Search Unity

IK system doesn't move shoulders

Discussion in 'Animation' started by tigger, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tigger

tigger

Running 2019.2.6f1 on Mac.

I notice the IK system doesn't move shoulders. e.g., Place hands above the head. Shoulders don't budge.
    Is there a workaround for this? Any plans to fix?
    Thank you.

2. CptKen

CptKen

Doesn't sound like a bug.

I'm assuming you are referring to the in built IK which isn't a Full Body IK system. It's basic Two Bone IK from the base of the upper arm to the tip of the forearm. It will affect the upper arm and forearm rotations only.

You'll need a more robust IK system if you want shoulder movement. Something like FinalIK or Unity's new Animation Rigging package if you wan to set up the constraints manually.

3. tigger

tigger

Yes, I'm referring to the built-in IK system (OnAnimatorIK(), AvatarIKGoal, SetIKPosition() etc.)

I think I can get by with bone rotations to get the shoulder to adjust in response to hand positioning. In fact, for the domain in question (procedural walking, running, turning, kicking...soccer) using bone rotations for all arm movement might be the simplest approach.

The new Rigging package looks great (I wasn't aware of it. Thank you.) Looks like there's a lot to it. Not clear if it will help with the procedural walking / running stuff (?). The built-in ik system is working well for me wrt foot placement and leg movement.

Thank you for the response.

4. sickybee

sickybee

i have same problem, some workaround i have tried such as bone rotation fix with setbonelocalrotation by aiming the shoulder bone to IK target OR by muscle driver based on IK target position.
    But i find by muscle driver is the easiest, because dont have to limit the rotation (clamped -1 to 1) and still maintain IK target accuracy.

LudiKha likes this.