Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal Specs for a Mid-Range Laptop or PC for Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidbutler, Jun 28, 2020.

1. davidbutler

davidbutler

For about £500, what would be an ideal laptop or PC setup for Unity? Currently, I am using a HP Notebook 15-da0596sa with 4GB or RAM, integrated Intel graphics, an i5 processor (2.5GHz) and a 1TB HDD.

I found Unity is very slow to open, it takes a long time to import code from Visual Studio to Unity and the game takes a long time to start when you press the play button.

I don't know if I should buy an i5 or an i7.

I was thinking of getting:

8GB or RAM
    Fairly cheap 2GB GPU
    250GB SSD (for everything, including Unity, Windows 10 and all other data and applications)
    i5 processor (could spend more on an i7 if needs be)

I could build my own PC or I could buy a laptop. I'm not sure which I will go for at the moment. I might just carry on with my current setup if I feel that is the better decision.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't plan on making any too graphically intensive games. I may end up making a game with similar graphics to Subway Surfers or Temple Run at best. However, I expect my game will probably have simpler graphics than those games.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

My recommendation for very tight budgets is to give up on the idea of getting a graphics card. AMD's Vega integrated graphics has serious performance for the money, and with it you can invest the rest of that money into getting a solid computer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£129.29 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£109.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: ADATA SU630 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (£33.96 @ Laptops Direct)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £468.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 09:06 BST+0100

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This is pretty ideal. I wouldn't build a new Unity machine with less than 16GB memory, and this gives you a nice upgrade path going forward. Down the road a GTX 1650 Super should still be within the limits of that PSU for example.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Speaking of power consumption my computer is running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a GTX 1080, and my battery backup is reporting a power consumption of only 360 watts running my work project which is rendering with the GPU at full throttle the entire time. A 500 W PSU has far more mileage than people give it credit.

Joe-Censored likes this.
unityunity