Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

If I use addressable loadassetAsync () on the server, does it download the bundle?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by cdw0424, Jan 11, 2020.

1. cdw0424

cdw0424

I understand that loadassetAsync () in the addressable asset system will only download "one" of the assets in the bundle when loading the bundle on the server.

However, to my knowledge, when using loadassetAsync () on a bundle that exists locally, not on the server, even if only one asset is loaded, one bundle is allocated in memory.

Therefore, if you use loadassetAsync () on the server, you suspect that you are downloading the whole bundle instead of just one asset.

So my question is
    Do I download load if I use loadassetAsync () on a bundle that exists on the server? Or am I downloading only one asset in the bundle?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...1/manual/AddressableAssetsGettingStarted.html

The above documents do not contain such content.

I need an answer.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The bundle is a file, so if you are trying to load an asset from a remote bundle, yes, the entire bundle needs to be downloaded and saved to disk before it can be loaded. When you load from a bundle that is on disk, whether it will be loaded on memory depends on the bundle compression settings. Uncompressed and chunk-compressed do not need to be loaded into memory, assets can be loaded from them directly off the file on disk, while LZMA-compressed bundles need to be fully uncompressed into RAM before you can load assets from it.

3. CHAHBANI

CHAHBANI

Hello, what is the maximum size for an asset bendel that I can import from the server (Amazon S3).
    I have a .bendel file size 186.2 mb I'm trying to display the continuum in hololens 2 and nothing that displays