Search Unity

if( simplicity + flexibility == true ) buy( unity );

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by cecarlsen, Feb 13, 2007.

1. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Unity people.

I'm very close to buying Unity now, but I still have some topics that I'm uncertain about – so I need you guy's to convince me once again.

I will be using Unity mostly for prototyping ideas in interaction design.

For instance, I'm considering using Unity for producing spatial visuals for music. In this particular project I have a flow of data coming from a live electronic musician via MIDI, OpenSound Control or UDP. Also, I need to generate and transform 3D objects 'in game', at best manipulate vertices separately. And I would probably need some kind of bridge to Java where I get sensor input from a tangible interface via the serial port.

Would I be able to handle all this in Unity's JavaScript or would I have to get an understanding of C programming?

Basically Im dead tired of 3D and openGl in Java, but I can't give up flexibility for simplicity. I need features that other programming environments provide me, so the question is if there is an easy way to make Unity talk to those environments.

Re-inventing the wheel, everyday
    Carl Emil

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

At the bottom of this page there is an example plugin which shows how to integrate with existing C /C++ code. As part of that there is a fully functional MidiPlugin. The sample shows some jumping particle systems when pressing different keys on the keyboard,
    http://unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Plugins.html

UDP you can do directly from JavaScript in Unity.

No problem. This is dead easy.
    http://unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Transform.html

For modifying individual vertices:
    http://unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Mesh.html

Also check out the examples project page, especially the procedural project, which has a bunch of examples on procedurally generating meshes and textures. From heightmap -> mesh conversion, over extruding arbitrary meshes, to generating tron like trails.
    www.otee.dk/examples

You can connect to Java in a C plugin.
    There probably is also some simpler way to do this in Mono but i have no experience with that right now.

Anyway, welcome. You have come to the right place.

3. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Thanks Joachim

It seems like getting Unity will make my work both easier and more pretty. I'll join the club soon =)

Keep up the exelent work
    Carl Emil

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Grab the demo and check out what you can do for a couple of weeks. I'd be interested in what you think since I initially started using Unity with the same goals in mind (VJ control interface etc).