Search Unity

Idea: Shadow of the Colossus

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by emetalce, Jul 23, 2010.

1. funkyboy

funkyboy

Looks like you didn't read the thread at all :)
    The first guy you quote wrote that in ... 2010, the second in 2013, third in 2014
    I don't know them, I'm not them (are you high?)

darkhog likes this.
  2. darkhog

darkhog

I'm really @Not_Sure if he is, to be honest.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

4. Chiaroscurosity

Chiaroscurosity

The 3DSMax plugin for converting from 3dViaPrintscreen:
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/XkFULwJO/KoichiSenada3dsMaxConvertXML20.html
    It works great with 3DSMax 2009.

Did you use the PS3 HD version of the game? I am using the PS2 PAL version to extract models from. Seems they are not built to scale or maybe 3dViaPrintscreen loses the ratio information during capture. But, I've had to scale up the maps 1000%+ to get them to actual life size. Nomad Colossus (who produces a lot of content about SotC) told me the scale of objects in the game.

I've seen Divine's work. It is awesome what they did to recreate it. I feel it was not quite accurate though. I'm sure it was not Divine's intention to get it 100% accurate to the original but I wanted to see if I could accomplish this. By scaling up the map to 100% actual life size, it works perfectly with Minecraft's 1 meter cubed building blocks. The save shrines are 18m tall, for example. I am taking elevations from the 3D models in SotC and translating that to gridded maps that I can use to recreate them in Minecraft.

Did you stitch all the maps together into one big piece?

5. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hey man,
    I'm using that exact script/plugin with Max2009 in fact...
    PAL Ps2 game version aswell
    Scale gets all messed up when capturing with 3dVia printscreen yep -_-'

To create my SotC terrain, I extracted all low def terrain (slow files) at Once... in one big file
    I patched up some holes a bit everywhere... but the whole map was here already
    then I used Mesh2Terrain to create the actual terrain
    I guess i could have used the HighDef files ... but my goal was to use the terrain as a distant landscape... not to actually wander in it

6. Chiaroscurosity

Chiaroscurosity

Hey Funkyboy,

Man, what you told me helped so much to extract the models! Thank you! I resized the models to be actual size as far as I know. See attached renders of the slow models I pulled. Do they look familiar in quality? I see where they need to be repaired. Mesh to Terrain looks like a good add on. I guess you replaced the low resolution (slow) Shrine of Worship with the high res model since it is the focus of your game?

Again, thanks a ton for telling me about the slow files. :D

ForbiddenLands_Persp.jpg ForbiddenLands_Top.jpg
    ForbiddenLands_Left.jpg
    ForbiddenLands_Front.jpg

7. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

This whole thread is awesome.

I haven't beat the game yet, but it's still pretty and a remake in HD would be awesome

Chiaroscurosity likes this.
  8. Chiaroscurosity

Chiaroscurosity

Yes! And they should add the colossi that were cut.

9. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi !
    It looked exactly like that yea ^^ the complete forbidden land in low def.
    With Mesh2Terrain, I only created the heigh map (untextured terrain) ... then I add to paint texture everywhere, more or less accordingly to the original.
    I already had the high def Shrine of Worship so yea, I deleted the low def one, it was no use to me.
    It's great you finally managed to extract the model ! cheers ;)

Hey, are you talking about the original on Ps2 ? or my version on Unity ?
    So far, I havn't heard back of anyone beating all the secrets to the end...
    tell me if you beat it :)

10. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I meant the original game haha and I just meant beating all 16 of them

11. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi,
    Update on the Ico project.
    So far, I managed to optimize and texture 10 areas out of 30 of the full Ico castle.

all screens here : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cdd20q0u1wjx1fd/AADaVTRHPN46oIE2XJQTRJ6ua
    I created a build with everything I made so far.
    10 areas are clean and optimized but the rest is textured "as is" :
    I just assigned textures quickly and automatic UV everything...
    so the texturing on those parts is kinda ugly ... but it gives that overall "completed" feeling

editor screens : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uyp9ruxocz29bk7/AAAHcDoBqQrBNR1ZXVC6TMf2a
    everything is connected, we can explore the entire castle flawlessly

and a video rendered in HD within Unity :

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  12. movra

movra

Great, that looks very faithful to the original already.

By the way did anyone see this Kickstarter?

funkyboy and Mycroft like this.
  13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If nothing else, I approve the music choices for your videos, (both the doves one and the no clear mind :) _

funkyboy likes this.
  14. funkyboy

funkyboy

@movra
    I tried to respect the original texturing as much as possible, so i'm glad it looks faithful to Ico for you, thank you.

Prey for the Gods looks awsome right !
    very inspired by Shadow of the Colossus, that's really impressive for a 3guys team.

@AcidArrow
    coming from a composer, i appreciate the comment xD
    your Ost for Lost Echo is really great, some tracks had kind of a No Clear Mind vibe too :) I know Athens is big, but, you guys ever met eachother or ?

---

for those who wants to explore the castle,
    The actual build : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih9u8u0a1t1lq7l/Ico_full_test.rar?dl=1 (144mo)

it starts with textures only on the 10 parts i textured properly, to display what I did so far and what's left to do.
    you can't climb ladders, can't use elevators
    and i placed trees and bushes kinda quickly, a lot of stuff could be better...

pressing K will put textures everywhere, it looks like it's complete ... but it's far from ok in some areas...
    like the caskett hall, the spiral, queen's quarter...
    while on some areas, automatic mapping turned out ok : gondola, water tower, trolley.

also realised the tilling on some of my texturing isn't rly good :/ especially on the sluice
    you see repetition way too much when you're far.
    fact is, I used the original textures as is, which are kinda low def, improving them could be a great idea.
    but it's still a WIP, and eitherway, it's kinda awsome to see how everything is connected
    one huge complete castle, have fun exploring xD

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great work! thanks for sharing

Would you mind making a MAC OS build?
    I dont have my virtual machine setup right now and would love to give it a spin om my mac pro

funkyboy likes this.
  16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, we never met, I guess the common vibe we have is the Greek music elements that seep through in the general moodiness.

funkyboy likes this.
  17. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hello,
    Mac build, thereyougo : https://we.tl/W5k3droD9z
    I don't have any more space on dropbox so it's Wetransfer... it means dead link within a week.
    I can't test it so i hope it works :)

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It works very well on my mac
    thank you!

It really nice to relive the castle of ico !

funkyboy likes this.
  19. sledgeman

sledgeman

Really amazing work. You captured the atmosphere of the original ico ! Looks like you´ve spend much time on it. Thx for the build. Will download it and chillin around in the ico-world.

funkyboy likes this.
  20. funkyboy

funkyboy

About the ICO build again,
    I'd like to show some stuff about "making-of" and what I did exactlty on the model.

first, I extracted the raw model from the Ps2 disc, Pal version. no texture, no UV, no materials asigned.

more : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0zfxzva1jt3j80w/AAAA1jcXp2mRyjNm0ZpKIj0Xa

all this model was centered at origin...
    when I loaded everything in one scene it looked like this. one huge mess. one huge puzzle xD
    I had to rebuild the fortress... connect all those separate areas. add stairs, fill holes, patch up walls...
    some progress
    and the actual model

almost every areas had a low-def environement of the castle for far distance, adjusted for each areas.
    so I kept only high definition parts.

more : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8rc32z63n7ejw5x/AAB4WDq7fjFFvwquNmfQVlTUa

Also, every object of that raw model are weirdly combined

here I just select object one by one.
    more : 1/2/3

combine object then separate the actual logical meshes like ladders, arches, walls...
    not hard but quite tricky sometimes... and obviously necessary to texture/optimize properly.

plus, the model is insanely subdivided on some areas, even when it's a flat out wall.
    they baked GI and shadows into vertex colors ... so they needed more subdivisions on precise spots for better shadows. which was awsome in 2001, but obsolete for actual lighting technique.

I also created some new areas : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/u0zg45h72pchzjd/AACOV6m3itDUsEokJtQ11BjCa

once the model looked kinda complete, I started texturing areas by areas.
    optimizing and fixing model issues in the process. unfolding UV2 after texturing is done.

original

optimized

textured

optimization : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bfl7gtgcws1x2qx/AAA1fNCA4zBOtxxup1E7QrXLa
    textured model : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9jnk5rxtyvqqozo/AABOlYboR4P_TJYkiWMGq4rta

I also realized, when I mesure length/depth/spacing of different object within an area, I get a clean integer values (well, on almost everything)
    like they modeled the castle with precise proportion, respecting a well planned pacing
    after texturing an element, I often duplicated/mirrored it.
    then snapping it on his twin revealed clean values all the time....
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/v80477u1q779ynn/AADruhDvPvYAou7cjRpdO7osa
    (i guess that kind of insight will amaze only Ico's fan but anyway)

----------------

So that's where I am so far, 10 areas done, 20 more to go.
    I won't work on this anymore, it's too big just for one man I guess xD
    I did that Ico build to display the actual progress on the texturing but the build could be way better. using Unity5 for starter... or UE4.

I want to share the model, everything I did so far on the model.
    since it's incomplete, it's pointless keeping this on my drive for nothing, might aswell share it.
    you can do realtime stuff, still render .. whatever you want. share some pics here when yo do xD

the full model : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgqelwqk1ptsyx6/Ico_fullmodel_funkyboy.rar?dl=1
    there is a Maya file, an Fbx and the textures in use.
    you can find all the original texture here

idealy, I'd like it to become a collaborative project
    i'm not gonna pay anyone or anyting xD maybe we can work together on it, one area per person, little by little
    and combine everyone's work at the end
    maybe some people will just grab the 3d file to play with it or keep working on it on their side, i'm fine with that
    and if everyone shares what they do on the model, it could be done quickly
    also, feel free to improve textures files and/or my texturing
    it's not like i'm saying "let's rebuild Ico from scratch, all working together, yay"
    i'm providing a solid base to work with ^^ (or at least i'd like to think so)

and I hope i'm not doing something seriously illegal by sharing that full model...
    that's Team ICO's work, I just reworked/upgraded it a little.
    they probably most likely won't notice anyway ^^

thx for watching
    cheers !

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  21. iuripujol

iuripujol

Hey funkyboy, I am definetely in!! I didn't have the chance to play this game but now I could play it by rebuilding it with Unity3D!! I have seen thousands of videos in youtube about it, all hidden contents and mysteries and stuff just like if I had played it.

I am very good at programming so I could take care of anything related to coding without any problem! Just send me material and I'll put it together, I can send you picks of my progress too if you wish :)

Just contact me at: ipctbunity@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

22. MiyazakiNobunaga

MiyazakiNobunaga

funkyboy, may ask you for help, can you teach how to extract terrain of the sotc, because i want extract need for speed undergroun 1&2, most wanted, carbon...can you help me give a tutorial this is my email miyazakinobunaga@gmail.com.
    please answer. thank in advance

23. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hello there,
    about SotC, I was quite lucky because one guy made an awsome tool called "Dormin Viewer", and another guy packed it in some handy .exe, the "Sotc Viewer"
    then I grabbed all the files I wanted with an OpenGL extractor called 3DVia printscreen.

now you don't find that kind of OpenGl viewer for many games :/
    I remember an awesome Silent Hill viewer : http://alchemillahospital.net/sh-234-level-viewer/
    view any models of SH2-3-4, with animation... wow

or you have the famous UE viewer : https://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel
    extract models from any Unreal based application (well almost any)

about Need for Speed.. well some guys tried already with Most Wanted :
    https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9822
    unpacking the model, for Modding purpose.

so, viewing/unpacking/extracting the raw model from the game is definitely the best way to get perfect results.
    now when you can't do that, the easiest way to get results are tools like "3D Ripper DX" and "Ninja Ripper"
    you launch the game, you look at something you like ingame, you press the screengrab key and you get the 3D scene, exactly like you see it ingame (or almost)
    then with 3dsMax you can import those 3D scenes (those tools come with script and plugin for that, for Max)
    you'll get some 3D models, objcets are dumped per drawcall, matching how the graphic card is rendering those objects.
    and it's a bit messy, bu the model is here.

good luck !
    cheers ;)

24. RedSpearXIII

RedSpearXIII

Any chance you can release the 3d models?
    i really wanna mess around in the map.

25. alisamaka

alisamaka

I wish the models were easy to extract, Thinking of making a SOTC VR fan game but the idea of having to model everything from scratch is really discouraging :(

FadedCrimson likes this.
  26. FadedCrimson

FadedCrimson

Exactly what I want/plan to do but using VR chat and I wanted to actually remake ICO there,
    using the assets funkyboy was kind enough to provide but I've hit a roadblock;

Whenever I try to delete one area of geometry to create a new file with one area to work
    with in Blender, the whole castle is deleted. it's as if the entire model is
    grouped together even though it isn't. :(