Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea to make Animation Events easier to use

Discussion in 'Animation' started by joshcamas, Dec 16, 2018.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

Hello friends :)

I love the animation event system, the idea of using a function string is a beautiful idea! However, while this is incredibly open ended, I do have an idea that could be tacked onto this... my issue is remembering all of the correct animation events is quite hard to do, especially on a team.

Basically, what if there was a c# attribute that would add the function name to a dropdown? Of course, the user would have to know whether the animation is meant to run that event (aka will this object have that component?), but I think it's better than just inputting a string.

Oh, and I don't mean remove the string! I just imagine a little dropdown arrow next to the string box, that displays a list of animation functions that the developers wanted to make dropdownable.

2. leftshoe18

leftshoe18

When using the Animation window to add animation events (only possible for individual animation files and not a mesh file containing animations) this is exactly how adding animation events works. I agree that it would be helpful to have this option when editing animation events through the mesh import inspector.

joshcamas likes this.
  3. GuardHei

GuardHei

Quite agree with your idea. For our project, we just hardcode all the event names in an editor-only script and make our own attributes using static strings. But this implementation is really ugly.

joshcamas likes this.