Search Unity

IAP Legal Question

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by dfair1, Mar 21, 2021.

1. dfair1

dfair1

I've searched around on google, and have not been able to find an answer to this question. What's the legality of reselling assets as in app purchases in a mobile game? (Not on the asset store)!

I've just about finished my first mobile game for iOS, and it uses assets from the asset store. Within the asset packs I've purchased, there are a number of different customizable items and appearances for characters. I've been evaluating different monetization options... Is anyone aware of the legality of allowing purchasing these customizable items as in-app purchases on the app store? I know assets cannot be resold on the asset store, but how about on the app store, within the context of a game?

Thanks!

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I don't follow how you would resell binary assets in a game. The user is playing the game on their phone? Are your users also developers? IAP uses the Apple Store and Google Play.

3. John_Corbett

John_Corbett

Hi @dfair1

If I understand this correctly, you want to create a user marketplace where your players can create or obtain in-game objects and then sell them to one another? I don't believe IAP can support this, because Apple, Google, etc. don't support dynamic products where a user can name their price, nor specify a particular product, on their app stores.

I believe you will need to set up your own web service for that kind of transaction, or find a third party option.

As for the legality, you'll need to read the EULA for any given platform to see if they will accept a game with this external feature.

I'm sorry we don't have any advice on how to implement this.

4. vitaliano_fanatee

vitaliano_fanatee

Please, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood you.

You bought some assets from the Unity Asset Store and used these assets to create some In App Purchases for your app.
    I would say that it really depends on the asset's license because it can forbid reselling it independently of the platform, but the usual license for paid assets allow them to be used in a commercial game.

I'm not a lawyer, so be sure to check this information with someone with a legal background.

Best,