Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

If I Want Only Baked Lighting

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Corva-Nocta, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Corva-Nocta

Corva-Nocta

I've finally started working on the lighting for my game and the results have made a drastic improvement! Lighting makes a massive difference!

I'm working ith mobile in mind so I have small levels and not a ton of lights needed. I actually don't have any need for dynamic lighting at all so I figured I should use only baked lighting and light probes. It'll be efficient for mobile hardware, plus makes things easier on me, a win win!

I've been setting up my baked lights but some settings are odd to me, and to be honest I don't understand what about 80% of the settings actually do. I have things looking decent, but I'm still feeling pretty lost.

My question is, does anyone know any good tutorials or guides for working with only baked lighting? I've been doing a lot of searching on google and youtube, but I keep finding lighting for dynamic objects or really broad tutorials that cover everything. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where to look to learn about only baked lighting, for mobile would be helpful too.

Thanks!

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello! I am afraid that we do not have any official tutorials that cover baked GI using the Progressive Lightmapper. It is in our backlog, but currently, other tasks are taking the priority.

However, you can still follow along Introduction to Lighting and Rendering in our official written graphics tutorials here - https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/graphics

In addition, you can refer to our official documentation on Progressive Lightmapper, which gives a quick overview on how to get started - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ProgressiveLightmapper.html

I apologize for not giving you a definitive answer regarding the tutorials, but we will get on it as soon as our planning allows for it.

3. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I also want to add that there are multiple people on the forums willing to point you in the right direction if you have somewhat more specific questions.