Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for making pool game easier

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JohnnyA, Aug 26, 2020.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Putting togther a simple casual game which involves making 8-ball pool shots one after the other (i.e. you don't play a full game, you take one shot and if you make it you get another shot).

I have a challenge:

- If I dont provide a guide of where the white ball (cue ball) will hit the object ball the game is much too hard

- If I draw a line from the white ball to the object ball and then from the object ball to the pocket it is MUCH too easy

- If I draw a line from the white ball to the object ball but NOT to the pocket the game is better but still too hard

(Sample)
    PoolTable.png
    ---

Here's some ideas I have for making the game easier:

1. Strong bias to easier shots (i.e. balls closer together, balls closer to pockets)

- Best option I have so far, but I'm not sold.

2. Cheat the physics and make the pockets a little 'magnetic' (i.e. additional force to attract balls to pockets)

- Seems like this would look weird if the ball moves too far, but haven't yet tested

3. Include more balls on the table, so even if player misses they have a good chance of knocking something else in (combined with some easier shots as per 1)

- Multishots for extra score are something I was planning to add, but I don't know if I want it to be this random... "Hit and Hope" style

4. Use the full shot prediction line, but add a time limit to each shot (3-5 seconds)

- I want the game to be fast paced, but not frantic, this changes the complexion of the game entirely

---

Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

SOLVED

Turned out that simple showing the direction the ball will travel after the collision with a short arrow, rather than extending the full line to the pocket, gives a very nice difficulty level. Whats more you can tweak it by setting how far the line is extended!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Attached Files:

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You might consider an adjustable difficulty setting which enables/disables the various indicators. Some people might find it satisfying to play with no indicators, others may need everything shown.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Aye, good idea Joe.

6. Immaxx101

Immaxx101

Johnny A . That game looks incredible. I would love to try it out. Is it on unity?

unityunity