Search Unity

i18n in Assembly namespace breaks Android NDK path | Unity 2020 LTS

Discussion in 'Android' started by negativegeforce, May 28, 2021.

1. negativegeforce

negativegeforce

After a day I found the cause of a sudden android build issue I was having. Here is a video demonstrating the problem. Im just hoping this might help someone else cuz I was raging pretty hard over this. I would think i18n is common enough it could be used in a namespace in just about any project. I am not even sure how pervasive this issue can be. I would think there are other keywords that should be avoided in an assembly namespace and could break a project at any moment it's introduced.

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Hmph, from your video, I don't see if NDK path switches, but it seems something's happening because of domain reload, meaning when scripts are being recompiled, I think the same might happen if you right click on any script, and click reimport.

I very doubt that this is because of how you named the asmdef. What if you restart Editor, thus the issue reproduces itself?

3. negativegeforce

negativegeforce

The ndk path remains the same during the change of the assembly name. After I rename the assembly name I save the file and that triggers the unity script recompile. I was just trying to demonstrate that change with the assembly name being the only thing modified in isolation. After each change and recompile the ndk path in the preferences panel updates. It just never likes i18n as the assembly name. It's not a big deal, but i'm just one developer and the correlation isn't obvious. I figured it out after I did a windows reinstall and it also started happening on my imac. Loading into safe mode and building an empty project worked so I ended up going through 20 commits to find the breaking change.

I also did try reimporting the entire project 30 different ways with different versions of unity. I also tried installing the ndk into different paths thinking there was some windows update that locked out ndk directory. I was pretty stumped for a while and barked up every wrong tree.

4. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

If you stumble into this again and there's a build failure, could you attach Editor.log (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html) . Honestly I am not sure what's happening in your case.

Alternatively if you have 100% repro steps on how to reproduce this, please report a bug.

Thank you.

5. negativegeforce

negativegeforce

I'll report it with more details in a few months maybe cuz i'm scrambling to get my game out right now, lol. I just threw this out there incase someone else had this problem.

6. unity_ATO-cfJ7NZNHIw

unity_ATO-cfJ7NZNHIw

Same problem.
    When adding the .dll files the ndk breaks, if I delete them it works again
    Also getting "Encoding 1251 data could not be found problem" on android but not in editor, actually this is why I copied the .dll files in the project? maybe these are related...