Search Unity

I'd like to make a non-complaint...

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Whippets, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Whippets

Whippets

Credit where it's due. I quite like the Hub.

Don-Gray, Grumpy-Dot, joeksy and 5 others like this.
  2. MechEthan

MechEthan

agreed, its a fantastic improvement to my daily workflow

AlanMattano and Whippets like this.
  3. yatagarasu

yatagarasu

Would you explain a little bit how fantastic that improvement was? For me changed nothing, just appeared another window, asking all the same questions and even more - same project upgrades, forgotten login credentials etc.

Maybe version upgrade became easier, but on the other hand before upgrades was rare and I had joy reading release notes.

4. MechEthan

MechEthan

Off the top of my head:
    1. Running multiple Unity instances of same version on Mac became possible without writing custom launcher scripts.
      1. (If this was all it did I would still have called it a fantastic improvement.)
    2. Opening projects tied to specific Unity versions and/or changing versions for a project became a lot easier --
      1. One window instead of trying to remember what a project was before launching Unity and/or opening the ProjectVersions.txt file.
    3. Managing multiple Unity version installs became a lot easier -- one entrypoint for:
      1. Installing new versions (on Mac you had to rename previous Unity.app if you wanted to keep two versions around.)
      2. Installing new components (Don't have to dig up the stupid original installer file.)
      3. Deleting old versions (Don't have to remember to delete original installer file, if I kept it around.)
      4. Easy to set/check a preferred version.
    4. Login Credentials way better than before: I've had to retype my username+pass maybe 1/10 as much as I did before. Whenever a Unity install forgets them I just close/reopen via Hub and it reapplies just fine. Now I only have to renew my login via the Hub every couple weeks.
    5. Easily set Build Target before opening project in Unity -- instead of waiting for it to process the wrong build target before I can change it. (Was possible via custom launcher script before I believe.)

Whippets likes this.
  5. Whippets

Whippets

I hear Hub2 is coming out soon (tm) Looking forward to that.

6. yatagarasu

yatagarasu

Yep, running Unity on Mac is one of the worst experiences I ever had. I regret buying my first MacBook Pro immediately after I installed Unity. Unity devs have some perverted ideas on how UI should work.

Unity devs could have easily introduced unity.project file, like any other software do, but no, they have their own way of redefining user experience. Now we have Unity Hub, which makes all the same but in some different way. Fixing one issues introducing other.

Hub2, huh, maybe. Yep in five years Unity will be much better, but why not make it good now? Just hire some people who use computers, and have idea what they are doing. But looking how Windows 10 evolve itself looks like that is not longer a trend.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but really want to see Unity became a not a painful and punishing to use for a developer.