Search Unity

Ideas that can benefit UT

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AndersMalmgren, Jan 17, 2018.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you have ideas that can benefit UT as a company but are on a poor mans Plus license, are there any chance of UT listening?

We have a real world VR case that need to be solved involving Unity single pass rendering.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah we don't care what license you have if it's a good idea. You use feedback to post feature suggestions. http://feedback.unity3d.com/

If you can summarise the idea I can also pass it to the VR team directly.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Thanks for reply Karl! Nice to hear you listen to us smaller indies! :D

Over the years Unity have perfected their single pass pipeline, and now with the upcoming instanced mode the overhead of stereoscopic 3D is mostly on the GPU side of things. There is one big drawback for some of us though, which is that it only supports one camera for each eye. Monoscopic shooter games that feature scopes can get by with lowering the FOV for the entire camera to achieve a zoom effect. This is not possible in VR, we need to render the scene a second time, typically using a rendertexture which is rendered in the scene. This means the entire game needs to be optimized for the case when the player has a scope up. Its a big problem for any VR game using weapons with scopes (There are plenty of us).

Here is a video showing our current scopes and the problem (which is hard to show in a video), but if you view it in 60fps you can see some frame drops when the scope is aligned with the eye. It's perfectly smooth when the scope is down.

If Unity could support a third camera (or nth, as the case may be) in their pipeline that would save us a lot of batches and SetPass calls, and open up plenty of awesome possibilities for both stereoscopic and monoscopic games. The shader stereoscopic helper functions seem to indicate that Left / Right is only for convenience, and that the implementation actually relies on camera indexes, which in turn could indicate that it might be possible to expose the possibility to control the number and transform of cameras?

Let me know what you think, and thanks for getting in touch!

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If someone from UT is looking at those feedback items, I would appreciate if these items could be marked with some sort of status indicator. Be it as simple as "Seen by UT" or use any of those existing states. This gives the person, who submitted a feedback item, some feedback that his/her voice/effort is heard.

I submitted various feedback items in the past, mostly simple things I would implement on a Friday afternoon, but I don't really see the benefit from doing it anymore, because I don't see it makes a difference. Most, if not all of my feedback items are just "Active".

Perhaps you know someone who feels responsible for the feedback tracker and could let him/her know that updating the feedback item status wouldn't be a bad idea.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We will get the Scriptable render pipeline in 2018 but even then I assume it's a possibility that the XR support in Unity leaves full control to OpenVR / OculusSDK which might or might not allow us to add our own transform for an extra camera?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptableRenderPipeline.html

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. Yeah we do need to provide more feedback through it. A lot of the small suggestions you mention often get rolled into our hack weeks for what we call the `Low hanging fruit` tasks. We have taken your comments onboard though and will try and do a refresh of the current suggestions and look to how we can improve it in the future.

@AndersMalmgren Thanks for the suggestion. I briefly discussed it with the Graphics team. It looks like its going to be a recurring issue as more people use VR. Unfortunately there isn't really a good solution at the moment. Could you post that suggestion into http://feedback.unity3d.com/ so it can be tracked?

Peter77 likes this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here it is: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/option-to-add-custom-camera-to-single-pass-pipeline

karl_jones likes this.