Search Unity

IBModeler quickly create 3D models using photographs

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Randy-Edmonds, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

2. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

whao thats crazy, im going to try that later, ill post how it was

3. AaronC

AaronC

4. Kripto

Kripto

If someone is crazy enough, they could buy 32 cameras, set them up in a circle, and use this software to create 3d models of people, etc.

Another option for capturing people would be to set up the camera on a circular track surrounding your subject and get them to stay COMPLETELY still while you rotate around them and snap the needed pix.

Very interesting stuff.

5. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Or just put a person on a largish turn table. :D

6. jaydubs

jaydubs

Cool idea but the obvious problems are:

- you need to have something already made in order to photograph it, so it's limited to what exists already,
    - for a person, the set up might take longer than modeling in a 3d app ? ( Unless you had a ready set up room / studio )

Still, good idea ... I'm personally more interested in the reverse ( making textile models from 3D model data )

J.

7. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

For smaller games this could be an amazing tool

Simple clay and some paint could give you a whole set of spaceships or whatever. Depending on what type of finished results you get (poly count, etc.) and the project requirements, you could potentially sidestep the whole learning of a 3D app.

Potentially. :D

8. Kripto

Kripto

My primary concern for using this for non-live objects would be the geometry that would be created from the process. You would probably really have to clean things up in a modeling app anyway, just to get the kind of efficient polygon layout for animation, etc.

9. pete

pete

10. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

arg...finals... i really wanna try this out, but thanks to unity ive been distracted and have procrastinated my finals..

way to go unity....

ill see if i can try these all out tomorrow and post how they were

11. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

okay i just tried out strata, first off my first attempt was ruined because i tried to use a boblehead..... you can guess why that didnt work...., but the process isnt all that bad, you print out a sheet of paper with their special calibrated design on it and put it under the object, and then spin the design around so the marks line up with the camera for every angle, the top and bottom were the hard parts, i couldn't get them to turn out right, in there example model though you can see they lost alot of geometry and detail, and they were using 24,000 polys, and the detail was still flawed

i will say this though, the textures are amazing, there models texture was completely seamless, it would still need some work in a texturing app, but it was very good

i will try again with an object that dosent shake when i spin the turn table and post pictures, and an exported model

12. Kripto

Kripto

I'd guess it generates a cylinderical-style texture map, due to it's scanning method?

13. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

i dont know, but it seemed very over smoothed, there default file has the 10 or so pictures of a figurine of a girl, looking at the side view of the model and the side view picture, you can see her chin has almost completely disappeared, and her nose was pointed in the model and not in the picture, also the flowers she was holding came out as on very smoothed triangle, even though they are clearly separated in the picture, it seams like it just has problems with detail, because the rest of it looked pretty good

14. milkytreat

milkytreat

have you guys seen this : http://www.archipelis.com

its pretty nifty - apparently the next version will let you use multiple textures.
    demo is kinda limited but works.

15. Kripto

Kripto

That's an interesting approache to modeling.

It would be very cool if it was part of a more tradtional modeling package so that you could "sketch out" your intial 3D shape, and then go into to vertex/face level editing for the eventual fine-tuning.

You could always accomplish the same thing by exporting but I REALLY try to keep the number of steps/programs in my production pipeline to a minimum.