Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

IES Lights

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by SamAB, Jan 24, 2019.

1. SamAB

SamAB

Hi,

I work in architecture and we use Revit. Our models have thousands of photometric IES lights that I would like to import to Unity.

When can we expect Unity to support IES lights? I need the shape of the light opening, the IES File for the distribution, the lumen intensity and the color temperature.

Right now Unity does not recognize the IES shape or the shape of the light opening.

I see that this feature has been in research and development for many years now, but I just keep waiting. Not sure what is taking so long.

To be clear, I only need these things for light baking, I don`t expect any of these lights to work live. I also expect to use Octane or GPU light baking.

---

I can already do the whole process in 3ds Max, but it is a long extra step I cannot wait to get rid of.

2. Cascho01

Cascho01

One option is to get Bakery from the assetstore.
    It´s a GPU lightbaker that supports IES lights.

Another option is to bake with Unitys builtin GPU baker and get one of the IES products from the assetstore.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think you can use those to bake the lights though.

bgolus likes this.
  4. SamAB

SamAB

I don't need to insert an IES light, I need to convert thousands of IES lights. The IES lights are also areas lights (rectangles, disks, etc), which Unity does not let me import. It just transform these lights into point lights.

So even if bakery supports IES lights, Unity does not let me import areas IES lights.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah I think you are out of luck. Unity does not have native IES support (yet?), so I think importing your Revit files and keeping your IES settings is out of the question.

6. cubrman

cubrman

:Sad:

7. leo_Unity3D

leo_Unity3D

Unity Technologies

We have a new product called Unity Reflect and IES is on the roadmap

fredyang17 likes this.
  8. nawash

nawash

Hi,
    You mentioned it was on the roadmap. Is IES available now ?
    Thanks
    N

marioslokas-v likes this.