Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Ideas for marketing a new game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crawdad, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad

Hey, guys. I'm pretty close to being ready to drop a demo for my game on Steam. This is my very first project, and so of course I'm starting to think about how the heck I'm supposed to make people aware of it. I was hoping some veterans on here would chime in on their experiences, and point some of us amateurs in the right direction. I'd love to hear what outlets have given you the most bang for your buck (or time), and also what marketing methods you don't feel were worth it. Given that it's my first project, I don't really expect big things, so I'd rather focus on marketing ideas that don't cost a lot of money. Thanks in advance!

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i think where and how you market will largely depend on the product.

imgur and reddit have been the only productive social media for me. But I hardly made much efforts at it so far.

Crawdad likes this.
  3. Crawdad

Crawdad

Thanks for the feedback! On reddit did you create an announcement page for your game, or did you find pre-existing spaces to showcase?

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

preexisting communities, but thats for a niche hobby thing.

If its a general commercial game I dont think that would be applicable, though its little effort and nothing lost to try so might as well.

Crawdad likes this.
  5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You should have started posting about your game the moment you felt that you're going to move forward with that idea and implementation, ie wayyyy before you have a demo ready. Alas, hindsight ... ;)

Because while you develop you can gain some traction just by being visible, be it Twittcher, Twit, TikTube, YouBook, Red.io, itchit, you name it.

The best thing you can do is to start doing that now. Setup pages wherever you feel comfortable with and can hope for an audience. Itch.io is a good place for "my first project" because you're competing with fellows, rather than established studios and publishers. Moddb is another such portal. Just do those two for now and try to keep posting updates frequently. If you feel comfortable making video clips to highlight what's cool about your game, do that too. Turn it into animated gifs and post them on Reddit, that should give you a few comments as well. Don't hesitate to go into niche communities, there's probably ones for "first game project" and such, because the big reddit communities will be swamped and only very high quality content bubbles up.

DungDajHjep and Crawdad like this.
  6. Crawdad

Crawdad

Good advice. I'm not much of a social media guy so there will be a learning curve. What you said about marketing as early as possible is definitely the most common piece of advice I've found so far. Just one of those things you don't think about first time around, especially when you're not even sure whether or not your going to be able to pull of a completed project. Kind of starting to seem like half the job of being a legitimate game developer is knowing how to market the game. I guess the whole "Build it and they will come" mentality doesn't work out here.

7. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

overall, think these things work best . . .

1. post in places where people like your content

2. post short, very effective images, or stuff that's fast to understand

3. set a reasonable price to begin with // there's 200 new titles released each day

4. winning fans // hard - core supporters tend to take years, start thinking that stuff now

one of the #problems is that people think youtube - fame // Instagram succes happens very fast, and it does so for the more lucky, or people that were already famous, for most people unless one has very good content, that's also at least modestly competitive it can take years to get to 1000 subscribers, or then 10.000, etc etc . . .

start now, think of what you can do, look at what others do, or try and look for ' succesful indie launch ', and if you have a really good title, think getting a publisher ( with a good rep ), or something crowd - funding, or perhaps more a Patreon, see yourself as a ' cultural ' entrepreneur, and go for the most classic // venues-you-enjoy stuff . . . :) :cool:

Crawdad likes this.
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

Crawdad likes this.
  9. Crawdad

Crawdad

10. sacb0y

sacb0y

Release a WebGL demo version on newgrounds if you can, and on itch.io if possible. WebGL is imo the most killer marketing tool, if you make the WebGL version downloadable too many sites will host it too.

Also if the game is horror themed at all itch

Just make sure the build has internal steam links and such (like on the title screen), and even the loading interface before the game downloads should have links.

Also generally main issues you'll face is build size or individual file size. As long as no single file is over 100mb or so you generally won't have issues. super compressing images and reducing their size is a fine solution.

Crawdad likes this.
  11. Crawdad

Crawdad

Solid ideas! I've been looing at itch.io as a possible place to drop the demo, but hadn't thought of Newgrounds, and was completely unaware of WebGL. I'll have to look closer at what it would take to go that route. Thanks for the ideas! I'll definitely update as I explore some of these.