Search Unity

Idea: FPS Guys. Fall guys, but it’s all FPS matches.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

So basically exactly what’s in the title. A series of elimination maps, all of which are FPS matches about 10 minutes long.

And it could be so many different throw away concepts:

-A map where you jump between two maps at the click of a button.

-A map where it’s completely dark and everyone has flame throwers.

-A map where it’s a bunch of launch pads and everyone has railguns.

-A map where everyone has a gravity gun and nothing else.

-A map where everyone has a jet pack ala Tribes.

There’s sooooo many possibilities.

Just quick fun maps with single throw away concepts.

r31o likes this.
  2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

For unlockables I foresee:

-Tags
    -Skins
    -Voice Packs
    -End of Match frames / boxes
    -Jump stamps
    -Flares that shoot straight up and show a picture
    -Teleportation effects
    -Emotes like waving and dancing

other tid-bits:

-chibi characters

-No head shots or crouching. Makes it too sweaty.

-VGS system

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    r31o likes this.
  3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Another idea:

After the first random match the MVP gets to pick the next map out of 5 maps.

The other players can then “veto” the map.

If 50% of the players veto the map, the MVP repicks.

The other players can veto it again, but require 75%.

If two maps are vetoed the third map choice has no veto.

On the last match there are only 2 players. The player with the most MVPs gets to pick one of three maps, with only one veto for the other player.

If both are tied they both pick a map. If they match its selected.

if not they the choices are removed and they pick again.

If they don’t match again, the remaining map is selected.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I like this idea. It gives a fun reason to try to win the match, other than just seeing a higher score. I think the veto system might result in rarely a veto though. Because many players at the end of a match use that time to get up, grab something, check a webpage, etc. 50% of players to veto probably means pretty much everyone who is still paying attention.

Maybe change it to a Yes/No vote, and you use 50% of those who actually vote. So 10 players, only 5 bother voting, 3 of those are vetos, results in the veto winning (3/5). Just my suggestion.

As far as the "throwaway concepts", it sounds like all the weird and fun original CS and Quake servers I use to hop on, with wacky server mods. A lot of fun, but I'm not sure how good the game would be if that was all the fun, with no "regular" game. Basically getting only desert with no meal. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'd love to see it work.

What I sort of expect to happen though, is players will find their favorite mode, and then just vote for that same map over and over. Say it is a flying railgun map, the winner likes that so votes for the same map again. Most of the players on that server are probably there for the same thing, and so rarely is a veto successful. If someone does change the server to a different map/mode of play, then many of the players leave, to find another server with the flying railgun map running.

Not_Sure likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

In Zero-K RTS game, there is voting system, while players are both in lobby, before joining battle and during a game.

Votes may be regarding map selection, game start / end, player kicks, changing settings, etc.

Don't know exact % but there is probably required around 70% of players to vote, for poll to pass withing 30 seconds, or so.

If there is less votes than 70% of players, then vote fails. Otherwise it passes, if all players voted, or time of poll elapsed.

System works quite well I need to say.

Not_Sure and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Maybe I'm wrong. What I was thinking about the most is trouble kicking obvious cheaters in counter strike matches. Someone proposes a vote to kick the person. The person is shooting through buildings, flying around the map, etc. Someone initiates a vote to kick. That vote almost always fails, even with 100% of votes being Yes votes, because less than 50% of the players on the server even vote, and the percentage used to determine whether to kick is based on the percentage of total players who voted yes instead of the percentage of yes votes compared to total votes.

But maybe that was a terrible comparison to this thread.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Joe-Censored even in zero-k the voting system is not perfect. While it works in most cases, there are numerous situations, where things didn't go as per planned. Not without own flaws. But is far better, than without it.

Indeed, there is certain amount of players who don't vote, for different reasons.
    Don't vote, because too busy in action and don't see vote, took 5 min break for tea, is AFK, don't understand English, or just DON'T want to vote (i.e. trolling), or is newbie.
    There are also players, who think misbehavior of others don't affect them. For example they like that someone is trolling other team. Usually people start asking, why someone wanting to kick a player. Obviously, you don't see every player behavior, so don't know, why kick is issued. Sometimes is faulty poll vote. When people know, then voting NO, or ignore vote.
    Another cases are, when some votes fails, due to not enough votes. People then start shouting to vote :)

First two not so problematic.
    Afk players are optionally (by vote) put in spec mode before match played.
    Afk players after being idle for min or so, gives all units and resources to best player in a team, until become active, and units are given back.

Of course this may not apply in FPS games like CS. :)

Other cases are, when people want to change game with poll vote, and other players rush force start game vote.
    Then players wait, until vote pass and try again change map.
    Sometimes happens multiple times, before someone manages change map with vote. But sometimes people want to start game now. This is a bit annoying in cases, when after 45 min fight, you want to take few min break and because somebody just joined game lobby a fresh, want to play now.

Another case is, when people vote, or not, to end game, as judging is lost.
    Most cases works, with reasonable judgment.
    But then there is tons of cases, when people fail vote, as they want to play, or they know they got AS in they sleeves.
    And often is the case, where battle situation is changing completely 180 deg. Sometimes even few times in a round.
    But then, there are cases, when game is lost 100% and people drag game to the end.
    It is normal that player resign by them self. Then Units and resources (if any left) are given to best player in a team, as per AFK. Resigned people can not vote.
    So people waiting in lobby / specking, getting inpatient, seeing whole battle field and knowing game is lost for team A or B, and see that few active players just dragging the game.
    So if getting 5 players still playing, two wanting end game, and 3 noobs wanting to drag the game, it will keep going.

If there is admin of the lobby, then can resolve matters at any time, without polls. Some admins can be pretty noobs too however ... :/
    But there are some lobbies, which are not administrated. Players can create own of course.

Things like that.

So again, voting is not ideal. But pretty functional and effective in most cases.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think I may have poorly explained what I was going for on the voting system. Let me try again.

So the start of a session would have something like 64 player.

It would randomly select a map that serves 64 players. Say, if you get a kill you advance.

Then the game would allow the person who got MVP (like the first kill) would get 4 random maps to pick from out of a pool of maps that serve 32 players.

Then the veto would come into play.

first pass would only require 50% of the veto.

MVP picks again.

then it requires 75% to veto.

Third pass would get no veto.