Search Unity

IClone In Unity!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Merries, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Merries

Merries

This is great news, you can now bring IClone characters, props, and animations into Unity..Look! http://reallusion.com

2. Jessy

Jessy

Is this important, given Mechanim? What aspect are you excited about, exactly? I am not familiar with IClone.

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

@Jessy,
    iClone have far more features to modify characters and create animations (including powerful cinematic tools) than Unity but is not a game engine.
    This should show you what iClone can do: :rolleyes:

[Edit]: I hope one day, Unity will have all those tools integrated directly on the engine. XD

4. dxcam1

dxcam1

Looks sweet

5. konkol

konkol

Bye bye Mecanim? :)

6. Morning

Morning

Mecanim is something totally different. It doesn't animate, it drives the animation.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  7. drewradley

drewradley

huh. Won a copy of it in a animation contest a coupe of years ago and never used it. Have to fire it up and check it out.

8. konkol

konkol

I have a feeling that main purpose of mecanim is to flood Asset Store with animations incompetible with anything but Unity. We will see, I guess...

9. Morning

Morning

I don't think it uses a custom animation format, so I don't see how they could do that. I mean from what I've seen all it does is take existing animation and then transition/blend them based on conditions.

10. goat

goat

This is not enough?

I considered it a while pack and they've raised the price.

I don't like that they've tried to disguise the real price by making the pipeline into a separate option you have to buy either so it's going to cost you at least $400 to buy the iClone and the 3D5 pipeline.

Still they demo it with alot of characters I've paid license fees for so if iClone can be a easy and accurate intermediary between the two I'll try it in the 30 day trail for both of those.

Mecanim still has it's uses and covers some of the same things.

SolarFalcon likes this.
  11. tatoforever

tatoforever

Again, iClone is a produt to create high quality movies quickly and easy. It covers all stages of movie creation. It features a huge amount of tools all aimed at movies and characters (moddification, dialogues, interaction, animation, cutscenes, motion capture, etc). Mecanim is not intended for that. Infact, it only covers the HumanIK par of iClone (plus the visual state editor of course).

12. maverick976

maverick976

They are offering a sale, but I haven't seen much on people using it. I am curious if the models you can buy are low poly enough to actually use in a game?

13. zappapa

zappapa

Well, is anyone using this? The video looks sweet and the integration with Unity seems to be flawless. It's Windows only so it's not for me but if iClone is as good as it sounds then I might install Windows on my Mac (for the first time in my life).

I'm afraid all the models are way too high-poly (like DAZ) but then again, you can create your own (low-poly) models I guess. DAZ has a decimator to create low poly from high poly but that's not good enough for me.

Again, I can't believe nobody tried iClone (there's a 30day Pro trial) so please let us know what it's like!

14. quydoau

quydoau

The way iClone market their products is confusing (at least for me). It took sometime to read and understand what I need to buy to integrate to Unity. Here is my finding, I hope it saves interested people some time.

Minimum requirement:
    - iClone5 Pro $140 (standard version lacks motion/animation editing functions)
    - iClone 3DXchange Pipeline $349 (standard and Pro version can't export)

You can export 3d models/animation etc. bundled with iClone5. I couldn't find information describing exactly what's in the bundle. For other contents you need to purchase export license on top of the content price.

Pricing on export license is difficult to find, for example, the iClone Starter Kit-Entry Level cost $50 containing:
    - Social Gatherings Motion Pack
    - Movie Sets
    - Career Roles

There's no listing of export license for this kit however if you lookup the individual pack say, Social Gatherings Motion Pack, the iContent price is $49.95 and Export price is $149.

I personally think iClone still have some work to do in regards to expanding their business to the gaming community. The gaming community will increase their customer base, I believe this is what any business want, charging different people different price for the the same product doesn't sound fair to me. Gaming people will pay for iClone 3DXchange Pipeline, the way they use the content is not much different comparing to other iClone users so why do they need to pay more?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  15. zappapa

zappapa

Again, did anyone try iClone? It's free for the first 30 days! I know I would give it a try if it would run on a Mac...

16. Mickman

Mickman

Here's how I foresee a typical modelling / animation pipeline might operate.
    ( please comment if this requires commenting since its just my initial impression )

1. create your character in 3DS Max / Maya or Blender ( make sure character is in a T-pose )
    2. export your character to iClone 5 let iClone create the character Rig.
    3. add some funky FBX mo-cap animations in iClone. (or use their Kinect plug-in )
    4. export to Unity4 using 3DXchange.
    5. In Unity apply mecanim the new powerful Blend Tree system to create all your in-game animation sequences.

notes: mecanim only works with bipedal characters. Quadrupeds are currently not supported, so I'm wondering if a character with a tail will be recognised ?
    Mecanim is in its infancy. Its new to Unity4, this means there's loads of room for upgrades etc...
    Maya - Is the human IK rigging system recognised by mecanim ?

17. konkol

konkol

If you are planning different animations for every model, and be the actor playing the animations... why not?

From my observation UT like add some new modules to Unity and advertise them loudly, but they do not like to maintain them properly. They rather abandon them quickly, and after some time replaycing with something similiar but uncompetible ( like GUI, particle menager ) or just removing thing claiming that nobody used it anyway ( like rigidbody wizard, some shaders )...

18. tatoforever

tatoforever

@Mickman,
    If you use 3ds max and mecanim you don't really need iClone (specially if you are using humanoid rigs as you'll be able to re-target existing mocap rigs from the web). Characters with more than two legs will be supporter in the future but Humanoid characters (bipedal) already supports additional bones (like tails). You won't simply have any IK control over them but i believe this won't be a problem in future versions of mecanims.
    Once your model quits your 3D applications Unity treat them like standard animated model (no IK controllers) which means FK but that's when Mecanim came into play (it provides full body IK, footIK correct (to fix bones poses when retargetting, bleed/anim trees, all in a friendly visual way). And yes, Mecanim will be improved in the future and i don't even want to know how sick that's gonna be (semi-procedural animations, automatic foot/hand placement system, characters with more than two legs and two arms? Who knows why not). :rolleyes:

19. gposchman

gposchman

I have had iClone for a long time. I have used it to create characters that I have produced in a variety of ways in 2d Formats. I have developed roughly 18 3d characters that I want to include in a 3d adventure game I am developing. At the iClone website they have an additional product called Pipeline that is suppose to let you take 3d avatars from iClone with animation into Unity. Has anyone done this?

I am using the trial version of Pipeline and have created and successfully transferred one character with three animations into Unity, but I get an error message when I try to use an animation from iClone. The message is "Default clip could not be found in attached animations list." The character remains in the "T" position and that is it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't see purchasing iClone Pipeline, if I cant get it to work.

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Gene Poschman
    gposchman@renaissanceplayer.com

20. tatoforever

tatoforever

Make sure your character's rig is set to Legacy if you are using the old Animation system, if you are using Mecanim make sure it's a Humanoid or Generic rig.

21. kanga

kanga

No the tail is not recognized. Until now I couldn't find any bone animation tools or possibilities in iclone. Once your character is initialized you have a control rig you can animate with. My model has a tail, ears and a jaw that iclone doesnt recognize. If you were to go from kinect and create your own clips then iclone looks very slick. Recording looks very good as do the simple and direct tools to customize and correct the captures. So you would capture and handle clips in iclone then export over to animation software that recognizes fbx and do the extra bones there. I am only interested in animating my own chatracters but it looks to me like the iclone characters are pretty low poly and well built. They are certainly attractive. Canned motions in iclone are very good and there is a wide range already available. I think in the future I am going to get a kinect setup and I will be using iclone for that. Ps best to use a character studio skeleton for import and make sure the head bone is vertical not tilted.

When you make your clips in iclone there is a track you use to save the clips to the iclone library for your custom motions. Once you have exported your character to 3dxchange just load the clips you made from that library where you saved them. Your own character doesnt have a personality that the iclones have and maybe that is why it doesnt work automatically.

Hope that helps Cheers

22. gposchman

gposchman

I would like to thanks to everyone who responded. I am including some details here so you know what I used and what I did to make it work. Everyons who replied had a piece of the solution.

I am using the latest free version of Unity 3D 4.0.1f2. Reallusion iClone standard for making characters is 5.3.2103.1. Reallusion 3d exchange 5 Pipeline Trial, Version 5.1.0829.1.

After creating a character I added a persona which included some animations. In iClone with Avatar selected I clicked on the edit in ed exchange button. I followed the directions in the Pipeline tutorial first exporting the geometry into FBX format for Unity with the animation unchecked. Then I did the same for the animations making sure that I checked "save 1 take per file" option under animation with geometry unchecked.

That process created an fbx file for the avatar and each of the animations.

I went into Unity and added the assets for the Avatar and the animations. In Unity is where the proper settings must be made for everything to work correctly.

In assets I made some settings for the avatar - Under rig I selected humanoid, and I selected the configure button. For my needs when the avatar came up for configuring I select done, I made no changes. Keep additional bones is checked.

Then I moved the avatar into my scene.

In assets I then made changes to each of the animations. I opened up the main name which shows a break down of the animation including the actual animation itself. It is at the identifying name where under rig I change the animation to legacy. I made no other changes.

In the hierarchy I selected the avatar and added animations. I dragged in each animation and put one of the in the default animation location. In the animator group of my character I put the avatar element from the avatar in the assets into avatar option.

I then hit play and it worked.

If you have any questions please ask and I will provide pictures if necessary.

iClone is a great way to create characters with animations.

The trial version of 3d exchange only allows 15 transfers, and now that I know it works I will make the most of my 15 and I will save up so I can upgrade 3d exchange standard to the pipeline, for me it will be worth it.

Gene Poschman
    gposchman@renaissanceplayer.com

23. Mikie

Mikie

I am trying the Iclone trials. Used the yellow character with wings. DC(726), tris(483). Not good.

24. mysoftwarepro

mysoftwarepro

I have the new iClone5 and want to create characters and import into UnityPro4 that I have. If anyone has any suggestions or steps, let me know. iClone is great and using with custom characters is best.

25. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hello everyone,

Its nice to finally join the Unity forums. I am part of the Reallusion team, the guys that make iClone5 and the 3DXchange5 Pipeline.

For a while we have been receiving lots of request on our website on guides and ideas on how to create content for Unity. So we have been working on some Unity - iClone tutorials. I'll be posting some video tutorials and also help in answering your questions when I can.

Feel free to drop me a message if you have any particular questions. Thanks!

-----------------------------

http://www.reallusion.com/event/12-icloneforgame/

26. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

So the first video tutorial I'd like to post, demonstrates the process of importing a Maya character into iClone, via 3Dxchange, and then using various motion tools found inside iClone, prior to exporting to Unity.

You can quickly create your custom facial and body animations, and then bring your characters - complete with body motion and facial expression, into your Unity project via a single FBX file.

You'll see how the process takes minutes with the motion tools in iClone.

If you have detailed questions, I can try to answer them here or you can send me a PM. :)

Software needed:
    - iClone5
    - 3Dxchange5.5
    (trial version will do)

27. artzfx

artzfx

Cool, thank you OXIDUS :)

28. sicga123

sicga123

Reallusion is pretty good but I was basically saving for the 3DX and pipeline which are still fairly expensive when one is an indie developer. Was worth the money, though, don't get me wrong. But now with mecanim and face plus and the fact these come up on offer on occasion, it does become harder to justify spending a further $400 on the rest of the iClone5.5 stuff. Especially when one only really needs talking heads, but I'm glad these videos were posted as it will help me come to a decision I've been holding back on until crunch time.

29. artzfx

artzfx

I recently purchased the Animation Pipeline (that includes pretty much everything) because of their companion upgrade offer for Unity users at $399 http://www.reallusion.com/event/13-iclonecompetitiveupgrade/default.aspx Pretty good value.

30. sicga123

sicga123

@artzfx - I already have iClone 5 Pro, It's more a case of deciding what is the better option and I'm not quite there yet. Reallusion do have good deals and quite a lot of stuff so it does have a lot of pros on the side of getting it but one major con as well.

31. artzfx

artzfx

Ah ok, didn't realise you had it already. Couldn't hurt to email their sales and ask what they could do for you. Won't now unless you ask... make reference to the companion upgrade offer.

32. sicga123

sicga123

@artzfx - good idea, thanks

33. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

You are most welcome. ;)

34. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Artzfx.

I am glad you talked about the Companion Upgrade for users who already own Unity software. I didn't want to mention it, as I am not here to post sales offers or anything of the sort. My job is to answer questions and offer tips on iClone.

But now that you mention it --- Unity users could look into the Companion Upgrade if they feel that the 3DXchange5 Pipeline is too pricey. Our company is very aware of hurdles that indie developer face on start-up, and we are always very flexible and willing to help them get up on their feet.

35. sicga123

sicga123

@Oxidus - Thanks for confirming as a possibility what Artzfx suggested. It's good to know there is an option there. I will look into it.

36. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Create an Android app game with Unity + iClone

Since we are talking about creating games in Unity with the help of iClone animations. Here I would like to share another example of a user who acquired iClone export licensed animations from our 3DXPortal site, created a character, added motions, refined motions, exported to Unity, add motions to monster mesh, and programmed with Playmaker, to finally create an Android app game.

-------------------------------------------
    To learn how to use iClone, go here >> http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/207705-The-Path-to-iClone

37. im

im

hey thanks ill check it out

great to have you drop buy i have a number of questions

im basically indie/hobby. i dont really sell anything, just play around so i cant go nuts...

but i am interested

so can you give more details about what iclone stuff would be needed... and the costs...

but i did checkout iclone and 3dxportal trial it looked interesting

im looking for way to be able to create lots of slightly different characters different body size/shape/skin/ethnicity and different clothing or all types. and then add some animations to them. i already have lots of mecanim and legacy base animations that i can retarget.

so is $99 iclone and $80 3dxportal what i need, not pro

or do i need pro for like $399 unity discount. do i even qualify for unity discount? is there less expensive version i could use.

i got a little confused on the site cause its like many sites. i guess some sites focus on like animations and other gaming. im doing gaming.

its for use with unity indie (free)

i dont want to buy the models, clothing individually i would like like have some package.

so what do you think

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  38. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hello IM,

To get the most out of iClone5, you need the PRO version. If you wish to import content then you would need 3DXchange5 PRO or Pipeline. The pipeline version is a bit more pricey because it allows you to export anything out of iClone in FBX, OBJ, BVH, etc. For the work you describe, you would definitely need 3DX5 Pipeline version to export out to Unity.

Now, some people might find the whole iClone package a bit high. But once you see that you get at least 600 motions inside iClone alone, plus all the tools to modify and blend animations together, then you realize the huge value.

As mentioned before, our company is very aware that there are many small indie developers that need to lower costs, so if you have a valid Unity serial number, then you definitely qualify for the Companion Upgrade offer which significantly drops the price. This is part of the collaboration that we now have with Unity and their team.

So if you are interested, sign up and give it a try. But I do suggested that you do it soon, as I understand that the offer is limited.

Hope this helps!

39. marcipw

marcipw

Oh dear, I missed out on that one.

That would have been a really nice discount.

I had an upgrade offer from a previous version iClone 4 and was able to get Pipeline for $299 and iClone 5 Pro for $119 back in May.

I still saved a lot of pie 'n' mash but an extra $119 off would have been great.
    I would probably have used the saving to buy the mocap plugin anyway.

It is a really intuitive tool and a great deal of fun too. I am currently struggling with editing the standard characters (Chuck, etc...) default textures in 3D Coat or ZBrush though and importing Makehuman characters into iClone.
    I found a tutorial recently which may help though.

IClone / 3D Exchange don't autorig though, do they?

---

Just realized I had a really helpful bonus in my member area in the Character Designers Resource Pack

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  40. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hi MrmDesign,

If you are talking about the Companion Upgrade deadline, well it has not passed. So you can still enjoy the discount for Unity members right now.

For editing iClone characters. There are several tutorials. I will be posting some later on in the sticky thread "The Path to iClone".

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  41. marcipw

marcipw

Hi Oxidus,

Thanks for the reply.

As I already bought everything back in May, I can't apply the discount now can I?
    Would I get a credit placed on my account or something?

I would really like to get the motion capture tools and was probably going to buy them soon anyway.

Cheers,

Marc

42. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Hello Marc,

I just asked one of our colleagues here if you could apply for the Companion Upgrade even if you already bought everything in May. I was told that sadly this is not possible. Sorry for this. :(

BUT, there is another option. Since you already bought iClone5, then you automatically apply for a Member Discount. So you just need to log into your member account at Reallusion(dot)com. Make sure that your iClone serial number is registered to your account, and then try to purchase the Kinect Mocap plug-in individually. Because you are a Reallusion member, you should be able to get a 40% discount on the plug-in.

Give it a try, and if not. Please contact our sales division to ask them how. (sales(at)reallusion(dot)com.

Glad I can help!

43. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

Happy New Year everyone!

$HappyNewYear.jpg

44. sicga123

sicga123

I have both iClone pro and the 3DXchange pipeline, next week I will buy the avatar 2 toolkit and the new Animator 2 pipeline because suddenly with scaleform in Unity I realise the possibilities now open to non-artists. iClone is not primarily for games, it caters to a great deal of other creative industries and is a mature product so is not likley to fold tomorrow. If anyone is looking for a game development pipeline look at Reallusion, read up about it and give it a serious thought. In a matter of a couple of weeks I went from total sceptic to almost an evangelist.

45. jathoo

jathoo

anybody used iclone characters and models in ios or android? its high poly and lot of meshes to optimize ? , any in built tools for that soon?

46. kaiyum

kaiyum

I have seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLf3I9gmpQ. There I can see you working with a pre-rigged and skinned character.
    Do I have to rig and skin in external software and then use iClone, or iClone directly can do this? If it can, can you show me some way or tutorial on this matter?

47. OXIDUS

OXIDUS

iClone6 is Coming!

iClone6 is due for release in December 2014 with enhanced visual quality, a flexible UI, and streamlined plug-in configuration in future updates. This new iteration comes chalk-full with lots of new features that are a direct result of months of collaboration with awesome 3rd party developers like; Indigo RT for super rendering quality, soft cloth, wind behavior and multiple textures by Nvidia’s PhysX , SpeedTree and Allegorithmic’s Substance.

Enjoy this sneak peek video and check out the iClone6 website for more up to date information:
    http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/14-ic6_preorder/index.html

48. marcipw

marcipw

Very nice!
    I have been following the thread on the reallusion forums and I am really looking forward to this release.

I have iClone 5 pro and 3d exchange pipeline at the moment.
    Will 3dx5 pipeline will also work with iClone 6 pro or is a new 3dx6 is planned for December or q1 of 2015?

Also, are there any upgrade deals for existing customers planned?

Thank you.

49. artzfx

artzfx

I think I read on the iClone forums that iClone 6 won't work with the existing 3D Exchange. It requires updating.

I, also have the Pipeline bundle so am waiting and hoping that they do a bundle upgrade. Not sure how the MoCap plugin is affected. Glad that Substances are being supported though. I'd like to get my hands on iClone 6 early as possible to test out my Substance PBR pack, so I hope the Pipeline upgrade is not delayed too much.

50. CRISTALSONIC

CRISTALSONIC

how do you do this exactly? I can't keep my face animations at all once in unity and my animation tend to be broken
    such as bent fingers or twisted legs

what settings should i use with the I clone 6 export and the unity 5.6 import

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017