Search Unity

Idle Editor Unexpected CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aseemy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hi, Usually in my projects i see cpu usage when i am in play mode and it drops to almost zero when i am in editor mode. But in a new project the editor is still taking 10-15% cpu usage (AMD Ryzen 5 3600). I checked the profiler in editor mode and the usage there is between 1-2ms (Max used by GuiView.repaintaAll.repaintScene), so i opened an empty scene, closed all tabs (even inspector, hierarchy etc). Still there was CPU usage. I tried in an empty project and that was fine, 0 cpu usage. My project has lots of plugins and assets.

plugins.png

should i test on a new project and adding these plugins one by one?

Funny thing is that when i click any menu item, the cpu usage drops back to 0

If anyone has any idea whats going on, let me know.

2. Aseemy

Aseemy

3. msfredb7

msfredb7

Just in case someone has a similar issue without Console Editor Pro like me, this might be your issue:

If the editor has any detached window (e.g. drag Project window out), it will be unable to go idle (reach 0% CPU) when unfocused. You can test this by restoring the "Default" layout and looking at the Task Manager if the editor can now reach 0% CPU.

(my setup: Unity 2022.3, windows 11)

I've made a bug report, but I wouldn't be surprised if they close it as "Won't fix". It could be a technical limitation with Windows.

SweatyTryhard likes this.