Search Unity

If you've used HDRP, what do you think of it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Velo222, Jun 22, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

And the High definition version of this would be HRP of course... for a classic herp derp.

thunderdawn, Velo222 and Ryiah like this.
  2. chingwa

chingwa

You'll probably have to wait for speedtree 9. They have a poor record of supporting their products in Unity (they never fully implemented their speedtrees even since the Unity 5.x days.) Luckily Amplify Imposters has largely made speedtree shortcomings irrelevant.

3. elbows

elbows

Regarding SpeedTree and HDRP, there has been some movement recently. Someone at Unity wrote a shader to support this, but I think some wires got crossed and that version was out of step with their plans and wont be used. This was some weeks ago, I only found out about this by reading a particular pull request on github.

Since then, I see work being done on a ShaderGraph-based SpeedTree solution, but I dont really know much about it. eg:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/33ac3ad78233689a5bb510df313a695e9b5265bc

4. Stardog

Stardog

God of War? You're reaching there. There are many techniques that require deferred as mentioned in some of their dev talks. And the other games are MP online games that targetted ancient hardware so a large amount of people could play them. The only "advanced" thing in Overwatch is the PBR, and WoW is from 2004 with some minor graphics upgrades along the way.

In any case, Unity will still be missing the actual systems that those games actually used. You can attempt WoW, with no built-in terrain generator, you can make God of War, with no proper ambient lighting, or as many lights. You can make Fortnite with no distance field generation, etc. You can try all of this in HDRP too with no terrain grass/etc...

And you can make something that sort of looks like WoW in a DirectX 7 engine, but so what?

As far as HDRP goes, the last time I tried it the shadow cascades looked bad, and the terrain support was non-existent apart from a new terrain lit shader. I doubt I would use it for volumetric fog alone. When everything is in, such as the much-delayed grass instancing system, better terrain manipulation/shader (I hope the recent terrain updates aren't what Unity were talking about and we get a shader like Megasplat), I will use it, but I'm not expecting my game to look any better than built-in. Maybe I'll check it out in 2024 when it's feature complete?

LWRP should absolutely not be the default renderer for Unity. I don't know how many times I've had to tell someone to increase the Pixel Lights from 4, or just switch to deferred. Now it would be completely reimport your project into the HDRP template and update every material...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. andyz

andyz

HDRP is still in development but LWRP is apparently ready yet I can not understand it because I made a white specular material in it and when I set specularity colour to white the material turns black!!
    And it seems to have delays when you change things even though I turned off non-realtime lighting.
    So hope HDRP is better but I have to support low end devices!

6. CodeZinx

CodeZinx

Can't paint terrains. Very basic things that need to be improved. :(

JamesArndt likes this.
  7. Cascho01

Cascho01

NOT using HDRP because no skysystem (clouds , lat/long day/night cycle) for archviz available. That easy.