Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea: Building Hogwarts. AND I NEED YOU!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OliverMcGray, Dec 27, 2009.

1. OliverMcGray

OliverMcGray

I have got a great idea. I wanna build Hogwarts in unity 3d. But of course, I can not do that in my own. Actually, I am not sure of making a game, but only walking in Hogwarts that we build is good enough. Yes. I said 'we'. Because I wanna make it with you! I want to make it in a team.

The Idea
    Do you know the Island Demo of Unity? The Project whos is packed in the download of unity? I wanna make that. But then your not walking at a stupid island, then your walking at hogwarts. And I wanna build the whole hogwarts. Never seen rooms, etc. I am not a great Game Builder, That's why I need you.

I Need...
    ... codes to walk around.
    ... rooms
    ... towers
    ... places like the great hall, hagrid's hut etc.
    ... you.

Thank You For Your Attention. Btw. I do not come from America, Or the Uk. I Come From Holland. Do that´s why I speak really bad english.

Thhnx.

2. Discord

Discord

So what do you have to contribute to this very large and ambitious project?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hopefully this is a joke post. If not, you want us to:

1) do all the work for you
    2) copy the intellectual property of a series whose owners are remarkably litigious toward those who do

I think not.
    If you wish to become a game designer, I would first read through this site:
    http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

I'm sorry if I come over rather snippy, but given the scope of the request, I think it was warranted.

4. OliverMcGray

OliverMcGray

Noooo! I'm gonna do a lot too!
    I wanna build it too! I have to learn a lot, but I can learn from you! And I swear, I'm gonna build hogwarts to.! Because then your having all the fun, and then I'm just watching how my plan works out. And that isn't fun for me. I would love to do it.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Are you going to pay the license fees then or have written permission?
    EA owns the exclusive license for any digital 3d content use of Harry Potter.

6. chaoticheartld

chaoticheartld

I am going to give you the best advice anyone can give an aspiring game designer....

Take your large visions, dreams of massively complex works, ornately designed worlds... and lock them away for a LONG time.

Now, think of the smallest thing you can create; all on your own; and do that. After that, think of the next to smallest. So on, and so forth.

This may not fire your imagination, or excite your ambitions like "making all of Hogwarts", but I promise you this is actually doable. Simply jumping into a huge project with a team of other people and hoping to learn from what they do.... is completely unrealistic. Even if you miraculously manage to get a team of people willing to do this for you, you will learn almost nothing from the experience.

The "learn to crawl before you walk" analogy was never more befitting than in game design. There is a reason all successful game designers tell people just starting out the same exact advice.

I truly hope you take this to heart, and keep at it. I am not saying you will never be able to "make all of Hogwarts". I am just saying that should definitely not be one of the first things you try to do.

7. OliverMcGray

OliverMcGray

Wow.
    I'm blowed away. Thank you, for your advice. I will close this topic. Actually, I think your right. I'm thinking to big. I'm noob right now.

8. orindoomhammer

orindoomhammer

ditto from me on that Chaotic heart.

as a modeler i find my self with all kinds of road blocks along the way on my games. the best advice i have ever taken was to take smalls steps thats why i have so many differnt projects. i work on one when i cant do something in the other till i figure it out. then i come back to it. this week its brataccus. most of the project up to this point consisted of lots and lots of research. this isnt a game but just a still art for learning more about maya. im telling you its teaching me so much. at least your not like most of the people i have seen when they hear this advice.

most of them get offended and determened to show everyone differnt and end up finding its impossable with there current skills and just give up. or they just get angry and go away.

you have showen great maturaty with that last post.

if people get alittle annoyed like some of the posts sound its not you its just people atleast once aday come in and post grand ideas of how they want to build something and want every one to help even tho they themselves dont have much to offer at the time. most people are just jaded i think. but thats what happens when people seam to want everything done for them.

what are your intrests in game design. me im a modeler who wants to learn scripting. im also looking in to learning music. but at my core i am a modeler and love to model... so again what is your area of intrest.