Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iAd Statistics

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by mehware, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mehware

mehware

With 60% revenue of $2.00 a click thru and $0.02 an impression I am curious if iAd is a way to make money on the app store.

I just released my iphone 3gs/iPhone 4/3rd gen touch application for the iphone called "Energy Free - Interactive Music Visuals" It can be found here..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/energy-free-interactive-music/id382360959?mt=8

It has iAd included. I am wondering if people can post a screen of their app, and what kind of stats they are getting, requests, impressions, fillrate, click thru rate.

App - Energy Free - Interactive Music Visuals

Description - Play your music and interact with beautiful visuals tru tilt and touch gestures.

Screen -

Stats - App has been released under 24 hours and not 100% visible

Broken down by United States only

Revenue $0.08

eCPM $6.00

Requests 32

Impressions 14

Fill Rate 43.75%

CTR 0.00%

I don't know how often the iAd admin updates and to be fair my application isn't yet visible under new releases for Entertainment and Music.

Anyways Post your results!

2. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

I have had iads running for about 3 days now and here is what I've got so far
    Actually in about 6 hours it will be a full 3 days.

If the fill rate was good I think I would be looking at more like 50 bucks a day.

Doodle Monster - I'm too lazy to post a screen. Plus the game isn't that great.
    It was my first solo effort but people keep downloading it. I feel to guilty actually charging money for it. It was already free but I just put in iads in this week.

Revenue $6.21
    Ecpm. $14.28 bs as far as my figures go...what do they base this on. Lol a good fill rate
    requests 5,814
    Actual ads 435
    Fill rate 7.48%
    Click % 0.69%

3. cheezorg

cheezorg

4. ezone

ezone

Crazy Snowboard HD Lite: http://ezone.com/app/csl

iAds US data July 7-25, 2010:

Revenue: $777.59
    eCPM: $8.49
    Requests: 516,001
    Impressions: 91,598
    Fill Rate: 17.75%
    CTR: 0.21%

During this same period we've had over 10 million requests from other countries that don't support iAds (yet) - especially Japan where we hit the #1 game spot last week:

http://iphone.ezone.com/?p=763

So far we are very impressed and look forward to seeing what happens as the fillrate goes up and iAds are activated outside the US.

5. mohydineName

mohydineName

Guys,

This is very valuable information. Please keep updating this topic.

6. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

What do all of those figures and such mean? Ok I can figure some ourt but I am new to this and perhaps someone wouldn't mind explaining?

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thank you for the information.

Would you be able to add how many impressions per user you are getting? For example, are those 516,001 impressions from 1,000 downloads? 100,000 downloads?

8. LeoNgai

LeoNgai

hi, ezone. Thanks for sharing!

What's mean for the data posted? Revenue: $777.59 eCPM: $8.49?

Does that mean during July 7-25, 2010, that iAd totally earned $786.08 for you? (evenue: $777.59 + eCPM: $8.49). Or, we still need to consider the Apple royalty deductions.. Thanks!

9. ezone

ezone

No one has received any actual royalty payments yet, but I'm assuming that the revenue figure in the iAds reports is what we will receive after Apple's cut - so hopefully we will be getting $777.59.

The eCPM refers to the the average payment received per 1000 impressions, e.g. $777.59 / 91.598 = $8.49

There was also a question of how many impressions per user we are getting, but unfortunately we haven't got access to that data. I do know that since the update with iAds went live on July 7th we have had 400,000 new downloads and 300,000 updates, so from that we can assume that approx 700,000 users have the iAd version of Crazy Snowboard HD Lite.

10. ezone

ezone

We attempt to have an iAd showing on every menu (at the bottom of screen), but not during gameplay. We make a request for an ad when going from the game to a menu - so at the end of each level we will make a request to see if an ad is available to display.

The actual ad height is quite small, so it only took a bit of tweaking to button positions to make room. Definitely worth the effort!

11. corpselike

corpselike

Hi peeps,

Just wondering if those who have incorporated iAD are targeting iOS4 only or are you weak linking and allowing non iOS4 downloads as well?

Thanks in advance,

Corpse

12. ezone

ezone

We are weak linking.

13. corpselike

corpselike

Thanks Simon,

just as a side question has the inclusion of a lite /iAD version had any adverse impact on the sales of your full title; some people have said it has had a negative impact?

14. ezone

ezone

Since introducing the Lite version with iAds we have seen an increase in sales of the full version. I'll get some hard stats together and post them.

15. ader

ader

In case it's of use to anyone I have iAds running in a non-unity app.
    In it's first full day of iAds I got:

$4.32 revenue
    $0.88 eCPM
    4907 Impressions
    50.85% Fill Rate

16. corpselike

corpselike

Thanks for sharing, the more info I seem to get the more excited iAD makes me (is that normal.... :)

I noticed that iAD was serving up content in the UK today... does anyone know of a site / blog / secret back door that we dev's can use to find out in which countries iAD is rolled out to?

17. ader

ader

An update and more info.

This app is in UK and I think there are only developer ads in the UK so far - not full blown iAds like they had in the US.

This app's had iAds for a little over 3 days now.

Totals so far:

$12.82 revenue
    $0.64 eCPM
    20,155 impressions
    58.93% fill rate

My ad impressions are increasing which is what I expected as more of my users update to the new version - but eCPM is going down due to CTR reducing - while the fill rate is bouncing up and down with no trend.

In June I served over a million ads with this app (on Quattro) for revenue of just over $200.

Last month I tried using an ad aggregator (TapJoy) and found that to be, let's say "not as good as I hoped".

So unless things change iAds will be making me less money than AdMob probably would (seeing as Quattro is now gone).

That extrapolation is purely based upon the same number of ad impressions and assuming Admob pay about the same as Quattro did. 1 million ads with iAds at the current revenue rate would bring me $636.

However, apparently iAds can only show one sixth of the ads that Admob can ( iAds ads having to be present for 30 seconds to count as an impression and iAds only refreshes an ad every 3 minutes). So at current rate I could only expect $100 revenue for the month and that's before I factor in that 25% of my users don't have OS4.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how many ads I can impress.

I ain't gonna get rich just yet.

18. ezone

ezone

19. mehware

mehware

Ezone... first off looking forward to Hover World ;)

Second, what is the conversion rate of people buying the full game? from downloading the free game.

- Matt

20. ezone

ezone

Hi Matt,

Great to hear you are following Hover World - we are planning to get some more in-development gameplay videos up over the next few days.

We haven't built any tracking into the lite version but I can tell you the ratio of free downloads to sales of the paid version averages out at about 5% - so if we get 1000 downloads of the free app we usually see 50 sales of the paid version.

The other revenue stream that is worth mentioning is setting up LinkShare and tagging any links to iTunes with your account ID. You get paid 5% of every sale that you generate. For us that worked out to over $1000 in the last 60 days.

So now we are monetizing our free app using 3 different methods:

1. iAds (or other in-app ad services)
    2. Push sales of a premium paid version
    3. iTunes LinkShare Affiliate program

21. haggis

haggis

I've had iAds up and running for the past 9 days now with the following figures:

Revenue: $1044.87
    eCPM: $12.48
    Requests: 426,112
    Impressions: 83,718
    Fill Rate: 19.65%
    CTR: 1.96%

I must admit I do not understand the logic behind the eCPM figure which can vary from below $10 to over $20.

@ezone: I have not been paid anything yet but I think the Revenue figure is before Apple take their 40% unfortunately :cry:

Still...... it's all good so far.

22. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

eCPM (estimated/effective Cost Per Mille)

It stands for estimated revenue you make per 1000 impressions. In your case, you have shown 83.718 ads and made $1044.87, so that is an eCPM of $12.48 ( 1044,87/(83.718/1000) = 12,48 )

Your revenue is not calculated by your eCPM, your eCPM is calculated by your revenue, that's why the eCPM varies.

It's just a number that shows you approximately what you earn per 1000 impressions, nothing more.

23. haggis

haggis

Ah..... thanks ParaLogic - that would make more sense. I guess the real question is how is the revenue calculated?

24. mehware

mehware

Method one, iAds Great!
    Method two, 5% conversion rate is great, I hear free to paid sales with conversion is usually 0.1%! I guess a good game = good rate
    Method three, whats an iTunes LinkShare Affiliate program. Why am I unaware of this.

OFF-TOPIC about Hover World,

Will you be demoing this at Unite :)

- Matt

25. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

That's something Apple will probably never ever tell you :)

Could be conversion based, $$ per click, CPM (Cost per mille) ($$ per 1000 impressions). Probably a combination between those three :)

26. haggis

haggis

@ParaLogic: One of those is it. I guess I can live with that.

That caught my eye too. Would also be interested to know more.

27. Moonjump

Moonjump

Wall Street Journal said that Apple charges $0.01 per impression plus $2 per click, with the developer getting 60% of each.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703648304575212411500983040.html

28. Moonjump

Moonjump

http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/

29. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Ah, I've seen those numbers before, but I thought they where just an estimate. Thanks for the link :)

30. hanaan

hanaan

Hi all,
    Enjoying the candid conversation and decided to add my 2¢

I have two iAds-bearing apps: Nonograms Lite and LoopMaster Lite.
    The numbers I get are skewed because most of the downloads are in Japan.

Note that the requests are worldwide, while fill rate, impressions, and of course, revenues, are only from the US and UK so far. Meaning, the minute they flip the proverbial switch to share the iAds-bliss with the rest of the world, I will start making a factor of x10-x20 the revenue...
    Stats so far, by week:
    ($rev - CTR - requests x1000)
    • Week 1: $9 - 1.76% - 15K
      Week 2: $20 - 0.88% - 67K
      Week 3: $26 - 0.79% - 95K
      Week 4: $26 - 0.48% - 91K
      Week 5: $44 - 0.63% - 94K
      (Japan kicks in big...)
      Week 6: $49 - 0.81% - 161K
      Week 7: $72 - 0.90% - 378K
    All in all about $200 this past month

Looking forward for ads to go international and see some $$ for the requests...

Anyone has any experience with ad-mob?
    I am considering using them for an iPad app...

31. SteveJ

SteveJ

@ezone - curious to know if your earnings have continued to remain fairly steady or if you've noticed a drop off after the 46 days worth of data you reported here.

32. haggis

haggis

Thats the first month of iAds in my app past and I am well happy with the results so far, averaging $100 per day although there is a bit of a downward trend towards the end of the month averaging $60-$70 per day during the week and $140 per day at the weekend.

The app is crying out for another update which hopefully will boost the iAd revenue for another month :)

Questions:

1. This one has already been asked but I have not seen a definitive answer..... Is the revenue figure in the iAds report before or after Apple take their 40%? I'm assuming it's before but hoping it's after ;)

2. On the same subject.... Does anyone know when this revenue gets paid into the bank?

For anyone who is interested here are the figures for the month:

Revenue $3,078.74
    eCPM $16.06
    Requests 862,040
    Impressions 191,869
    Fill rate 22.26%
    CTR 2.5%

Attached Files:

33. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

haggis, what is the name of your game?

34. haggis

haggis

@SeeSawSin: It's still a very basic one level game at the moment called Prison Escape http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/prison-escape/id382209350?mt=8 but has continued to do well despite some glitches. I'm busy cleaning up the code, meshes and textures with Unity 3 before introducing another 9 levels ;)

Fingers crossed that the updates will help keeping it afloat.

35. ezone

ezone

The good news is that iAd revenue is continuing to do well for us:

Date Range: Sept 4, 2010 - Oct 4, 2010

Impressions: 294,559
    Fill Rate: 2.29%
    Avg eCPM: $11.98
    Clicks: 1471
    CTR: 0.50%
    Profit: $3530.13
    Avg: $40.12 / day

Also, I can recommend http://appfigures.com as they pull in your iAds reports now as well as your normal reports (I just have the free account).

36. bakno

bakno

Is it possible to use another ad network such as Admob or Mobclix to serve the inventory not filled by iAd?

37. ibyte

ibyte

Hi I am looking for some help on how to set the best priority and allocation between the available networks in the mobclix dashboard.

I expect priority for iAd should be #1 but what about the recommend allocation ratios with the other advertisers/networks?

iByte

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  38. ibyte

ibyte

Bump.

Anyone?

39. Moonjump

Moonjump

I have put AdMob at number 2 because they pay out directly, and on much quicker terms than Mobclix. I haven't had enough traffic beyond that to know how to rank the others.

40. J_P_

J_P_

Any way to tell how much a single user, on average, would contribute to your iAd revenue? Basically, I'm curious (on average) how long a user would need to play the game to generate enough ad revenue to match a purchase price. Do you guys think it might be worth ditching paid versions and going 100% ad-driven releases?

41. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

I really doubt that you would ever reach $0.70 per app as if you were selling it on the app store. However I do believe that if you say released your app for $0.99 (to keep this easy) lests ay you sold 1000. You'd recieve $700. Now if you dropped the same app as free supported by ads you may get 10k downloads, and then make $700 on ad revenue. For the most part the free game is going to get high DL numbers. The higher your DL numbers the more money you will make on ads.

You can also go with the Crazy Snowboard model, release a cut down free version with ads, and put in a pay in app upgrade to unlock more content and remove the ads.

I think that the only people who can even begin to decide how to maximize profits on ad supported vs paid would be some larger company that has a track record and statistics and a department that analyzes this type of thing. For guys like you and I we just have go with our gut feelings and cross our fingers.

42. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Are you guys putting it all stores because the only 3 places that actually give anything IMHO is the US, the UK and france (and not even that much), with Germany and Japan in the next month or so.

43. mehware

mehware

I released a new game, Letter Slide Glow. (FREE)

In the last two days I have had,

7,500 ad requests of which only 280 were actually impressions! This leaves a fill rate of ~3.8%!

My other app have a fill rate of at least 24% globally

4,800 ad requests were from the US and only 230 impressions we filled giving a fill rate for the USA of ~4.6%

Has anyone experienced low fill rates like these? I wonder if I should contact Apple saying shame on them.

- Matt

44. Hodofca

Hodofca

7500 ad request in 2 days? You are lucky then. I have 2 games with iad's ("parachute cat lite" and "resumo") and i have only ca. 2100 requests in last 4 MONTHS. I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong. Or just games are not too good.

Btw. Your USA fill rate looks really bad. Mine is (overall) 67%, and 26% in last 14 days.

Oh...i see. GameCenter helped you a lot i think.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  45. Paradoks

Paradoks

Hi guys,

could you tell me what plugin you used to get iAd please ?

Paradoks

46. J_P_

J_P_

Prime31 has an iAd plugin -- I'm about to buy it and get started on a Lite version of FishMoto :)

47. ezone

ezone

I wrote a few blog entries with some iAd data that you might find relevant:

http://iphone.ezone.com/2011/01/back-to-the-important-stuff/

In summary, we decided for every new game we release to do both a paid version and a free ad-supported version. Also, if you are thinking Android I would recommend the same, but expect to make more from the free ad-supported version.

48. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

I am trying to figure out how to implement iAds or AdMob into the lite version of my game for both android and iphone (and ipad, which I think may be a little different again). So I managed to get something into the iphone version (with a simple .cs script interface and a header and .mm file for the project). I have no way of making the ad a different size with this script and I'm wondering if I even want to (I think I read somewhere about the ads being a specific size and if your banner is different then you just don't get any ads).

My first question is this: is the test advertisement that comes up the actual dimensions of the ad? if so I need to move some elements on my screen around to make it work, but if it's any taller than what appears then I need to think of something else.

Secondly, does anyone know where to begin with getting android to work? I got the AdMobTest.package from this forum, but I don't know where to go from there. I have set up an admob account, downloaded the sdk, but what do I do with the .jar?

Finally, is it worth looking at investing in something like Prime31's plugins? Is it much easier?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

49. EyeSix

EyeSix

Adsy, can't help with Android, but in terms of iAd, that is absolutely the dimensions, and you can't change it. And yes, Prime31's plugins are, generally, excellent value for money. Saved me hours of time, and loads easier.

50. AdsySingle

AdsySingle

I just bought the AdWhirl plugin from Prime31. Having trouble getting the test project to compile. I have linking errors with 6 functions:

"__adWhirlRotateToOrientation", referenced from __adWhirlRotateToOrientation$non_lazy_ptr in RegisterMonoModules.o

the others are the same but with different functions, __adWhirlInit, __adWhirlSetTestMode, __adWhirlDestroybanner, __adWhirlSendAdDelegateCalls, __adWhirlCreateBanner