Search Unity

I wan't to make a game but i suck at blender

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by MDstudios, Dec 8, 2018.

1. MDstudios

MDstudios

I've been trying to make a game, but I suck at 2d and 3d art. So how do I make a game with primitives/ not so good art?

2. bgolus

bgolus

Or make use of assets on the asset store.

3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Okay: If you want, learn how to draw and model, basic simple objects.
    eg. 2d and 3d objects, like stylized stick men, boxes, balls, vases etc.

And as time passes, (and time passes really quickly), you'll be an
    intermediate 2d and 3d artist and modeller, in no time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I such at doing graphics too, but you make it work.

start by telling you self what you making is for greyboxing(temporary graphics for development) only and "I'll partner up with a designer eventually" and before you know it you're making complex models and baking higher resolution meshes into normal maps.

Trust me, I'm as dumb as you can get for solo game development(my education level is "attending" high school high, but i am a physics geek so i have that going for me) and i'm constantly surprised at myself.

5. Ehredt

Ehredt

Start with 2D and avoid 3D models for now. If you can get a nice color scheme in your scene, that's half the battle. Look at illustrations online and don't be afraid to borrow inspiration for colors and composition. Even if you don't have art experience, most people can judge when something looks great or terrible, so do some trial and error. Here's the tool I use for color palettes: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

As far as UI goes, don't use the default font (in general: sans serifs look cool and modern, serifs look old-timey and bookish; I end up using slab serifs for everything because I love them). Don't use the default UI button/input/dropdown images. If you can figure out how to keep things at a nice crisp resolution and you stay minimal and keep everything from clashing with everything else, you'll be in decent shape. Here's a graphic design resource: https://www.howdesign.com/resources.../gestalt-theory-typography-design-principles/

If you draw your own 2D assets, either keep everything super clean and minimalist or use the nice textured brushes. Avoid getting too soft or smudgy.

If you do go with 3D: lighting and materials are half the battle, especially if you're using primitives.

Expect art things to take time, and be patient with yourself. If you do enough of it, you'll start to get pretty good.