Search Unity

Icon for Local Build

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by ChaosResolution, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

I've been making Cloud Builds recently and I really like the presentation of the share link that you get for each build, but I've found that when I upload a Local Build the share link just uses the Unity logo rather than the game logo. Is it just not able to read this info from uploaded zip file, or is there a way to set the logo so that it still displays properly using the share link?

2. victorw

victorw

When running Cloud Builds we're able to generate a copy of your icon and upload it alongside the rest of your artifacts, it's very easy and has no real side effects (ok sometimes you can get weird errors in your logs if you have configured a broken icon but it's mostly harmless). Also since we control the entire process of generating the icon we can ensure that there's no malware being uploaded - we're generating a copy of your image rather than just accepting whatever is sent to us.

For Local Builds we would have to open your zip (computationally expensive especially on large projects), extract the icon from your executable (difficult, inconsistent) and then we would have to generate a copy of your image like we did above except we wouldn't be able to take advantage of Unity's libraries since local upload isn't taking place inside fo the editor.

tl;dr we're doing it on Cloud Builds because it's easy and safe, for Local Builds it's neither easy nor safe so we probably won't do it

3. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

Thanks for the reply. I totally get it! It would be great if I had the option to upload and assign it separately on the dashboard though!

4. victorw

victorw

Yeah that's probably more doable, also if you have previously created a Cloud Build then we could try to reuse the icon. Uploading an icon directly is a little bit tricky since user-uploaded images are very high risk for attacks on the web but there's definitely ways to mitigate that risk.

ChaosResolution likes this.