Search Unity

If i accept a freelance job, can i still use personal license?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by br222, Mar 24, 2021.

1. br222

br222

Hi, i currently use personal license, and there's a freelancer oppotunity and i was wondering if i accept that work, can i still use my personal license?
    The client is an employee of a game company, the company use pro license, but the client is not working in the game developement department, and she don't use unity in her dayjob. She's hiring freelancer to work for her own project, not a project of her company.
    So, i was wondering if i work as a freelancer for her, can i still use my personal license? Or i'll have to use a pro license? If pro is the case, i think i'll have to tell her i can't accept this job...

2. AFAIK you need to match the license used by the hiring party. But this was discussed thousand times on the forums and if you still don't understand, the best course of action is asking unity through the support section describing your situation.

Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  3. br222

br222

Thank you. i tried to search for this topic and i found several discussions (such as this one: https://forum.unity.com/threads/license-question-for-freelance-work.710936/), but i still don't know which license will i use if i accept that freelance job in my case, i know the license i use must match my client's if i work for her, but i don't know which license will my client use, she says she never used unity before.
    And thank you for your advice to ask unity through the support section, i'll ask them later when they are online.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It doesnt matter whether they have used unity or not. If the entity earn s$100,000+ per year (including funding etc) then you need unity plus. If it earns $200,000+ in a year, you need unity pro. Its as simple as that.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Ryiah likes this.
  5. br222

br222

Thank you. i've also received response from the support section. now i'm writing email to tell the client i can't work for her...

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Or have your client pay you sensibly to cover this. The cost of the license should not prohibit you from working, unless you are not budgeting correctly. Include these costs, in your quotes to clients.

Ryiah and Socrates like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Good luck trying to be a professional developer if you always decline people who have an actual budget.

8. br222

br222

Thank you for reminding. The client is an individual, she wants someone to work for her in her own project, not a project of her company, and therefore the budget is quite limited. I talked with her about the license problem just now, and the result is just as i thought - she can't cover it and i can't work for her.

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Did everyone miss this line? If this is true then you don't need pro. If the project has nothing to do with the company then the fact that the company earns 100k or 100m has nothing to do with the project.

You will need to consider the individuals earnings, but only if they are also going to be working on the unity project.

br222 likes this.
  10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

OP then you dont need pro, probably not even plus? I dont think you have understood the licensing correctly or what we have all said here

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need to match license of your client, ideally.

An individual does not need a pro license.

You appear to be missing one important part:

If the client is individual, their Total Finances is the amount they earn from the use of unity. And not total.

br222, JohnnyA and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@neginfinity Thanks for the clarification, deleted my post so as to not cause confusion.

MadeFromPolygons and neginfinity like this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Have fun. Honestly, the "From the Use of Unity" Thing has been in terms for a long time, at least since UNity 5.0. I'm not sure why people still miss it on occasion.

@brielle22 : You should be able to work with your client, as long as she has personal tier. It appears she shouldn't need a higher tier than that.

br222 likes this.
  14. br222

br222

Thank you all for replying. I learned quite a lot from this thread.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Good luck and hope you enjoy using unity :)

Joe-Censored likes this.