Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

If I was going to make a game like Mother 3, where would I start?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LuckyDucky12, Feb 5, 2016.

1. LuckyDucky12

LuckyDucky12

So I'm starting to make a game. I've created some characters, concept art, and I've even began creating some set pieces. The only thing is that I have no idea where I would start making an RPG game with Unity. I do have some experience with the software, but that experience is only with making an FPS game. I'd like my game to be structured like Mother 3 or Dragon Quest 4.

I feel like starting this will be a labor of love, I just don't know where to start. Tips would be nice.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Just start with the "Learn" link at the top of the page. Don't worry too much about whether the tutorials you spend the next two weeks doing appear to have anything to do with your dream game. Just keep learning and leveling up your skills. Then you'll at least know where to start on your RPG game.

You could also consider browsing the Asset Store, with keywords like "RPG" and "tile" and "isometric". But again, you'll probably make much better use of that stuff after you've leveled up your skills a bit.

Welcome, and good luck!

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

For something as complex as an rpg system, you'd be best off looking through examples and assets of how others have done it, and elaborate on them to get the look and functionality your going for. And like joestrout said, Unity3d.com/learn is a good place if you are just starting.