Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea: Shadow of the Colossus

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by emetalce, Jul 23, 2010.

1. emetalce

emetalce

Assuming Sony doesn't care, can anyone remake shadow of the colossus? That game was so sick and fun. I would love to see it on PC and with better visuals!

Kos-Dvornik likes this.
  2. Detocroix

Detocroix

When making remakes, never assume anything. If you don't have solid proof, a paper with their names on it, you're saddly walking on very thin ice :roll:

3. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

I don't want anyone except Team ICO to make another Shadow of the Colossus, it wouldn't be the same if someone else made it...

I can't wait for their "The Last Guardian", this will rock too :D

diegomendes likes this.
  4. SteveJ

SteveJ

Why remake something when you could make something new?

And I agree - The Last Guardian can't arrive soon enough! :)

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  5. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

I would like to see their multiplayer version of Shadow of the colossus, the videos and screenshots i saw years ago looked really great, and they had great different colossus designs (like an ginormous ugly spider).

Too bad they didn't keep the multiplayer part.

6. Per

Per

Ever heard of intellectual copyright? Shadow belongs to Sony and Team ICO.

If you wanted to make any commercial game based on that I.P. you would have to get permission from Sony/Team ICO and most likely pay both a license and percentage of all earnings. Even if you wanted to make a non-commercial game you would still have to get permission as they would not want anything released that could damage their brand value.

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  7. Jessy

Jessy

There have been rumors of a Team ICO collection coming to the PS3 for some time now. The God of War collection may have been the first in a series of this kind of thing. That's as good as you're going to get; same graphics in 720p with a better framerate.

8. Vert

Vert

Very true! I think if you want to remake it, you should try to make your own game that has similar gameplay and art style with different characters, locations and story. With enough effort you could make a game that is just as awesome as Shadow of the Colossus.

Also, yes Sony is big about copyright. Don't attempt a remake of that or any other intellectual property. That will only get you into legal troubles.

chrisall76 and CarterG81 like this.
  9. emetalce

emetalce

Yeah, I kinda of figured. It would be cool if some one could try something a little similar with the unity engine and create a boss only game, though. I'd play it.

10. ilucasZ

ilucasZ

i liked your idea go ahead nobody said a thing abaut Black Mesa Source why they will talk abaut your game?:

11. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm pretty sure Sony cares considering how they're monetising on the HD remake for the PS3.

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Because Valve allowed it. It sounds like you need to look up "intellectual property".

--Eric

Deon-Cadme and chrisall76 like this.
  13. AaronC

AaronC

Sounds like you need to team up with an "ideas guy"

14. darkhog

darkhog

Who said it has to be commercial? Certainly not OP. It can be as well fan remake, published as freeware.

CarterG81 likes this.
  15. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

even if you make it free without permission, they might sue you

16. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Remember that non-commercial Chrono Trigger remake? Just because you aren't charging doesn't mean they'll let you do it.

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  17. XGundam05

XGundam05

As others have said, this is one of the most common misconceptions by new indie devs. If a company wants to retain ownership of their IP, they are obligated to enforce their ownership in every instance.

Acissathar and Deon-Cadme like this.
  18. Yoska

Yoska

Well, yeah, SofC did receive an official HD makeover a year after the original post.

Quite a few fan games has been burned over the years. I would not even dare to dream of making anything of that scale anyway. But Team Ico is certainly good at being overly ambitious. :p

19. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi,
    I know this thread is a bit old, but since I acually built a Unity version of Shadow of the Colossus
    I can't resist but post it here : ) It's in first person view tho, no Wander, no Agro :/

At first, I just wanted to lightmap the inside of the Shrine of Worship, to try out, but then I added the spiral, the garden ... and I end up rebuilding the whole forbidden land.
    You can walk flawlessly from the inner to the spiral to the bridge to the garden and even climb on the top of the shrine of worship ! that's also why I did all this ^^ because you can't do it in the original game.
    All the terrain is mainly here in order to have a nice view when you're on the top of the Shrine, it's definitly not well made like the origal game.

Every colossus stone has a pray (crouch) fonction : you pray, you display his portait and his name and it activates a teleport to his arenna.
    Ther's a fly cam mode : you need to pray in front of a very specific stone ; )
    And also a flying tour cam around the SoW, with a zoom and a control that mimic the original SotC cutscene ... you just sit and watch, you can pause the anim, or subtly look aorund while it's playing, you'll have to find where to trigger it xD

Also, I added Mono in the garden, chillin, looking around ...
    when you arrive around her, she will start looking at you, and follow you
    she smile when you crouch and laugh when you jump on the water : )
    each time you leave the garden, she will move to another location (10 different spots)
    and the little surprise, try and pray right next to her ; )

2016 edit : the build used to look like that ↑... although actual screen are now slightly different :
    Post-effect Off / Post-effect On

Music I used :
    - "The Farthest Land" by "Kow Otani" for SotC
    - "The Glasshouse With Butterfly" by "Tomáš Dvořák" for "Machinarium"
    - "Pillars of Pepper" by "Terence Lee" for "Dustforce"
    - "Setting Sail, Coming Home" by "Darren Korb" for "Bastion"

colossus pictures are from Emanuele Bresciani
    http://www.electricblueskies.com/emulation/shadow-of-the-colossus

Thanks to "Nomad Colossus" for providing wind sound recorded from the Ps2 game and all the great help testing the game.

you can grab the last pc version here :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eeill9t80haxxxs/Shrine of Worship_v6.rar?dl=1

Cheers !

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    A_Sloane and kaiyum like this.
  20. kaiyum

kaiyum

funkyboy Very nice environment remake, you need to turn on bloom though. Also those sounds.

21. funkyboy

funkyboy

Thx kaiyum : )
    Using the right click, you can turn on some post-effect, including bloom ... but it's not very fancy for now : / I plan on using color3 later to do that better.
    You're right ! pictures here need some bloom ...
    here's a rough try, it feels definitly better

22. kaiyum

kaiyum

Also you need fog to be enabled. Terrain tile seams is visible from the bridge and it looks ugly. Try a bit bigger sized tile and of course enable fog. For bloom you certainly need pro, I can see you already have that. With fog enabled, there is a nasty way of faking bloom in free version.

"heavy use of light mesh and wise choice of color for light mesh and the skybox and camera movement".

Good works so far, carry on :) The texture choice is absolutely fantastic. The environment modeling is so perfect that, I can convince myself playing it on a ps2 or on a pcsx2.

With the suggested fix I told, I think environment is done, pretty well. Now collect some ambient-horror-natural sounds.

Exclusive points for this game, which you should worry/think about.
    1. A fur shader to be used on colossus. Though using shader for fur, wont get you original feelings. I think I know about an article where team ico modeled fur in a nice way within maya. Just cannot recall the link right now. I should warn you, making fur without shader is a time-consuming tedious task.
    2. Heavy use of LOD, as you have to deal with vast landscape.

As long as it is something for non-commercial fun purpose, I don't think team ico or sony would mind.

23. funkyboy

funkyboy

Fog is enabled already : / I reduced the end limit so it will be more dense maybe ...
    Cliffs are kinda ugly I know ^^ But the terrain is really mainly here to have a global view when we climb to the top. I don't plan on enhance all of it more ... the main attraction is the inside of the Shrine ; )

Thx again man : ) the textures and the modelling seems so perfect because it's actually the original one ! I extracted all of it directly from the ps2 dvd, cleanup in Maya, then Unity.
    but what about the sounds ? there's tons of wind sounds everywhere already : /

I don't really want to add the colossi themselves, Animate them is way beyond my skills.
    And they'r kinda dead after all ^^

Team Ico used up to 6 layers for the the fur, it's described here
    The fact we can travel by horse in a seamless way on all that gigantic landscape in the game is rellay insane : ) they did a so impressive job.

I don't use LOD at all here : / but just some on/off optimization on some group of objects, based on trigger. (mainly inside the Shrine)
    When we're inside the garden, tons of non-visble objects are disabled, and the terrain itslef is reduced by lowering his parameters.
    also, Mono's cloth are activated based on distance, as interactive and skinned cloth are really expensvie oO
    I've got an old comp (2.2 Ghz, only one core) so I really needed those kind of little optimization !

It's sort of an hommage, it's for fun, for learning, and definitly for non-commercial purpose : )

kaiyum likes this.
  24. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hey, I made a few updates on the build.

10 items are hidden all over the Shrine and they give you some "extra power" if you find them
    like : double jump, wall jump, gliding, display wireframe, no texture mode ...
    All items are randomly placed at start, each of them have 5 different spot possible.

The cool bug is : gliding + double jump = fly (it wasn't intended at all)

Two items, the bow and the sword, are meant to be retrieved to Mono. Once you do that, a Swing will show up in the garden. It's interactive, you can bump on it and it will move dynamically. You can also use it via the "pray" fonction.

To see the difference with the original game, I made some comparative shots in the garden :

There's more here

And about some "making-of" stuff, I made several images to show the lighting process.

- Shaded model, no texture
    - Texture and ambient light only
    - One directional casting shadows
    - Lightmapping (linear color space)
    - Final render with camera post-effects

More here

That's it !
    Hope you like it ; )

Noisecrime, SememeS and Ocid like this.
  25. sledgeman

sledgeman

Wow , really beautiful ! I am downloading your version and will try it out. Maybe you can make also a "ICO" version for PC ;)

26. funkyboy

funkyboy

Thank you man !
    well, I'm actually trying to export Ico's model to build something equivalent xD
    so far, I've got only the brute model, no material, no UV :/

About SotC, I made another udpate :
    - There is a "Time attack mode", you pray right here to activate it.
    the goal is to reach the top of the Shrine as fast as possible ^^
    - I created a little quest : The Glitch Quest
    a dozen of mini save shrine are hidded in the SoW ... well, behind its walls, even inside its walls (see image)
    so you need to get on the other side using one specific lift bug to enter the cliff and collect those shrine ;)
    - If you pray in that spot, you can activate another "tour" around the SoW, like the altar_camera but this time not one big sequence shot but multiple little one ...
    - Also, I'm using "Color3" as post-effect on all cameras now

I rendered a video clip inside the Shrine :

It was rendered in highdef (2560 x 1440) with all settings at max + ambient occlusion as post effect.
    Just a little hiccup, the grass behavior is a bit weird... it's like the ScreenShotMovie scipt I used caused something wrong with the timing of the grass-wind effect :/

Cheers ; )

27. sledgeman

sledgeman

I can only say: better than the original ;) . Most important for me, is to transfer the mood, the atmosphere. To get the right immersion. To be inside the world. I think you mention it, the only "not so well" thing is the animation of the grass. It looks like a underwater scene, movement, right ? Do you think, there are better solutions in unity or its impossible? And what about unity5 , would a porting to it improve some things ?

28. funkyboy

funkyboy

Indeed, looks like underwater movement :)
    In playmode the grass if fine ... I also recorded some image sequence before with the same script (in low defintion) and it was fine aswell ...
    Maybe reducing the grass/wind speed before recording would have worked
    but fact is, I only realised something was wrong after exporting the final movie ... and it took me ages to record in that resolution :/
    A thing that needs to be improve for sure is the quality of the lightmap in some parts.

about Ico, made some progress : https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0zfxzva1jt3j80w/AAAA1jcXp2mRyjNm0ZpKIj0Xa

29. sledgeman

sledgeman

Ok, hm, as you say, a bit reducing wind-speed / animation of the grass could improve the look a lot. I am curious about Unity v5, because the "enlighten"-engine is integrated. But it could also be performance hungry. Do you mean the resolution of the current lightmaps, or the whole technique what makes you a bit disappointed ?

Nice progress with "ICO". Did you make the whole modelling by yourself ? Is it important to have such homogenous polygons vs less polygon count ? Just curious...

30. funkyboy

funkyboy

Yep, I mean the resolution of the current lightmaps ... if you use the shaman mask to switch to "no texture mode" you'll see that quality is decent enough in the garden, the spiral and the main hall, but all the rest of the shrine don't have any definition :/
    at first, I didn't want any definiton there because we wern't suppose to go there .... then I made all the elevators, but I kept the same lightmap ..

Nop, I didn't make any of Ico's model ! I extracted it from the game.
    I don't know why it's so subdivided in their model ...
    I think it's better to have less polygon, keeps a low poly count and UV are way more clean aswell.
    don't use extra polygon were you don't have to

31. florianveltman

florianveltman

good job recreating the models, though it's a shame the scenes feel kinda unbalanced visually. It will be difficult to hide the fact that the lighting seems off (too black) and everything seems completely oversaturated. Feels very much like the first scene everyone makes when using the pro version during the one month trial we get, and that's probably because there's a lack of tweaking the various light, shadow and shader settings. It's really a shame because the buildings and everything seem perfectly modeled…!

32. funkyboy

funkyboy

Well, the very first attempt of lightmap I made looked like that
    burned outside and completely dark inside ...
    then I switched to linear mode and added dozens of Area light with low intensity to get some light inside
    with 2 bounces of light in Beast settings
    It's true that some images here are kinda oversaturated, but they don't all reflect the actual render but more a wip of what it used to be.
    and that youtube thumbnail is weird for exemple, something went wrong in the YT image processing idk ...

here's a few screenshots of the actual final render, taken from the above video

I spent quite some times tweaking materials, textures and settings to get that final result ...
    please, dowload the last version and take some screenshot where you feel that the light is too dark and where color are too saturated
    (eventhough it's mostly a matter of personal taste)
    your quite negative feeling points out things I thought ok :)
    so tell me precisley what it is, I'm intrigued and I'm here to learn

About the model, I said it already I think, it's so perfect because I extracted everything from the Ps2 Dvd ! xD

33. CarterG81

CarterG81

To be honest, once it is made and released out in the internet, there is absolutely nothing they can do to stop it. Especially if it is popular. Even more if you do not actually have it as a download from your site, and instead rely on other methods of sharing.

It also is a very grey area, with thousands of loopholes to get around draconian copyright holders. Unless you think ThePirateBay is easy to shut down, or that ROM (Nes, Snes, Sega) rom sites are easy to eliminate because it's "illegal".

Not to mention that "illegal" is entirely based on what nation you reside in. What is legal in one nation might be illegal in the next. For example, you'd be laughed out of the room if you thought North Korea cared about Disney copyright law. I assume anyway.

So even if they discouraged or tried to halt creation of a free fan game, that doesn't mean they can or will. It just means they will try, and the developer has to decide what to do, based on where they live or how much they want to fight it.

Also if the developer had a lot of money, they could hire their own lawyer to defend themselves in court, and the courts would then decide. Most of the time it's Corporation vs. Poor Individual, so the corporation always wins, but not if that individual has money. Then the Courts actually consider the event because the individual has power to fight back. "Wait...you mean he isn't one of those poor plebians? Let's hear his case!"
    Things change if that poor person is from a country which gives western copyright law the big middle finger. It can get really ugly though if they live in one of those western countries, as they could go as far as charging a developer with cyber terrorism and throwing them in prison forever. It's pretty insane how anything could happen, but that is the world we live in. If you don't have money then Corporations own you, and there is little you can do about it unless you exploit the grey areas, use the power of the internet, or live somewhere where you're free from their abuse.

All for wanting to remake Shadows of the Colossus as a fan tribute for free ;) LOL...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  34. Munnky78

Munnky78

Wow, ty for this!!! Ico next please!!!

35. funkyboy

funkyboy

True that oO once it's released, there's no way they can stop it, at least technically
    but still, you can get in trouble afterwards, legally speaking, right ? if they start to lawyer up :/
    so, how bad could the troubles be for a tiny SotC demo like that ?

hey ; )
    I made a very first test of Ico and Unity : https://db.tt/VaoiCTgH
    no texture :/ (I can't extract the UV yet) and there is only a few rooms, not the whole castle...
    to reach higher part, you can use the "fly-glitch" of the SOTC UnityBuild
    -> maintain "C" and press jump several times
    also, if you reach the little autel where the Queen's Sword is exposed, you can activate the fly cam mode

Cheers : )

EDIT :
    I merged and connected all part of the castle, we can walk everywhere now
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/po996ic7np0zh9v/AACJgvxlQNSJdfFNAD9lg1S5a
    there is still a lot of holes, missing walls and some flying unplaced object
    and you can't climb ladders too :/

you can download the new build with the same link as before
    Middle clic : switch to toon material and hide the sun
    yghj : rotate the sun
    1,2,3,4,5,6 : change the quality settings ingame, when you change to 6 it increase the shadow distance a lot ... and it gets totaly unplayable (on my computer at least)
    also, rember to use "C" to float/glide ... and jump while gliding to fly

the whole catsle is fully displayed at all time :/ nothing is optimised, the model iteself is a huge mess (the build is over 250mo, and there is no texture and no UV on the model oO) ... but it's a good start

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  36. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi,
    I updated the SotC Build, this will probably be the last version
    pc : https://www.dropbox.com/s/eeill9t80haxxxs/Shrine of Worship_v6.rar?dl=1

- "escape" : can be use to exit the game (or if you're in fullscreen, it exit fullscreen, then press again to quit)
    - new item : the mask of titans : like other masks, this item change the render and it's hidden in 5 different random spot aswell
    - the last speedrun easter egg for the 1'30 is a materials change option
    - there is 3 specific new items, they don't change randomly like others, there are still in the same place :
    check out the statues, one have a little statue on top of it
    check out around the SoW, there is a new little waterfall, a special one
    check out the trees in the secret garden, on an upper branch, in the middle of the foliage (kinda hard to spot this one)

- waterfalls : when you find the extra waterfall items,it displays the remaining secrets to be found (items, time attack, glitch quest, climbing challenge ...) and each secrets you find adds another waterfall to the shrine. (tho, you need to press N to hide/show the extra waterfalls otherwise the secrets counter don't actualize xD)
    not everything is count as secrets ... for exemple, the shaman mask and the titans mask aren't part of it

- intro : there is an intro splash screen, the game is officialy renamed "Shrine of Worship"
    cool thing, it allows the game to load itself in background, no launching time

ending : finding all those secrets leeds to get the utlime power ... and using that power at the right place trigger something, that trigger something ... that trigger something ... that leeds to the end ... let's say I created an ending :) (sort-of)
    we see Mono and the horned-grown-up-baby (we actualy Are impersonating that baby-wander, the game happens a dozen years after the SotC events) standing on the wall above Dormin's hole, facing south... she says something in japanese that could be translated as "I think i's time for us to move" ... fade out, and a bit something else...

the real challenge here is to beat the 1'30 for the speedrun oO this is one of the secrets to find ...
    in normal mode it's insanely hard ...
    but, there is a "tree-shortcut" to find, that makes things easier to get on top in time
    you need to beat the 1'45, get the reward, use that reward at a specific spot near trees
    (in the elevator order, the one that you should pay attention about that shortcut is the number 5)

Enjoy !

EDIT : Little change in the secrets for the ending, now you just need to find the "Mask of Titans" instead of the 1'30 time attack (that was kinda sick to beat) ... the 1'45 is still in the list tho

kaiyum likes this.
  37. StarManta

StarManta

I'll be honest, I hope this gets one more update - one that uses PBR when Unity 5 comes out.

38. CarterG81

CarterG81

From an AMA from video game attorney, anyone can sue anyone for anything.
    So even a demo can result in a lawsuit, if someone decided they wanted to sue.
    According to what I read him say, they could sue you for posting a single picture, and if they had enough aggression and a big enough legal team, they could destroy you financially without ever going to court. (pretty disturbing, but the US legal system is pretty jacked up and all kinds of immorality is possible.) According to VGA, someone could be ruined by a big corporation like Disney without ever even going to court, even if the lawsuit is frivolous and there is little chance that Disney could win. Also according to VGA, if someone had no lawyer and was sued by Disney for even the most frivolous reasoning, they would apparently lose no matter what. Although I don't believe that, that seemed to be what VGA was saying.

Honestly, there is always the pragmatic approach, making someone immune to big corporations.

If someone made a clone or duplicated a game but with updated features or graphics, told no one about it, released it for free onto the internet using a pseudonym while hiding their identity and their datatrail, it would be impossible for anyone to sue anyone else. No more than copyright lawyers are already trying to sue filesharing / torrent sites. In other words: the reality is that you can't sue someone who doesn't exist, and there is no way to prove someone is guilty when there is nothing to connect them to it (if somehow randomly picked someone and sued them claiming they were the developer).

So in practicality, one could develop anything they wanted, release it for free, and be immune to all law because they don't actually exist as a person. If it were popular enough of a game, it would thrive and there is nothing anyone could do about it. Literally. The only requirement is that developer could never receive any legitimate credit for their work, nor would they ever receive any payment, as the anonymity is tied with not being a "real person".

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  39. funkyboy

funkyboy

40. funkyboy

funkyboy

41. sledgeman

sledgeman

uuuh....want to walk a bit, in this area. Loved it always in the game...

42. funkyboy

funkyboy

sure thing
    try the demo here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/754lguc1pe0bmnh/Ico_windmill.rar?dl=1

use 1,2,3,4,5 to enable post-effect separately
    5 is for depth of field... it's a bit expensive and not always well
    also, use "t" and "y" to rotate the windmill itself !
    there is a spot where you can enable the fly-cam aswell..

midle clic : switch to real-time shadow
    you loose lighting on the sea but at least shadows are accurate (and it's expensive too oO)
    and the density of the grass gets higher if you select a high quality level

enjoy ; )

CarterG81 likes this.
  43. sledgeman

sledgeman

Great job. The DOF effect is quite nice, and looks best when you are on the ground covered a bit by grass. It´s very nice to walk around, hear the sea and the birds. The most performance impact on my machine is, when i switch to "realtime" shadow. But the other shadow is also realtime, or not ?

44. funkyboy

funkyboy

thank you man, that windmill area is definitly my favorite one in Ico ^^

about those "fake" shadows...
    having realtime shadows has bad performance impact like you said
    mostly because the full-of-grass terrain receive those realtime shadows and That is what double or triple the draw-call :/
    in the same time, I couldn't get any real shadows at all on the water plane ...
    so I generated and used that picture on a rotating projector :

so, there is all the time a projector active only for the water plane...
    and when you switch from realtime to fake, you basically turn one light Off and a projector On, for terrain's shadows
    but when you start rotating the windmill, you notice something's wrong xD

DizzyTornado likes this.
  45. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Are you still working on this?

46. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hey,
    I'm not working on SotC build anymore, but I'm working on Ico build yeah... just not rly full time

I managed to patch every holes and link all walls in the Ico model, even created some new area ;)
    next step, texturing everything oO

What I plan to do might take quite some time to achieve :
    Ico and SotC are linked obsly
    "Shrine of Worship" is SotC sequel
    and "Castle in the Mist" - the Unity Build - will be Ico prequel ..... and a sequel to "Shrine of Worship"
    what I want is to create the missing link between Ico and SotC, two missing link actually
    first episode is done, (let's say it is xD) now second episode will tell the story of Mono and baby Wander arriving in the giant castle...
    with slight changes, the casket chamber wouldn't have any casket yet.. the statue near the broken bridge would be intact and hornless, meaning the castle was abandonned by humans
    baby wander is Ico's ancestor and theories are that Mono is the queen... since she got some "evil" energy from dormin, she might be sort of immortal
    we impersonate again baby wander ofc
    there would be puzzle to solve everywhere in the castle.. that's the tricky part oO
    but now, Mono, far from the SoW, gets somehow more sick.. little by little she turns into the queen
    like, fishes in the pool where she bath starts to die.. she fires arrows at seagull.. grass gets dark near her...
    old allmight dormin's corruption gets to her
    everytime we solve a puzzl, closing on leaving the place, we get back to her and she's more sick...
    at the end, logically, we have to leave the castle without her
    to return decades later, hundred of years later (well, being dragged by force as Ico)
    and finally kill the queen/Mono

does it make sense somehow ?

Cheers !

47. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi,
    I made a 3rd person scene with Mono, we can wander around in the secret garden, like she's really visiting the SoW
    I tried to match the original walk anim, using the SotC viewer, but I'm no expert in animation :/
    her dress is interactive Cloth, works well, but gets buggy from time to time...

it's not really meant to be played, i don't want to make a game out of it
    more like an experiment, a chillin experiment in Shadow of the Colossus' secret garden
    the build, for whoever wants to try it out : https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2kcjuuzdojax47/mono3rd.rar?dl=1

also, I made some comparative shots with Wander on the original ps2 game

more here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/m95ps1p9hf9gx0b/AAAWw5NpakYUEQ-hLn9zA6qLa

cheers ;)

Chiaroscurosity likes this.
  48. Chiaroscurosity

Chiaroscurosity

Hey Funkyboy,

I discovered you through a guy that made the SotC Viewer. Then "Nomad Colossus" linked your game on one of his YouTube videos. It's really cool what you've done. From a fan to a fan, Thank you!

I am wanting to get all the SotC maps extracted out of the game. Did you extract the game data as a starting point to your Unity build? I wanted to know if you could help me with that process. What I want to do is get a topographical map of the Forbidden Lands so I can recreate a Minecraft map of it. Fun project so far but I'm finding I can only extract certain areas to a 3DXML file. From there, I open it in 3DS Max. Not everything is cooperating though and some sections of the map will not convert in 3DS MAX. Can you give a hand? Thanks!

49. funkyboy

funkyboy

Hi man,
    Thx ! I'm glad you like the game.
    Xplod, the guy behind the SotC Viewer, made a brillant tool ! I wish he could have done the same with Ico.

I extracted the different part of the Shrine of Worship and used the model "as is" in Unity (well, I merged the parts, filled some hole, checked the normal...) I just extracted what I needed.
    I've seen some Minecratf SotC game already, by a guy/team named "Divine". There is the whole shrine rebuilt, how did they do it ?

To generate my terrain in Unity, I used the low definition map of the game named "slow_" in the Viewer, but if you want something more accurate you could use the Hd parts
    You talk about 3dxml, so you are using 3dViaPrintscreen obsly ? to convert those files I used a script for 3dsmax... but you, how do you open/import it ?

You can get some areas, how does it look ? what seems to be missing ? why can't you extract other parts the same way ?

Chiaroscurosity likes this.
  50. darkhog

darkhog

I wonder how good this would look like with Unity 5's standard shader (SotC build I mean). Since it looks awesome even with legacy shaders.