Search Unity

I will wait for unity 2021, because 2019 is not satifying

Discussion in '2D' started by RedHotFlashman, Jan 30, 2020.

1. RedHotFlashman

RedHotFlashman

Unity released a new skin, woohoow, I was excited.
    Unity released updates in the physics engine, woohoow, I was excited.
    Unity release Light Weight Rendering Pipeline (LWRP) for mobile, woohoow.
    So full of excitement I installed 2019, moo, I was less excited, not to say, frustrated.

First release of 2019.1: I got light flickerings in my LWRP scene, Ok, that might have been a beta-bug, I stick to 2018 for now.
    2019.3: New skin looks great, but the editor is slow, and disappears sometimes or quits in the background, what just happened?? I stick to 2018 for now.
    2019.3: I re-create an existing 2.5D game from 2018, and turn it into 2019, hoping the physics updates will allow me to do more cool stuff. Starting from scratch I rebuild it in the editor. After two hours I got a scene ready to test. I drive a big Monster Truck over a crush car but the car plunges under the floor and the wheeljoint2D acts funny. Once again, I stick to 2018 for now.

I hope the Unity team is doing its best to get all the bugs out of 2019. I will wait till 2021 to use it for 2D games, just to be sure I don't waste my time on program bugs.

PS: Unity ROCKS !!!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The issue is that you assume that with some more time things will get better. They won’t.

All Tech releases will break stuff, all new features won’t work well, then LTS comes around which does get decently reliable around a year after it’s out.

Unless something changes, if you want to do work, you should always be using an LTS version that is at least a year old.

Everything else is just to fool around and submit bug reports, so that hopefully those bugs won’t be there by the time LTS comes around.

eses and RedHotFlashman like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AcidArrow already said it: there is no way a tech release will be free of problems. Old problems will still be there and new one will happen.

Also, I don't think you can compare 2019 with 2018 or 2017, or hope that 2021 (what happened to 2020?) will fix 2019 problems: they are not the same software. Although they use core functions and features, they are not continuations of the previous versions.

RedHotFlashman likes this.
  4. RedHotFlashman

RedHotFlashman

Ok LTS, I got it !!!