Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets IK based Climbing System

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Runemark, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Runemark

Runemark

I just started to work with this system a few week ago. I think I made a nice progress, that I would like to share with you!

The system I'm working on it is an Inverse Kinematic based Climbing System. I use animation mostly as poses, to orient the character spine and head to the correct direction. Every movement is made with Inverse Kinematics and direct root movement.

I belive this will result the climb to look more accurate and nicer. Though I not finished yet, I really like to progress of this project.

Let me show you what I achived so far with this video:

Any comment, suggestion or critics are welcome!

VP_no1 likes this.
  2. deneme09

deneme09

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Is this Animator IK or your own IK system?

I think to get this to a good place you'll probably need to add support for full body IK so the character moves softer and you can't really do that with the Animator IK system.

Looks good so far though.

4. Runemark

Runemark

Thanks for the suggesstion! I'll try to make it more fluid. :)

This is Animator IK. I'm still learning the IK, never really used it before. Could you tell me why I can't do it with Animator IK? My thought would be the lower limbs control limitation, but since I'm not sure, an explanation would be sweet! :)

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Animator's IK doesn't affect the body in any way, so it's always going to look stale.

Runemark likes this.
  6. deneme09

deneme09

The same. I never used IK, too. I'll try to learn some about IK, next months. Because, I'm going to use IK for aiming in https://forum.unity.com/threads/hit...mi-dynamic-cover-clothing-minimap-etc.537878/ . What do you think about my project? What should I add?

7. Runemark

Runemark

v0.1: I'm focusing on traversal climbing only, I did a great progress on foot and hand placing, as well as the transition between two point. The position of the hips and feets are calculated, I use helper game objects only to define climbing points (in the video the climbing points are where the character puts his hands)

8. khos

khos

Can I purchase now? How does this integrate with 3rd person controller/Final IK?
    Thanks for any info in advance.

9. Runemark

Runemark

Well this is very flattering, but it's hardly a sellabe asset just yet. However my plan is to seperate this climbing system from any other character controller as much as possible. That means when it will be done, you can just drop in, tweak a few things and ready to go regardless of what character controller do you use.

In terms of Final IK. I'm using the basic Unity IK right now, I'm not planning to integrate it with Final IK, but who knows, I'm at a very start of this project.

khos likes this.
  10. Raf95

Raf95

Hi I know this post was while back but did you finished the climbing ?? :)

11. Runemark

Runemark

Hi!
    Not yet. We released our modular environment asset, the Dark Fantasy Kit in this month. My time was spent on that asset in last couple of weeks. But I didn't give up to finish this project. I think I can work on it in september after I come back from the holiday.

Anyway thanks for your interest in this project!

12. Raf95

Raf95

Hi there,

Did you get around to finishing the climb system :)

13. khos

khos

I would like to test your system, would you make something available?