Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Start building your game today.

• AI Cars & Traffic System
    • Racing System
    • IK Avatar Driver System
    • Windows Standalone Racing Game Template
    • Dialogue & Event Timer Systems

Windows Standalone Game Template Beta

AI Cars & Traffic System

Arcade Racer includes a modular AI car system. Use it to create custom scripted or cut-scene content, traffic simulations, AI racer opponents or other scenarios where you might need a custom AI car.

Racing System
    Control race settings, number of racers, racer prefabs, rewards and more with a modular racing system that allows you to set race content & settings via scriptable object profiles.

IK Avatar Driver
    Add more style to the AI or player cars with the procedural inverse kinematics animated humanoid avatar and your own models; it steers, shifts (hand and foot), accelerates with foot, breaks with other foot, and looks in steer direction!

No DLLs to get in your way, all source code is included so you can make your game without limitations!

Now Includes the beta Windows Standalone Racing Game Template, which is great for starting a game/prototype or learning/referencing how all the various systems were used together to make a playable game demo!

Windows Standalone Game Template Key Features
    Windows Standalone Racing Game Template Demo
    • Out of the box controller support (PS4, Xbox One, or Keyboard)
    • Complete game flow between all scenes and modes
    • 4 user profiles to save progression data and settings with PlayerPrefs
    • Main menu
    • Options menu
    • Pause menu
    • Quick race menu - create closed circuit lap based races or pointA-to-pointB races with any number of racers.
    • Arcade race menu - A series of races with a knockout timer, increase time with each checkpoint reached. Run out of time and lose. Earn points on your finish position for each race. The top racers will earn a reward at the end of the series.
    • Championship race menu - create multiple series of races with any number of racers. Points are awarded based on finish position after each race. Series standings are shown after each race. Final series standings are show after the last race, the player receives a prize if their rank is high enough to receive a reward.
    • Garage scene menu system - vehicle selection, purchase and customization.
    • Player car customization systems - neon light, body, rim & window material colors.
    • Open world base-game system
    • Modular & scalable racing system
    • Scriptable object profiles for many systems make editing fast and easy
    • Modular AI racer and traffic route systems

Note: this asset is intended for intermediate to advanced Unity users. It includes many modular systems that can be used together or independent of each other, including: player car prefabs, AI car prefabs with volume sensors, intuitive traffic and AI route system, racing system, Windows game template, and more. Documentation and tutorials are available, but this package may be overwhelming for a beginner; customizing these systems requires knowledge of the Unity components used to create them.

For more details, please check the user manual. If you have any questions, please ask on the discussion forum.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Ony and Antypodish like this.
  2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

This looks very cool :) Why though do the hands seem to lag behind the steering wheel rotation, also can you control the wrist angles, it looks quite unnatural with the sharp angles at the wrists.

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks.

The hand targets move between the wheel targets using Lerp, I can expose the rate at which they move from point to point. Without smoothing they would move a bit too fast, but it makes sense to be able to adjust this anytime as it does seem a bit slow with the current rate.

You can control all of the IK targets, they can even be referenced by script, then re-positioned and rotated at runtime to provide even more realistic avatar targeting, I'll adjust the demo to look a bit better..

Thanks for the questions.

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver is now available. This asset is also included in my Racing Game Template.

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver has a lot of objects and components on the rig that work together to bring the avatar to life. I've prepared a tutorial that will explain how the rig works as well as provide a demonstration of how the avatar and car model can be replaced.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    jonfinlay likes this.
  6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.01 is available.

-Added default steering wheel rotation field to IK Driver script inspector.

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.02 submitted.

-Minor visual improvements to demo scene.
    -Added a detailed PDF with many screenshots for step-by-step instructions on changing the avatar and car model.

NOTE: PDF setup guide is also available for download here

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.03 submitted.

-Updated demos
    -Added "Steering Wheel Rotation Speed" variable to the IK Driver inspector.
    -Adjusted default IK Driver inspector settings to improve visual realism and quality.
    -Adjusted IK Driver script logic for steering hand positions to use Slerp instead of Lerp.

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.03 is now available.

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.04 submitted.
    • Improved IK Driver configuration options by adding an option to use only 2 hand targets for the steering wheel. Most professionally published games use this style with the steering wheel rotation clamped to around 90°.
    • Added toggle between 2-hand-targets and All-hand-targets to IK Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel rotation limit for for 2-hand-targets to Ik Driver inspector.
    • Added steering wheel shake slider to IK Driver the inspector.
    • Added a field for a Wheel Collider to be assigned in the IK Driver inspector, this is used to reference the wheel RPM for steering wheel shake/vibration multiplier.
    • Removed unused textures.

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.04 is now available.

12. CoderPro

CoderPro

How i can try before buy this ? (ex webplayer or....)

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

14. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

I like the idea, but when I try the demo it just doesnt seem like the hands turn the wheel just feels like an animation over the top thats not connected, are there options to control how it works so the hands stay fixed on the wheel for longer etc?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

There are currently 2 options for hand steering, 2 or 8 targets. If 2 targets are used the hands stay fixed to the wheel and only move with the wheel. When using 8 target the hands move to the steering wheel target positions based on the steering wheel rotation which gets tied to vehicle input, the only option available to customize this is a "steering wheel rotation speed" variable. I do plan on improving the 8 target functionality by providing more control options, I'll pay some attention to this and try to improve it for the next update.

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Looks very kool The hand should move smoother from wheel to gearshift.

Paddle shift would be cool too.

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, shifting is too fast and needs to be smoothed a bit, I'll make sure to adjust that a bit for the next update and look into the paddle shift.

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver 1.05 WIP, new demo, driver model and scripting improvements including manual shifting option for included car controller coming soon.

Attached Files:

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

IK Driver 1.05 still WIP.. new track and demo environment is finished. I'll add manual shifting to the included vehicle controller and smooth out the IK shifting animation, then it will be ready to submit.

1.05 will have a price increase as well.

Attached Files:

20. CoderPro

CoderPro

Hi, is this support for fps hands rig ? not only for human rig !

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi, IK Driver is designed for humanoid rig only to provide the avatar with a procedural animation based on user input and vehicle states.

22. CoderPro

CoderPro

I hope you will support for hand rigs not only for human rig. Because, if i am in the car, i'm not need to rig for legs,..etc. This things will good for mobile performance.

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't have any plans to add or support a hands only rig. There is an option to disable IK in the inspector, I can also add an option to allow the targets to still move while IK is disabled if you like; then you can use the IK targets for custom use cases. IK Driver has been tested on mobile and performance is good. You can test on mobile an older version of the IK driver rig used in my Android Racing Game Template Demo.

The goal of IK Driver is to use Unity's Inverse Kinematics to animate a humanoid avatar to add realism to the vehicle no matter the view angle, this is the core foundation of IK Driver. This can be important for simulation, VR, multiplayer, scenes that use multiple cameras or any other scenario where the driver may be visible and more realism is desired.

Attached Files:

24. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have already built a whole racing game for mobile that is using a different car controller that I have, and now what I want is to be able to add an animated avatar with that can move the steering wheel when the wheels move.

So, Please, I want to know how is possible to use a different car controller and be able to use the animated hands on steering wheel and use the rear view mirror

I have seen already the Video tutorial and the manual, and it looks very good and well done, and maybe this could be related to this topic

The image above shows the RG_IKDriver.cs script attached to the Humanoid Avatar.
    This driver can be disabled or enabled at anytime, the script looks up the horizontal/vertical axis input values used by the car controller on lines 102, 203 & 204, edit the reference if your controller is using a different input method. Mobile input is referenced on lines 100, 162 and 163 by referencing the
    UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput.CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis() .

Can the RG_IKDriver be used independently from your own car controller that you have done?

thanks very much for your help and for the making the video tutorial and well done manual

VERSION 1.05 WIP ?

I have seen that you are working on version 1.05, and would like to know if you may know about when it could be available, I mean if it would be maybe this month or for next month, or later

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello, I'm almost done with the v1.05 update, when I finish I will make new tutorials to show how to customize the included car controller and avatar as well as how to add the IK Driver avatar to a different car controller. (note: the new version will also have a new more advanced car controller with options for manual shifting).

That being said, it's also not very difficult to use the IK Driver rig with another vehicle controller. I attached a screenshot with the required objects highlighted, you would want to move those to be a child of your new vehicle controller. Then position their transforms to fit/match the desired position for your vehicle. The IK Driver's animation are all controlled through player input, most car controllers use horizontal/vertical input so it might just work. If the controller does not use those inputs to accelerate, brake and steer you can edit the script to assign your proper inputs.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. horizontalInput = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
    2. verticalInput = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");
    I will likely map these input assignments to the IK Driver inspector before submitting the coming update to make it possible to reassign input without editing the script.

Attached Files:

SpaceRay likes this.
  26. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW!! Thanks very much for your very fast answer, and the good news about that is possible to a different car controller, and that version 1.05 is almost done and that you will make new tutorials

I have just bought it and will try to see if I can make it work

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Stephen_O likes this.
  27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

You're welcome, let me know if you run into any issues and I'll be happy to help.

28. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I really like that screenshot, reminds me of Assetto Corsa with those camera views, and one of the biggest selling points in my opinion. But how polished are the cameras? Do they use hinges? Does the FPS camera showing only the hands follow the driver's eyes as he turns left or right?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Stephen_O likes this.
  29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, I really need to look into that game, everyone keeps mentioning it. :)

The chase camera system does not use hinges but rather an algorithm that allows the camera to rotate and become offset by a specified amount based on the user input and car velocity in relation to its max speed. The helmet camera is attached to the avatar head on the IK Driver rig, the avatar head has a look target that is also offset by a configurable amount and uses user input to look toward the direction the user input is applied for, there are also clamps to limit how far the head can turn in a direction, speed of turning, and speed of snapping back when the direction changes. While driving with the helmet camera this helps to create a sense of actually being in the car.

I'll post some more information here soon on this subject to better outline and visualize the functionality.

jonfinlay likes this.
  30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.05 is almost ready for submission, final QA is being done, then new documentation and tutorials will be produced. Here's a couple screenshots and sample of the improved mobile controller.

IK Driver Mobile Car Controller 2.jpg IK Driver Avatar Targets.jpg IK Driver Demo Track.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    carbon-bird and jonfinlay like this.
  31. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.05 submitted. Video tutorials and PDF documentation to match the new content will be updated and made available over the next week.

antoripa likes this.
  32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

1.05 is now available! New tutorials and PDFs will be produced this weekend.

antoripa and jonfinlay like this.
  33. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, have you got a demo to test out the new version? Do the physics use Unity's wheel colliders? When I tested out your main pack, I felt the car stuck too much to the road, not sure if that can be changed or not. Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

I hope to have a WebGL demo ready to publish tonight. More info package info will also be made available soon after.

Yes, the vehicle controller does use wheel colliders. There are some options you can adjust so the vehicle can slide around a bit to make it more of a drifting type of controller, adjusting the sideway friction values on wheel colliders can also help the car to slide around more. There is a steering helper variable that allows you to tighten or loosen that aspect of the vehicle controller. I attached an inspector sample so you can view some of the options.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    jonfinlay likes this.
  35. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Looks much better! I bought this car a few weeks back and thought it would look with your system https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/74638

The only issue was with the physics, as the older cars had far less grip than today. Also, here is an example footage from Assetto Corsa which reminded me of your IK driver. I saw in your screenshots you have a camera set up like this which is what first attracted me to your new version, so worth showing it off in your promo vids. But I'll give it some more thought, and make a decision by the weekend. You'll definitely doing a great job by the looks of it though. I see you have the mirrors working well, perhaps in the future you would consider adding a speedometer and tachometer .

Stephen_O likes this.
  36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for sharing the video!

I still have more plans to focus on the details of different aspects of the driver and the asset as a whole. The cars grip can easily be adjusted to be very loose or tight, there are a few other options that can let you adjust how the vehicle physics feel. Also, the driver can be used with other vehicle controllers and does not require the included vehicle physics.

There is a basic UI included with speedometer, throttle, and nitro read outs for the included vehicle controller; moving forward I do want to take the time to design a set of nice looking UI images for this asset, current images are very plain. I'm still working on getting various footage to make a proper demo video that shows off more of the included features and options.

jonfinlay likes this.
  37. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

38. CoderPro

CoderPro

This look like animations. Not using IK.

Stephen_O likes this.
  39. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I agree that you shouldn't waste time with the UI, I personally don't like any kind of UI. What I meant was a gauge that the appears on the dashboard showing the speed and rev-meter, since the in-car helmet view is the best view in my opinion. Another feature I was thinking was a free-look camera view, which moves the players helmet (and with it the camera) using the mouse, that way the player can look around inside the car and also outside the windows while he's driving. This way it can fully show off the driver's IK, but also the car's interior, since some models on the Asset Store have some really excellent interiors. Perhaps Shifting could be done with the mouse buttons as well.

Quite possible, to be honest I wasn't referring to the hand movements but rather the camera views. I remember when it was first released and I was on iRacing, and I'm sure it sold many copies simply because of the camera views because the reactions on the iRacing forum were so positive. iRacing is a far better simulator, but Assetto Corsa does give you a great 'sensation' of being in a car, in part because of many camera angles from behind the driver (only really useful for replays though).

Stephen_O likes this.
  40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I think they are animation too, the game likely has slightly different anims required for each vehicle.

All good points and have been noted. I planned on adding the free-look camera soon, I'll consider adjusting the camera system soon to be open and allow for more views to be added much easier while also setting up more default views. The mouse shifting is great suggestion I'll work in getting it in soon too. I'll also take some time to setup some world space ugui gauges..

jonfinlay likes this.
  41. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hi, Is this already available?

I have seen that the PDF is still version 1.03

I have seen that on the readme file is a link to this video that is put that is published today 17 February?, so is this the new tutorial for 1.05?

https://youtu.be/4_ruOs-xWF0

thanks very much for your help

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Stephen_O likes this.
  42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi,

IK Driver 1.05.1 is now available with all the new features, I hope to have PDF and video tutorials completed tomorrow evening; I will post here when they are ready.

43. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hi, I can happily say that I have been able to put your IK Driver into my own car with my own car controller thanks to your comments and suggestions you gave me and from the video tutorial

I have mainly taken the same driver and the folders you told me to add to my own car and then have taken screenshots of the configuration of your demo car, and then I have configured it the same in my own car, and it WORKS!!!

By the way, the driver 3d model you have choosen is excellent and great with those gloves and the silver suit.

Stephen_O likes this.
  44. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Excellent news, the old tutorial is still valid I just want to redo it so it matches up 100% with new features and also explain them in some more detail.

45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The first PDF for IK Driver, "Replacing the Vehicle Model" is now ready; this covers most everything you need to get started. A PDF for replacing the avatar will be made available next, followed by one detailing the functionality of the vehicle controller system.

Attached Files:

Inspeinre and jonfinlay like this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The second PDF for IK Driver, "Replacing the Vehicle Model" is now available. I will still create another that covers inspector properties.

IK Driver 1.05.2 has been submitted with PDFs will be included in the asset package.

Attached Files:

jonfinlay likes this.
  47. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Good to hear. Is the price going to change along with the next update?

Stephen_O likes this.
  48. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Not with 1.05.2, it might go up a little more when I finish the video tutorials and last of the PDF's which would complete all my updates for the asset with v1.05.3, although I want to try to keep it at this price if possible.

jonfinlay likes this.
  49. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've created an upgrade option for IK Driver users, if you have IK Driver you now have the option to upgrade to the full Racing Game Template for the difference in price (currently $55).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  50. danangs

danangs

Is this support for steer wheel on right position, and change gear on the left hand ?, because some country steer wheel on right.