Search Unity

►► Arcade Racer: Racing Game Development Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephen_O, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

None yet :(, but I can offer some insight about my dev process.

This update is part of and in-between a couple of other major asset changes I'm working on for the racing template, sorry for announcing it and keeping you hanging.. they just all tie together and I'm working on sorting out big picture stuff with this update so everything works well together.

I'm currently building an environment for a remake of the racing template. After the environment is done I can resume testing and complete IK Driver updates, which will be released before I actually finish my remake.

There are a number of things I found while working with the new properly scaled environment too that I want to work into the IK Driver vehicle controller so the controller itself handles a bit better out of the box.

So in summary, once I'm done with the current task I'm on, IK driver will be the main focus. I haven't forgotten about it, but I may be moving a little slower due to my contract work piling up.. I'm going to try drinking some more coffee to move faster!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    nikorenos likes this.
  2. nikorenos

nikorenos

okay, thanks for the info :)

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It looks like I might have an update before 1.07.. since the AI needs more work before I can submit and I have improvements ready, I'm going to push these in first.

The improved feature is for IK Steering Wheel Rotation settings, I improved steering wheel target settings and logic for left and right hands, allowing for larger steering ranges with improved animation (no arms crossing).

Steering rotation setting in video is 360, which allows for a complete left or right turn of the wheel, totaling 720 degrees of rotation from far left to far right.

I'm going to do some more testing and tweaks to this, then I'll look into improving the current tachometer to be a little more realistic before submitting the update.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. nikorenos

nikorenos

Great to hear that :) And tachometer will display speed as number or as rotating indicator?

Stephen_O likes this.
  5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

So this is the current state of dashboard UI, it's the same as on screen UI. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated :)

There's currently a digital speedometer, I don't really have plans to add a rotating needle as an indicator for speed, but maybe it's a good idea and won't be too hard to do since It'll almost be the same math equation that I'll use for tachometer upgrade..

The current tachometer is the red radial indicator.. although this is not very accurate as sometimes it will read 0, like while in neutral, pictured below.

I'm planning to replace the red radial indicator with an actual rotating needle that points to some number values.. the actual values used by the vehicle controller are not real-world like, but I'll come up with something to make it feel and look much better than what it currently is.

current tachometer.jpg

6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Improved full steering range a bit and animation seems a bit better, testing the setup with the steering wheel on the right side.

7. nikorenos

nikorenos

Current tachometer is more appropriate for sport cars, but it'd be great to have also version for usual cars, which is more realistic. I mean two indicator, one for speed second for engine rotations, something like this:

If it wouldn't take much time I think it's worth to add :)

Improved full steering range is great, but I've noticed left hand too rapidly disappears from the sight during gears changing.

Stephen_O likes this.
  8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the reference, I think I can get the setup to look similar.

About the gear shifting feedback, I do plan on fixing that before submitting. The problem is the time it takes to shift needs to be different depending on how far away the shifter is from the hands current position. I'm going to rethink this logic and come up with a better solution.

nikorenos likes this.
  9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I updated the shift animation logic, I think it's starting to look better.. Going to tightien it up, test a bit more then on to the tachometer which should be short work in comparison.

10. nikorenos

nikorenos

Yes, now it looks better, but still hands do not exactly fit steering wheel. Gear shifting is now ok :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, the steering wheel does need more work and testing, I'll be spending more time on that before moving on and submitting the update. I think I mentioned that in my mail to you but not the above post :)

12. nikorenos

nikorenos

13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Analog tachometer, speedometer and new nitro gauge are all up and running. I'll spend some time updating the dashboard UIs with the new components, then go back to improving the full range steering animation. Once this is at a good point and I've tested a good amount I'll submit, I estimate a few more weeks to complete..

nikorenos likes this.
  14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.6.5 submitted

• Improved scripting logic for multiple scripts, including vehicle controller and avatar.
    • Improved shift animation quality.
    • Improved full steering range animation quality.
    • Improved multiple script inspectors.
    • Added UI rearview mirror.
    • Added analog needle component, for UI speedometer and tachometer.
    • Added analog spedometer and tachometer to world space vehicle dashboard.
    • Nitro audio is now a vehicle component instead of being spawned as needed.
    • Removed 1 of the demo scene trees to improve performance and reduce package size.
    • Changed IKDriver avatar wheelcollider reference to rigidbody for calculating steering shake intensity.
    • Removed PDFs to reduce package size -online manual is now available.

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.6.5 is now available.

16. facundogalella

facundogalella

So, I can use this asset with non wheel collider assets? NHW Vehicle Physics/Wheel Controller 3D? I installed this physics yesterday and I don't want miss your driver functions, great!

I tried the update and the IK steering wheel seems to be a bit far of the driver, I can't make the driver work properly at the moment. I should adjust the position of the steering wheel manually?

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The type of wheel collider won't make a difference, I used to use a wheel collider to calculate speed for steering wheel shake intensity - using a rigidbody now. IK Driver uses input values to calculate and produce the driver animations, specifically the vertical/horizontal axis input. I'm not sure what type of input NHW Vehicle Physics uses in their controller; if their input is not the same, some input remapping would be required.

Yes, the steering wheel will likely need to be moved a little for every vehicle. There are some tutorials available to show how to replace the vehicle, avatar and make some customizations: https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.06/en/topic/video-tutorials

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    facundogalella likes this.
  18. Barritico

Barritico

First of all, it is an excellent job. It works perfectly by following the tutorials.

However, I have a doubt. I have put these physics in my game:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/nwh-vehicle-physics-107332

... and I can not configure the driver to run the animations. I do not know if it's due to lack of compatibility or it's my fault.

Just in case ... is it compatible with any type of physics and cars or only with those mentioned in the tutorial?

Thank you very much and congratulations.

Stephen_O likes this.
  19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hi Barritico,

The author of NWHVP recently contacted me about integration with the RGT remake, I had mentioned the IK Driver Avatar to him but have not heard back yet.

The avatar is animated based on Horizontal/Vertical input axes, I'm not sure how NWH uses input. If it's not the same, the avatar input will need to be adjusted to use the same input as NWH for it to know how to animate.

Attached Files:

Barritico likes this.
  20. facundogalella

facundogalella

My current problem using this physics is, that my cameras are going crazy using the driver, I don't know if is by the system used in the WheelController, I can upload a video if is helpful.

I'm trying to fix this because both assets are awesome.

21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've only defined an integration process for RCC so far, it's found here https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.06/en/topic/avatar-rig-realistic-car-controller

If you're only adding the avatar rig to another vehicle controller it should not impact a camera system at all since there is nothing setup to do that. Feel free to post more info and I can try to help troubleshoot, but it sounds like your not using my camera system but another one.

22. Barritico

Barritico

I will keep trying and if I get it I inform in this forum.
    Thanks!!!

Stephen_O likes this.
  23. facundogalella

facundogalella

Yes, in fact I use my camera system, just because I want have the cameras in different keys.

I fixed the problem breaking the prefab of the driver and removing your helmet camera.

Stephen_O likes this.
  24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the update, I'll make sure to remove that camera from the avatar prefab in the next update.

25. facundogalella

facundogalella

Thank you!, another point: regarding my message of April 7th, in the prefab 'IK Driver Avatar Rig' the gameobjects of IK Steering Wheel and IK Objects are far of the driver model, and if I move this gameobjects the driver keep working bad. I'm not sure if is ok, but is hard to make it work properly, place the targets, etc.

After the last update I'm using the driver of the IK Driver Left Steering prefab and is going well at the moment because I can move all together.

Attached Files:

Stephen_O likes this.
  26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

This seems to be an unintentional setup bug on my end, I'll look into it tonight and push an update. Sorry about any confusion - they should both work the same.

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.6.6 submitted.

• Removed unused helmet camera from 'IKD_Avatar Rig' prefab.
    • Bug fix - Set proper position for ik objects and steering wheel on 'IKD_Avatar Rig' prefab.

28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've recently been in contact with the developer of NWH Vehicle Physics about creating an integration guide for the avatar driver prefab - this will allow you to use the IK Driver Avatar with NWH Vehicle Physics.

I'll be starting on it this weekend, I don't anticipate it will take too much time to setup and test.. I'll post here again before I submit the update.

29. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.6.7 submitted.

A new tutorial for using the IK Driver Avatar Rig prefab with an NWH Vehicle Physics vehicle prefab is also available for this update:
    https://www.turnthegameon.net/manuals/ik-driver/1.6/en/topic/avatar-rig-nwh-vehicle-physics

• Added option to disable steering wheel control from IKD_IKDriver script - for use with alternate vehicle controlers where the included steering wheel control mechanism is not wanted.
    • Added NWH Vehicle Physics and IK Driver Avatar prefab setup support guide to online manual.
    • Removed gear lookup logic - it's no longer required.
    • Added option to disable spawning the Standard IKD_UICanvas - this holds the chase camera UI.
    • Reduced tree texture sizes from demo scene to reduce package size.

30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Version 1.6.7 is now available.

31. Ali_unity

Ali_unity

Hi , Stephen
    I was unable to make mobile Controls work with RCC,
    Any suggestions how I can make mobile Controls including tilt work.

Stephen_O likes this.
  32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello Ali,

The developer from RCC should have a mobile controls setup guide floating around someplace, maybe somewhere in the documentation or an example scene - I don't recall where I saw it. If you're unable to find it try checking with him.

33. Ali_unity

Ali_unity

Hi,
    Upon contacting RCC Developer. This is what he said
    "You shouldn't take player's inputs. You must take vehicle's inputs.

yourCarController._steerInput
    yourCarController._gasInput
    yourCarController._brakeInput
    yourCarController._boostInput
    "
    I told him that IK driver gets input from horizontal and vertical and this was his reply .
    Now I have no idea what part of code I have to edit in IK driver .
    I need your help please .
    Thanks

34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

If that's the case then it sounds like his mobile and desktop controller don't use the same input types since everything works fine with the desktop version.

I'm sorry you're still experiencing trouble, I can take a look tonight after I finish work and begin making a guide to make sure IK Driver works with RCC mobile controller.

Ali_unity likes this.
  35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

if you'd like, you can contact me via email and I'll send you the asset changes before the update is available on the store.

37. Ali_unity

Ali_unity

Wow , Thank you so much, I am So Happy,
    Yes Please , I want the asset changes now via Email but im using IK Driver v1.06.3 , I got a lot of vehicles from cars to trucks , buses , etc which are already setup in older version and works perfect for me. That's why I never updated.

So, Is it possible to make these RCC Controller changes work with Older Version?
    and where i can get your email Please ?
    Thanks again for your time and Support.

38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I don't know that the upgrade would go great, I've made a lot of changes since then and some references will likely break. You can always try, but make a backup first just in case.

You can send to stephen@turnthegameon.com

39. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

The update is now available on the store.

40. Ali_unity

Ali_unity

I had to upgrade the project and I already re setup all my vehicles, now the RCC Controls are working flawlessly:) Thanks

Stephen_O likes this.
  41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

v 1.7 is still a work in progress.

This is a new AI vehicle controller prefab configured with the driver avatar using right hand driving (steering wheel on right side).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  43. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @Stephen_O,

I need your help in figuring something out I don't seem to get working. I'm adapting the Ik driver input so I can get it working as the Forza Horizon gamepad controls. One joystick axis to accelerate and another to deaccelerate/brake.
    This seems to be working fine however I can't seem to get the car into reverse. This is what I've done (IKD_VehicleInput):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void FixedUpdate ()
    2.         {
    3.             h = IKD_CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis(steeringAxis);
    4.             v = IKD_CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis(throttleAxis);
    5.             b = -IKD_CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis(brakeAxis);
    6.             v = v + b;
    7.             Debug.Log(string.Format("Forward value {0}", v));
    8.             emergencyBrake = (Input.GetKey (handBrakeKey) || Input.GetKey (handBrakeJoystick)) ? 1 : 0;
    9.             vehicleController.Move(h, v, v, emergencyBrake);
    10.         }
    So I added a brakeAxis that reads the inverse value, than I made sure the value of v is affected by that input. I've debugged this and the value of v does get negative values. However no reverse drive is occuring. Setting the throttleAxis to the 'normal' Vertical values meaning the actual keyboard up and down arrow it seems to work as expected but not what I want? Any help or pointers on why my code isn't working would be great.

44. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Some extra issues I'm facing: when setting the top speed to 250 KPH and 8 gears in the controller (inspector) and start driving in automatic mode does only shift from gear 0 till 3 with a topspeed of 101. Why?

Stephen_O likes this.
  45. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I suspect this might have something to do with the vehicle's IKD_VehicleController script not getting a value it needs to reverse, mainly making sure currentGear gets set to -1.

These values are set when the vehicle controller is reversing using the default input:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IKD_VehicleController.currentGear = -1
    2. IKD_VehicleController.currentGear.reversing = true
    3. IKD_VehicleController.currentGear.canReverse = true

cygnusprojects likes this.
  46. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

With a fresh download, I created a speed test using a large plane and IKD_VehicleController_LeftSteering prefab, with Top Speed to 250 and No Of Gears set to 8. I was able to get up to 165 on gear 4. _1.jpg

I changed the vehicle's Rigidbody Drag to 0.08. This allowed me to get to 250 with gear readout at 5.
    _2.jpg

I did get the gear readout to 8 by setting No Of Gears to 12 - this appears to be a bug; I'll look into why the number of gears doesn't scale up properly and is only relevant to the amount you would expect from setting that value (reverse and neutral are currently counted). Thanks for bringing this up, I'll make sure it's fixed soon.

47. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Where are those values set by default? I scanned the code over and over and did see a clear routine doing so, the code is somewhat fragmented dealing with reverse. I'll try to set those values myself and report back on how things go.

48. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Nice to hear you can reproduce this and it isn't just me fiddling with the asset that caused this. Thanks for investigating this further.

Stephen_O likes this.
  49. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I was able to get my car in reverse, had to floor the speed value though as it was never reaching an actual 0 value (did program to get in reverse if the gear wasn't -1, the speed equal to 0 and the value of v less than 0). The camera isn't switching view though (default it rotates to the front of the car, mine stays behind the car).

Stephen_O likes this.
  50. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Great, I'm glad you were able to get it working. Cleaning this logic up a bit is something that's on my radar, I'm working toward setting up state machine like logic but not there yet (I'd rather finish AI and some other primary features first). Then possibly moving toward ECS optimization in the future is another goal, which will need an almost complete rewrite..

For the camera, you can check IKD_VehicleCamera lines 114-121.

It uses the vehicles throttle axis specifically, so you might need a small change there to support the new input setup.