Search Unity

IDE to use with Unity3D

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by gilson, Mar 25, 2011.

1. gilson

gilson

Hi everyone, i've been studying unity3d and i got tired of the editor that comes with the unity3d. Does anyones know a good IDE that i can use for JavaScript to integrate with unity3d? Actually what i'm really looking for is a IDE with autocomplete and stuff like that, so that i dont have to type so much or open the documentation all the time.

Thank you :D

2. CrazyLikeAFox

CrazyLikeAFox

You should check out MonoDevelop. It's an Open Source project that comes with your unity installation. Simply click Assets >> Sync Mono Develop Project. You should also set External Script Editor to Mono Develop. In Unity >> Preferences (If you have trouble locating the binary, look in your Unity3D installation directory)

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/HOWTO-MonoDevelop.html
    Goes over all this, and much much more in detail.

And while you're checking out a new IDE, why not check out a new language. Give Boo a try, just select Boo instead of Javascript when you create a script. And remember that your classname much match your filename.

All the examples in the Unity Script reference http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.html are available in Boo as well. If you have any questions about Boo, just ask and I or someone else will try to answer.

3. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Don't give boo a try. It's bad.Why would you use boo if js and c# are more popular and c# is the most capable...

4. CrazyLikeAFox

CrazyLikeAFox

Why not? Any programmer worth his salt should know a couple of programming languages. They are fun to learn, and learning never hurt anyone. The reason I prefer Boo is because if it's similarity with Python, a language I have recently started using. My background is mainly Perl, but I have touched slightly upon C#. And I have unfortunately been required to maintained javascript, a curse I wish upon no man.

Boo is no less capable than C#. I would in fact argue that the simple, elegant Python-like syntax. Designed for readability and ease of use. Combined with the power of the .NET Framework, for many projects Boo would be the Ideal candidate.

As for popularity.This is both not true, and not a valid argument for not evaluating something. I have often found that a claim to popularity is a weak judge of quality. Broaden your horizons, try something different. If you don't like it, you can always go back. And who knows, it might just be better..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011