Search Unity

Ideas for platforming on 2D pixel art RPG

Discussion in '2D' started by GazingUp, Jul 27, 2019.

1. GazingUp

GazingUp

Hello,

I have achieved platforming on objects in a 2D Action RPG with pixel graphics. However, this works on a design sense for games like "Hyper Light Drifter" (Not Zelda's perspective) from a perspective sense. I thought it would be a cool idea to include this platforming action style gameplay BUT, I am sort of stuck with how to draw out entire platforms or land, of varying heights for a player to KNOW they can jump onto it, or glide on to it.

Think breath of the wild, Link can see a land in the distance, he knows he can jump on straight away. Now it is possible to do this on 2D pixel art, however, what I want to know is ,how would one go about drawing the varying height difference between two platforms for a player to instinctively know that "Hey, I can jump there" ?

There's one big block of land (Land A), of a particular height and then there's one big block of land (Land B), of a particular height, and it's below in the map. Now for the player to know they can jump / glide from A to B, it would need to be drawn in a particular way. Any creative ideas out there for me here? Hopefully the question makes sense.

2. hlw

hlw

I (because of the reference to breath of the wild that i learnt to mod for a few months) directly think about "smoke/clouds/fog" and lights modifications. If an area is far away, make it just a tiny bit darker, and just a tiny bit "blurry" (not actually blurry as it would feel really weird in a pixel art environment) with transparant fog. Even if it's just a tiny detail it get seen really quickly. Just thinking about those SNES rpg where, while on top of a mountain, you can see lands far away that are both "darker" and "enlightened" (floor is darker, the white fog isn't, lowering color contrasts).

GazingUp likes this.
  3. GazingUp

GazingUp

Hey! I actually did think about the fog look for the distance. Breath of the wild definitely uses that to optimize the performance, but it's also realistic since Link isn't a telescope.
    My question though is, what about being able to distinguish height? So land A, is shorter than land B, and on the map, A is above B on the map. Now, if a player is looking at B, he might think to jump on it, but he will fail based on my jump system, since B is taller than A.
    Perhaps some kind of light system to show what land can be jumped on? You were onto something here! I can't find any game out there done like this. I think it would be really cool to be able to glide around platforms on a 2D Pixel art RPG game.