Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved] IAP with Facebook Gameroom ?

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by Barry100, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry100

Barry100

Facebook says that you can not use unity IAP with gameroom unless its canvas but I have read posts telling me that people are using it with gameroom native. If this is correct and possible can someone please direct me to a tutorial or a way to add IAP to gameroom native?

Michieal likes this.
  2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Barry100,

Yes, Unity IAP will work for Gameroom native (Windows) and Canvas (WebGL).

3. Michieal

Michieal

I'd like to know this too -- especially the bold section. Looking at the documentation, it covers Android and IOS, but NOT FB's GameRoom.

Thank you!

4. Baroni

Baroni

Here's a link to their preliminary documentation for Unity IAP & Facebook. I was able to get it running inside Facebook Canvas (WebGL), however building a Gameroom app with the same code did not recognize my test users and threw errors for unused parts of Unity IAP (initializing GooglePlay configuration with developer key). Can't remember at this point, but I've wanted to submit a bug report for that.

Michieal likes this.
  5. Barry100

Barry100

ive left Gameroom. Its not for real gamers. My game got 30k players in the fist week on Gameroom (third person shooter). When ever I joined any of the games to see how games were going people were just standing there doing nothing and not shooting or anything. This leads me to believe that the people using gameroom are either not using gaming PCs or are using laptops with trackpads so they cant play real PC games anyway.. Ive moved over to Steamworks.

6. Michieal

Michieal

Question.. since you had a working FB Gameroom game... with unity IAP... how did you get it to bring up the dialog box? Every time I try (IAP tries to log the person in, so it actually initiates it) the dialog comes up between my game and the Gameroom application. I know, because early on I was able to close my game via task manager, and I could finally see the login pop up dialog.

And the only way I can get my game to work is to completely remove the IAP stuff from the game.

7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for alerting us to this. We haven't seen this behavior during our QA process, but we'll add some more test scenarios with different login states and see what we find.

Additionally, it may be an issue with Gameroom. You can find Facebook's developer support resources here:
    https://developers.facebook.com/tools-and-support/

Michieal likes this.
  8. Michieal

Michieal

@ap-unity I just tried to put it back in, I defined the products in facebook's Web Payments-> Products, I set it to Payments Lite. I entered the products into the IAP catalog. I associated them with the IAP Buttons on my canvas, and I built it, uploaded it through the Unity Editor to face book and then set it into production. It goes through the first scene (the loader scene) gets to 100% and locks up. (Attached is the screenshot of my task manager with highlights.) If I remove the IAP products (and disassociate the buttons) It loads up just fine and goes through the basic login process, pulls up the player's facebook picture and name, and the game plays.
    One thing I have noted is that I seem to have to reset the Web Payments-> Payments Lite settings back to YES every time I define a new product.
    I just installed the new IAP yesterday. I'm using Unity 5.6.2f1.

I'll also check out the facebook tools and support page. Thank you, btw, for replying!!!! :D

Update: The facebook developer's group ("where you can talk to the developers here at facebook and ask questions") specifically ignores anything unity related. I did a search of posts containing "unity" and they are either unanswered or we're told "this group is not for asking questions related to programming" -- even if they question asked is about gameroom or other non-programming questions.

I checked in the OpenGraph API using the access token tool, and it pulls up the all of the products I entered.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Emma-Jane likes this.
  9. Michieal

Michieal

Apparently, it was an issue with Facebook Gameroom returning a Server Error 500. I submitted a bug report to them, and they responded stating that their servers were sending an "Internal Error 500" whenever a dialog popup was called. I know that it's an unreasonable request to ask Unity to fix Facebook :p but, is there any way that Unity could detect this kind of thing and drop something into the game's logfile? I ask because Gameroom stopped responding, but my game ran in the background. Had it of written somewhere that an error had of occurred, I would have been able to tell where to ask...
    Thank you!!!

10. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@MichiealO

Thanks for following up with this issue.

We are providing all the info we receive from the Facebook store. In WegGL, you can sometimes use the web console to detect which errors you're getting, but it's more difficult on Windows/Gameroom.

11. Michieal

Michieal

@ap-unity
    I see. Well, it was worth the thought. :D

One last question, sort of on topic. Who do I talk to at Unity about the distinct ignoring of all Unity related questions in their Developer's Group by the Facebook Developers themselves? I mean, honestly, we're sent there when the issue is Facebook, and they outright ignore any post that even mentions Unity. Which, strikes me as odd, as Facebook and Unity partnered up to support Gameroom development, Facebook game development, etc... and have been working together since the Webplayer plugin was mainstream. The only part of facebook that has ever helped me when I said the word "Unity" was one of their technical support agents, and the extent of that help was to tell me "This is an issue, and it'll be fixed in a *FEW WEEKS* when [they] release the next version of Gameroom." (The emphasis added is mine, because their platform's issue(s) causing a critical failure shouldn't take weeks to fix... Especially when they know what the issue is, and fixed it for about a day...)
    Please, forgive my frustration, every dealing that I have had with Facebook has been less than pleasant, helpful, or otherwise worth the time I have spent trying to figure it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.