Search Unity

Ideas about Game Developing

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by edufissure, Oct 26, 2018.

1. edufissure

edufissure

Hello, im a newbie here.
    I have to design a videogame for my graduation project in my Univesity.
    The project has to be affordable and made in about 3 months.

Any ideas about what can i write ? Kind of game ? 2d or 3d ? Tools to use ?

Dont need to say that is an educational purpose.

Thanks in advance

2. Red-Owl-Games

Red-Owl-Games

What kind of project is it exactly? If it's mainly about the design of the game, you might be best off focusing on that using paper prototypes which you can (after you've pinned down the design) use to create either a digital game or a boardgame. This method allows for quick variations in rules and game pieces/environments without the need to first invest in learning digital development skills.

If it's more about being able to use digital production skills (e.g. programming, creating 3D models, creating 2D graphics) I would start with trying to recreate an existing game. So pick a really really simple game (pong, flappy bird) and try to emulate that. You'll quickly run into a host of basic problems you can then use as starting points to learn more about digital game development.

If you want to take the last route, you can also check out unity's basic tutorials. (https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials, https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/roll-ball-tutorial)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    JoeStrout likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

+1 to starting with paper prototypes no matter what. It will save you several weeks of time.

Since you're new to game development and 3 months is a very short time, consider making the game in GameMaker, Ren'py, or Twine. You will be able to make your first game much faster.

Then, when you're hooked on how fun it is to make games and you need a tool with more power, get started on the Unity tutorials. :)

4. edufissure

edufissure

Well, sorry for my bad english.
    Im studying a Master degree in computer Science, and i have made some projects in Unreal Engine.
    Im also a Computer Science Teacher in secondary education. So i have high programming skills ( java, android, c, c++) and not many design/creative skills.

The general idea is as graduation project i have to think or write a paper of 5-6 pages, about my game, what im going to develop and the features. Then my tutor would give feedback about it. If its enough or what has to be improved, and then began to develop it.

As i said before id prefer my tutor told me what to develop and give some initial ideas. The think is that i have to think about one idea and develop it. Idea affordable in 3-4 months and creative things like 3d are not so important as is a computer science master, with a taste in videogames ( we made 3 courses about unreal engine and pacman in c++ also Pong game).

To write it in unity or unreal is a must, as my tutor can help me and is in C#, which seems similar to other languages im experienced on.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for clarifying!

You may find it very helpful to read a few classic game design documents here:

Game Design Documents on gamedocs.org

In academic terms, it's like doing a survey of existing literature.

Keep in mind that many of those games took large teams several years to create.

Do you have 3-4 months to write your paper, or 3-4 months to write your paper and complete a game?

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I suggest a simple 3D gallery application where you can walk around and see 3D objects, perhaps demonstrating basic game mechanics or basic physics (walk into an exhibit).

Or perhaps a simple ball rolling game.

See learning section above.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

Seconding the exhibit idea, especially because it should teach you about how to design things from a modular perspective, allowing you to expand upon it when you want to explore other concepts in the space.

8. edufissure

edufissure

@TonyLi : i have 3-4 months to the whole project. I cant think about working 4 months to write a paper of 5 pages more or less :). As said before its an educational purpose, i dont have to invent the wheel or make a game with animations fully working. Just have an idea and implement a playable game. ex: the typical space battleship, create a spaceship,moving it, a map/place to play, some enemies, some shoots, ui with ammo and health, menu with options...Just a playable "part". Nothing to do with big productions, with big teams and big budget

@hippocoder @Murgilod: Can you write a little concrete explanation ?
    Thanks for your help and any ideas would be welcome.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

I provided the link to those game documents to give an idea of the things that designers typically need to consider. Your advisor may want to see the same considerations in your own proposal. But I agree with hippocover and Murgilod about making a simple game with one only core mechanic, such as walking around an interactive exhibit.

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Whatever you do, make the game simple, focus on a small number (or just a single) of game mechanics, and don't try to make it multiplayer as you don't have the time needed.

Also, spending a few days in the later half of the project adding particle effects, light flashes, camera shake, etc, goes a long way to making a simple game look good without taking much additional effort.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Half a day adding particle effects easily becomes 3-4 months adjusting particle effects. Those things are dangerous! Definitely only add when you are close to the deadline.

12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

All true! It takes some discipline and personal reflection to understand when you've got it good enough, and any additional work is going to produce diminishing returns.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

They're referring to an approach similar to the UE4 Content demos where you have long corridors filled with examples of different systems in action. Basically you would have little games and game mechanics in each one. Check the spoiler below for the UE4 demo in question.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Need to say well done U4 presentation.