Search Unity

Feature Request IK Pole support?

Discussion in '2D' started by modernator24, May 31, 2023.

1. modernator24

modernator24

I'm using a 2D Animation package to rig my character. Making complex animations is convenient, but sometimes IK solver rotates unexpected rotations. In most inverse kinematic solutions, they have a feature something called "IK Pole," in which the bone is always pointing there so that you can prevent when the bone is pointing undesired direction. I think this must be added. In fact, it should have existed already from the first release. I can't believe Unity doesn't add it yet, it's been years since the release, but still don't have it.

2. MarekUnity

MarekUnity

Unity Technologies

@modernator24 which solver are you using? The Limb Solver has a 'flip' property that allows you to flip the direction in which the limb is pointing. Is it something that can help your use case?

The 2D IK system is relatively simple and currently doesn't contain advanced rigging features. The Animation Rigging package has pole (hint) transforms and other advanced rigging systems. However, it was designed for 3D workflows and might not work well with 2D animations.

3. modernator24

modernator24

@MarekUnity I'm not looking forward to a flipping feature; I want to eliminate unwanted random flips. Using Limb Solver 2D. It's really annoying, but I can't fix it.

4. MarekUnity

MarekUnity

Unity Technologies

Can you share a video of the issue or perhaps share a project in which I can reproduce the behavior that you are describing?