said there is not!
    I will add it to the shaders list! And if you need to test or anyone the tool i can provide a demo via pm!

Thanks!

Oh and about the ao border i think it's bump map effect or maybe there is a AO map in that shader...

I like the challenges so i will try to do a good one!

6. Scribble

Scribble

Super cool - The AO border isnt a priority at all. Your feedback and enthusiasm has really showed me that this is the right product to go with :D, i'll happily chip in as another customer :D, cant wait to see what happens in the next update!

7. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hey @Scribble thanks a lot!, i will assist you in everything you need and if i don't reply within a day apologies in advance!

I will start making your shader and maybe more goodies this weekend!

Cheers, have a nice day!

Scribble likes this.
  8. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New update is in review, it will come with some fixes and optimization for the shaders, the advanced blending shader is still not included!

9. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New update in review, it contains only art changes!, the code update will come later!

10. chaseholton

chaseholton

Hey man! Love the plugin and what it does! My only question has to do with performance, I've seen a few others with performance issues and I was just wondering if there has been a solution yet or is it isolated to certain components?

Retina Macbook Pro 2014 w/
    i7 2.5 ghz
    16gb 1600 mhz DDR3
    GT 750M 2GB

EDIT: tested on Unity 5.0.3 (some plugins for my current game work best in 5.0.3 compared to 5.1.1 so if this is the issue I'll update to 5.1.1!)

There's also a few Stackoverflow Exception errors that pop up but I don't quite understand what that means or why they are there...

I've seen your videos and the tutorial video made and it seems to run fine! Is it an OpenGL issue on OS X or something?? Sorry if this has been smashed over your head by many people, I'm super excited to use this tool!

EDIT2: Tested it on 5.1.1 as well, still getting the errors, but only in this current game I'm working on. On a different project it isn't happening... so now I'm curious as to what I've done to my current project to not allow it to work lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there
    Hi there i'm actually with limited internet since i'm far away for a month but i will try to fix those errors, i need to check what's happening there and for performance i have something like a cache of the vertex of the object in mind so i think i will fix it, i hope soon!

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Unfortunately i wasn't able to see what's causing the bad lags users are reporting and i tested it also on a mac, can you please try to paint your model in another clean project to see if this is happening?

Thanks!

13. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Roadmap Update #1
    -Shaders gloss is now roughness based on PBR shaders of Unity.
    -Updated shaders to the last version of Shader Forge.
    -Deleted some unused parameters for make them more fast and small.
    -Fixed errors related to Shader Forge inspector.

The next update is improve the performance of the Editor, stay tuned, each day i will try to post here a update for see how the things are going.

14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Sorry for not news i was really busy, but here is a good notice i improved the performance of the editor, now it should run better!
    Captura de pantalla (8).png

With this i can continue with the performance fixes, i will move now to the paint function where the people are reporting lags and issues.

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

One update was submitted to the Asset Store, this one doesn't contain the cache system but it improve the performance of the editor and of the shaders, also it fix the issues related to some shaders

16. Grihan

Grihan

Hi, it would be great to show the vertex alpha in model. I'm using a shader that uses RGBA vertex channels to put 4 different textures, so that option would be very useful :)

17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, the alpha channel is show as black with the "Show Vertex Colors" option, if you have any problem or want anything specific tell me! ^^

18. Grihan

Grihan

Hi, thanks for the quick response!
    mmm, but it would be useful to show only the alpha channel, in my case I use it as another channel for a shader with 4 textures (r+g+b+alpha), I don't use it for opacity

19. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Oh you mean a shader that can paint a texture in the alpha channel? I think it's done and it's inside the package, check Ikari Vertex Painter RGBA Blend and tell me if it works for you :), if not i will do a new one based on your necessities

And no problem!

20. Grihan

Grihan

no, thanks I have the RGBA Blend shader :)
    This shader (from Alloy framework) use the Alpha channel for the fourth texture, so I mean I would need an option to see only the Alpha channel.
    For example, in 3dsmax, I can see the vertex RGB colors (http://puu.sh/jPmWS/7c46820d5c.jpg), but I can edit and show ONLY the vertex alpha channel: http://puu.sh/jPn5u/21111ea881.jpg.

21. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Ohhhh okey will do one!

22. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Btw update is up!

Grihan likes this.
  23. wolfen231

wolfen231

You use shaderforge for your shaders in this? Does that mean I can edit your shaders with my copy of shaderforge?

24. wolfen231

wolfen231

Unity 5.1.3p3

I can't even use this. When I go into paint mode its like I am in screenshot mode. Is this a known issue? Can I get this resolved somehow?

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  25. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi sir sent you a pm, let's see if we can fix this trouble!

26. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes, you can.

27. wolfen231

wolfen231

Awesome. Have some base ones to work with so I don't have to start from scratch haha.

28. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

And aswell if you need any particular shader i can do it for you (The limit is my knowledge), like i'm doing with other people.

29. wolfen231

wolfen231

If I can think of one I will, but I know my way around shaderforge. I just think its nice to have a set of shaders I can use as a base for vertex stuff that I can modify. ;)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  30. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there now it's available a option for choose to see different channels of the vertex colors, thanks!

31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

32. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, just a update related to the lag.

Actually Ikari Vertex Painter is highly optimized but some users were reporting slow downs.
    The reason behind is that ikari gets lag because of third party tools like "Prototype"

Here is a screenshot of the issue:
    Captura de pantalla (9).png
    While Ikari takes 0.05ms to draw the scene, prototype takes a lot more and do a lot of garbage collection.

EDIT: I talked to procore guys and they are trying to find a solution for that!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    wolfen231 likes this.
  33. wolfen231

wolfen231

Time to update my review. =)

34. wolfen231

wolfen231

And you can see with "Probuilder" on my machine it is way way bad.

That spike is the same problem. Kirbyrawr helped me find out what was going on. This was the result from our tests on my machine haha. My machine almost exploded hahahaha.

Attached Files:

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks, really appreciate, i will still be doing research and try to squash that bug of them! I will keep you update : )

36. wolfen231

wolfen231

The probuilder guys told me they found a way you can fix it on your end. They emailed you with the information. =)

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, i confirm that i got a fix, the update will be ready soon, the Procore team was very good supporting the issue.

wolfen231 likes this.
  38. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, submitted Ikari Vertex Painter 1.4:
    -Fixed Slowdowns with third party tools, thanks Wolfen231 and Procore Team.
    -Now you can choose what channels you want to see if it's enable the debug vertex colors.

wolfen231 likes this.
  39. wolfen231

wolfen231

Awesome! Yeah, Procore guys are pretty good people. =)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  40. leffe

leffe

Hello, we just bought Ikari and are having some issues with performance with Unity 5.2.
    Basically when i try to paint it just crawls to a stop and i can't do anything. Sometimes I can stop the painting but some of the time it crashes, it can also crash even if i have stopped the painting process.
    I have tried too just load Ikari in a new project but have experienced the same issues (the issue is worse in our main project). Is this a Unity 5.2 issue or something else?

On a different note i noticed that you need collision on the objects that are being painted, can this be changed somehow?

41. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hi, if you read up a little bit (on the forum here) you would see there was a very similiar issue to that. There is a fix submitted. Not sure if it will work in your case though. Do you happen to be using Probuilder / Prototype?

42. leffe

leffe

No, we do not use Probuilder or Prototype.

I just updated to 5.2.0 p1 and it did some for the performance, but not much.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  43. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi Leffe, the update is not still up, if you want the update you need to wait or to add me at skype, i can pass it to you if you need it!

EDIT: It's submitted but they didn't review it yet.

44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

The update seems to be up!, just update it for free and enjoy the new performance.

45. leffe

leffe

Looks like the patch fixed our performance issues. Thanks!

46. wolfen231

wolfen231

Nice. So now we know it wasn't strictly related to Procore set haha. But still major thumbs up to Kirby. He got it fixed none the less. =D

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  47. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I'm glad it worked out, if you have any more issues or suggestions just tell me :)

48. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yes haha that was a good fix, thanks again, i'm working on your suggestions btw! :)

wolfen231 likes this.
  49. cptSwing

cptSwing

Hello Kirby,

first off, thanks for the lightweight and functional Vertexpainter. Just what I needed, and easy on the wallet as well!

Now, I do seem to have problems painting vertex alpha values. Maybe a run-down of my attempts will help:

- Load model as FBX from 3ds Max (usually vertex alpha defaults to white here)

- add Mesh Collider

- In Ikari:

--> "Show Vertex Colors"
    --> uncheck all but "A" in Show Vertex Colors (boom it turns black)
    --> uncheck all but "A" in Paint Properties
    --> Choose white as color; paint
    --> Nothing happens?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Also, a cool feature for the future would be to automatically assign the mesh collider, and automatically remove it when finished with painting - I think it's used only for raycasting the brush?

Anyway, cheers for any answers!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  50. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, first of all thank you.

About the issue, in what part are you seoecting the channels, also check out that the angle limit is 180 or it won't paint because it's a limiter.

About the feature, that's a great idea but it have a little flaw, maybe someone doesn't want to remove the collider, but i will think about it!

Cheers