Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ignoring/Hiding folders doesn't work

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by fredholmsimon, Apr 14, 2022.

1. fredholmsimon

fredholmsimon

I've made a folder on top level for the steam-building
    But I want that to be ignored or hidden

I've tried adding;

ContentBuilder
    contentbuilder
    ContentBuilder/*
    contentbuilder/*

in the
    ignore.conf and the hidden_changes.conf

But it's still visible.

Manually adding; does not work either.
    hey_2.png

Can I get some help please?

Attached Files:

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

I suspect this is because the folders have not only been created, but they have also been Added to Source Control, either manually or automatically by the plugin, meaning they are in a controlled state.

Please can you move all the files you want to be ignored outside of your workspace, this may cause Plastic to think that these files have now been deleted, undo everything on these files so they no longer exist in your Workspace.

Now add the ignore rules that you desire and then manually paste them back in with Windows Explorer (not within Unity).

Does this alleviate the issue?

3. fredholmsimon

fredholmsimon

The "delete" was instant and it said something about files do not exist or something.
    But the issue is solved!
    Thank you so much!

4. EternalMerodach

EternalMerodach

I came looking for a solution for this issue thinking it is a bug, but are you telling me this is the way Plastic scm works? Something that is easy on any other scm like ignoring a file does not work with plastic without having the extra, unnecessary, trouble of doing things outside the tool scope. Looks like it was a really bad idea trying Plastic, just gonna undo everything and go with Git instead. Every single Unity tool creates more frustration than solve problems...

Oelson and ericpug like this.
  5. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi EternalMerodach,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand your issue.

Ignoring files in Plastic should work without any extra operation. But we need to consider that the ignore rules are only applied to private files. If the files are already added to source control, the ignore rules won't work. You will need to add the items to the hidden changes list.

Regards,
    Carlos.

6. EternalMerodach

EternalMerodach

My issue was similar to OP. I had new files, not yet commited, they were only staged (added by the plugin/Unity, not by me) and when trying to ignore a file, the option is grayed out. And adding to the ignore.conf does nothing.

The instructions given by ollieblanks requests the files to be moved out of the project folder before adding them to the ignore.conf and pasting them back for the ignore to properly work. This is basically requiring extra steps that could just be solved by some option to unstage files (if that is the reason the ignore does not work). On git this would be a simple git reset, no file juggling needed.

These files were never commited, they don't exists in the repository.

7. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

The workaround proposed by Ollie was a path to undo the changes in the files.
    At the end of the day, the problem is if the private files are already "Added to source control" and in this scenario, the ignore rules are not applied. You should be able to just undo the changes on this files from, the pending changes view.

As soon as the files are tracked as private again (not added to source control), the ignore rules will be properly applied again.

8. yyxymlove

yyxymlove

But how can u undo the changes when the changes are adding new objects? Delete objects then u will have no objects

9. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

If you undo the changes for new files that are "Added to your control", the files will be set as Private again and the ignore rules will be applied.
    There is no need to delete them.

10. Vlandemart

Vlandemart

Can you explain then why is "add to ignored list" grayed out in this situation?
    Files never were in my workspace, they were added just now

upload_2022-11-9_17-11-38.png

11. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

It's because the was already added to source control/checked-out.
    If you undo the changes in the workspace (undo the checkout), you should be able to add them to the ignore list.

Vlandemart likes this.
  12. Brady

Brady

I don't believe this is correct. I have assets I just now added to my project that were absolutely never part of the project before, have not committed any changes to source control, and it only gives me the "Add to hidden changes list" option.

13. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

You can only add to the hidden changes list items that are already committed to the project. Not sure if they were committed in the initial checkin. But at least Plastic is tracking them as controlled.

Could you attach a screenshot? Is the same behavior also happening in the Plastic GUI?

14. Brady

Brady

That is easy to verify as false. In 2022.2.2f1, and Version Control 1.17.7, you can simply right-click and create a brand new folder, then without doing anything else, right-click that folder you just created and you'll see the only option is to add it to the hidden changes list. And yes, the same behavior is in the Plastic GUI.

15. Duncro

Duncro

Resurrecting this. Im getting this issue now. I have items only showing up as Added. I tried "undo changes (and keep in mind this is on stuff in ADDED, not CHANGED) and it breaks my project. This is counter intuitive.

16. Duncro

Duncro

This should be done automatically by just adding them to ignore. Workarounds like this are unproductive and should be handled by the source control. Why have something sitting under "Added" but then have it already "in source control". In my case these are files have not been checked in yet.

Also, moving the files out takes them out of plastic SCM's view, but adding them back just adds the red exclamation back and cant add them to the ignore list again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  17. Duncro

Duncro

Retried removing the items and now plastic picks up that the folders were "deleted"..... but can't commit the these removals:
    upload_2023-2-28_0-7-16.png

Then waiting a few seconds, they aren't showing up as deleted anymore. Adding them back in again and now I can add them to Ignore list. This really should be done by just clicking ignore...

18. leegod

leegod

how deal all the library folder's files added to vcs window? over 18000 numbers. ignore.conf default has library, and this is project's starting point. install vcs and it immediately shows library and temp folder.
    Why? how to remove these? can't find solution, can't find answer at googling. totally mess.

19. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What do you want to do? Do you want to ignore all of these items so they are not appearing in the "Checkin changes" view? In that case, you should be able to add them to the ignore list.

20. leegod

leegod

yes I want that. But why I should manually add them to list by mouse right click and select that menu?
    Why ignore.conf does not take affect from the first.

21. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

My guess is the ignore.conf rules don't match with the file paths you are creating.
    If you open a ticket with us at devops-vcs-support@unity3d.com with us, we can review the ignore.conf and the specific paths that are not being ignored to try to understand why.

22. leegod

leegod

I already created it.
    ignore.conf defaultly has library, Library. Then it should enough and take effect, right? and it is on top of root folder.

> [Project Name folder] >
    Assets
    Library
    Logs
    obj
    ignore.conf

23. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

My only guess is the the items are not private but they were added to source control / checked-out. In that case, they will appear in "Pending Changes" even if they are part of the ignore list.

If it doesn't help, please open a ticket with us and we can arrange a short meeting with you to debug it.

24. leegod

leegod

workspace-error2.png

Show private files true -> all Library files shown
    Show private files false -> does not show my script revision. (this should be shown!, isn't it?)

so then what now?

code revision action I am doing does not appear(Should appear!)
    , library files appear (Should not appear!)...

even this phenomenon occurs right after new project starting and fresh new start vcs (unity version control system? plastic scm? devops? whatever).

25. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

You have to show private files but not to show the ignored files.

If the ignored files are not properly ignored, we will need to review your setup to debug what could be the problem. Do you have multiple ignore.conf files? Do you have global configuration files?

26. leegod

leegod

I want to start fresh newly, so I deleted this game's online repository at unity vcs web storage.

But now at local unity editor says,

The specified repository couldn't be found:

How to disconnect with already removed repository and freshly new start from making online workspace newly?

So you don't provide this basic function?

27. leegod

leegod

No, only one ignore file.
    I don't know global configuration files.

Here are videos even after delete vcs package and online repository, new start, at first whle library folder's files appear.

Why? Isn't this problem?
    Here are videos.

http://gofile.me/3pale/YEqpWBwXz
    http://gofile.me/3pale/ZOkqFL3m3

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  28. leegod

leegod

For test, start a new project. 2023.1.18 newest version.
    Select 2D Mobile Core.
    Then open the Unity Version Control window.
    Create a workspace.
    You will now see the changes.
    But there are already over 15000 files there. Most of them are files in the Library folder.
    Why does this happen?
    I haven't touched ignore.conf, I've started a completely new project, and I've started a new version control.
    And Library is clearly written in ignore.
    Am I the only one experiencing this?
    Are you functioning well?

29. leegod

leegod

How to disconnect from local unity project to online repository when online repository could not be found?

There is no menu, and just error pop up appears (can't find repository), but there is no means for disconnect and make new online workspace.

30. Rafafor_unity

Rafafor_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I just ran some tests using 2023.1.18 and the 2D Mobile Core template and cannot reproduce the issue you are describing with the Library folder.

We would need to review your setup to go deeper on the bug.

You could also try to go to the hidden folder Users/youruser/.plastic4 (Mac) or Users/youruser/appdata/local/plastic4 (windows) it contains the client configuration files, try to rename it to "plastic4backup" with all GUIs closed so that it rebuilds next start. This is to get rid of any global config or similar config files that might be causing issues.

Regards,

Rafael
    Unity Version Control Support
    Virtualize your Workspace. Make it dynamic.

31. leegod

leegod

Hm...Yes thanks.
    I tested this and this worked!

So the reason was I don't know why but at plastic4 folder, there is [ignore] config file, and it has [ !Library ].

So I renamed the folder as you suggested and start make new project again at Unity hub, and make workspace, looks no library files appears!

32. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

When you are configuring ignore rules, you can select configuring them in the local workspace or for all the workspaces.
    The "client.conf" located in the "plastic4" folder affects to all the workspaces.

33. Petethegoat

Petethegoat

I've encountered a similar problem where the hidden_changes.conf file doesn't seem to do anything.

That file contains just this, generated by using the context menu to hide a specific item:
    /Assets/Resources/BuildDate.prefab

Yet the given asset will still show up in Plastic. The "Show hidden files" option isn't enabled, I've deleted the plastic4 folder so (afaik) there should be no workspace settings overriding anything in this project.

I've just updated to the latest version as well, and it still shows up in my pending changes.

edit:
    Sorry, if I'd looked a little longer I'd have found this thread. https://forum.unity.com/threads/hidden_changes-conf-not-hiding-changes-from-pending-changes.1494386/

Sounds like the same sort of issue. Hoping the ability to stop Unity checking out automatically on a per-asset basis will be added soon.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the update. Regarding the parallel thread, as we mentioned, we have created a task to improve this behavior. Hopefully, it can planned soon.

Petethegoat likes this.