Search Unity

Question I want to make a Escape From Tarkov Like

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kobz92, Jun 29, 2022.

1. kobz92

kobz92

Hello,

Let me introduce myself, I'm 28 years old, I work in IT (network & System) I've already done scripting in powershell and I like to play FPS. I don't have any skills in game développement and would like to make a game like Escape From Tarkov ? (fps, loot, stuff, inventory, hideout, realistic, extraction, RPG, survival, detailed map)
    - with inter-server teleporters (example: on ARK you can teleport to another server with your equipment and dinosaurs)
    - with teleporters (like Valorant)
    - with a common auction house like on The Cycle Frontier
    - With skins (to be able to sell them on the steam market)
    - with vehicles (from the bicycle to the helicopter via the boat and the tank)

I would like to pay for services on Fiverr from people who will do this work for me and each on a different theme. What jobs will be needed ? Graphic designer ? 3D modeler ? Programmer / developer ?
    Would separating tasks and individuals be a good method ? (example: Pay each person different for weapon animation, maps, items, effects, inventory etc)
    Do I have the legal right to use the work of the sellers for commercial purposes ? Are they going to ask me for a percentage ? If so, how protect myself ?
    If for example my game is almost finished but I have to send it to someone whose services I have paid to finalize something for me; how can i protect my work from theft ?
    How do I know that the work he gave me is not someone else's ?
    Is it possible to program only the base of the game and later configure the following elements: Effect, Item, Graphics, Skins etc.
    How long it will take to have something playable ?
    What are the difficulties that I or the developers will encounter ?
    Is it better to pay studios or pay independents ?

Thank you very much guy's

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Have you considered first doing this for a MUCH smaller scale game to actually prove you can manage a team and release something and in general handle everything? Based on the extremely basic questions you are asking, you absolutely are not ready to manage a paid team to make a game of this scale currently. Also making a game of this scale using purely temporary members of staff sourced from fiverr etc, seems very unlikely also.

How much is the budget you have? Just to get this done assuming you have the skills and knowledge to sherpard this project, would be a minimum of $200,000, and that really is being extremely generous with how much you can get done for so little (and that is considered a small amount, for a game this size).

The fact you are asking "what roles are needed" really illustrates this fact. Sorry not trying to put a downer on your day, but I am trying to stop you wasting a lot of time including other peoples.

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You would need an experienced, elite team.

An elite team is not one where nobody knows each other, even if individual members are rockstars (and is fiver a place to find rockstars? I have no idea, but I'm guessing those sorts are working at studios that pay real money)

I think if you had a million dollars and you hired the best people you could find, and you are the project lead with no game dev experience; at the end of six months you'd have nothing worth showing and a lot wasted money.

I think you have to have the team first, and team building takes time, and people who are capable of creating a good team charge real money for their time. In other words, unless you have millions and extensive leadership/project management experience, I think it's completely unrealistic expectation.

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Build a few small games first The scope of this game idea is far too broad for a first project. By building and releasing some small projects, you will learn a lot about what it takes to release a game.

All of the games you listed were built by experienced teams with financial backing. It is not really practical to find people on Fiverr to build something of this scope.

For the scope of game outlined in this forum post, it would probably need multiple years of a large team of experienced developers working full time. Generally speaking, that would probably cost about $80k-$130k per employee times 50-200 employees times 3-5 years. So a guess would be somewhere between $10M to $100M.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need money. Ton of it.

You want high fidelity realism, and that's expensive.

Alone you might be able to make something like Unturned. And not Tarkov.

And yeah, starting with smaller games is a very good idea.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

A studio will have proper management and will understand what is involved in making a game. An individual will rely on you to direct them. Which if you don't have any game development experience will be rough on both of you.

Funding. An IT professional makes good money but not that good. If you want to fund it solely yourself you'll need to greatly limit your expectations, and if you want outside funding you'll likely find it to be impossible unless you already have an established company. People invest in companies not ideas.

Battlestate Games, the company behind Escape from Tarkov, currently has 80 employees. While they likely didn't start with that many they would have gained most of them shortly after funding and development was about five years. Simply put we're talking tens of millions of dollars.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  7. kobz92

kobz92

Thanks for your answers guys.
    You must be laughing about people who came out of nowhere and want to compete with best games. And indeed you are right x)

How should I do if I want to make only the base of the game
    2 map, 1 inventory, 50 items, 10 weapons
    That I remove 90% of the complex elements and leave them for later (graphics, 3d object, etc)

The goal is not to make a copy of Tarkov but just an idea of the future.

On youtube I've seen games really well made by independents.

What about buying an already made fps project and having developers work on it ? Would that be a good idea ?

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

That doesn't really change anything, because you're chasing photorealism, and because photorealism is still expensive.

Amusingly, your list does not list any players or opponents

If you don't believe people, you can contact a 3d modeling studio and ask them for a quote for a single character.

The only example I'm aware of is Bright Memory, and the creator admitted stealing assets.

It won't be a good idea. A better idea is looking for a well-tested FPS kit asset and not someone else's project. Because the project will have remnants of original ideas the author had, and you'll be fighting those while trying to shoehorn them into your usecase. A kit will be at least made to be extensible.

Be aware that using ready-made models may result in them being recognizable. For example, I've seen several games on steam which use the same goblin as an enemy, then there's low-poly character kit everybody is trying to use. Daz character models are also very recognizable.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Which is not necessarily a problem if gameplay is fun and at least somewhat remarkable.

However, I agree, it's not a great idea to start with aiming for top notch stuff when not having already shipped smaller games.

Teila and lmbarns like this.
  10. kobz92

kobz92

so are all assets subject to sales rules or are there some that can be marketed ? (sorry for my english guy's)

ohh i see, I don't need anything as realistic as Daz and It doesn't matter if they are recognizable

- I found these assets there, they are quite correct, aren't they ? Is it possible to work on these assets ?

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/mfps-2-0-multiplayer-fps-101171

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/low-poly-shooter-pack-v4-3-54947

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/game-toolkits/ufps-ultimate-fps-106748

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/fps-builder-167252

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/game-toolkits/fps-rpg-195613

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/aurora-fps-engine-165863

Thank you for spending time helping me and explaining

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don''t follow.

Bright Memory has been touted as an example of a realistic game made by a tiny team or even one person. However, the creator later admitted that he used someone else's model as a base without permission. Meaning he pirated the models and didn't make them. That nulls his example of realistic game being made by one person, since he pirated content he used.

If you're buying assets on unity asset store, you can use them for creation of "interactive media", which includes videogames. You are not allowed to resell them, or sell modified version of those assets.

@DragonCoder makes a very good point:
    A single character model can have very high price (there are sources listing them at $5000 per character and even $80000), and there's no point in investing into graphics when you don't have a gameplay skeleton.

So a decent idea would be to make your gameplay first as low poly assets and then attempt to improve visuals.

In my opinion a photorealistic game can easily have six or seven figure budget. Meaning millions or tens of millions of USD. That's why it would be better to aim at making something like Unturned first.

Regarding asset suggestions, I think there's a separate forum for that, and I'm generally not the person to give advice regarding asset because I almost never buy anything from asset store.

12. My initial advice if you want to work on this no matter what:

Forget graphics! Buy a bigger Synty Studio pack on the store which contains characters and build your game with minimalistic, pre-made assets. Keep a list of assets you are using.
    If you finished your game with that and you like the outcome, you can think about replacing the lowpoly assets with fancy, realistic ones and adjusting lighting, etc.

Do not spend more money than a couple hundred dollars in advance. A game like that is a huge undertaking, you probably won't finish it.

Teila likes this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Alternatively you can try to find a character artist that is just as interested in the project as you are. You don't even need to rig and animate it yourself if you are comfortable using Mixamo.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I completely agree, but I think there is more nuance in a lot of cases.

Figuring out the art production pipeline is just as complex and important as figuring out the code architecture for a project. Of course, in both cases, you can make them as simple or as complicated as you need. But I think if you completely shove art off to the side, build an entire game, and then expect to just plug art in, you might end up having to redesign a lot of your game.

I think it's good to do some pre-production experiments to figure out what sort of art you could expect to create, and how it might fit into the rest of the production pipeline. But yes, I 100% agree there is no benefit to making expensive, finished, high quality art before you have confirmed the game is viable.

15. neginfinity

neginfinity

Those. Those are the ones. They're slowly becoming rpg-maker level recognizable.

Teila likes this.
  16. I did not say that. There is no "just plug in". I said build the game first and if it is playable enough, take care of the visuals and make changes as needed. But 99% chance that he won't arrive to the point where he would change the graphics to realistic, doing it upfront is a giant waste of money.

17. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Even that example is probably far too much scope for you at this point. Focus on building and releasing a very small first game yourself, and then focus on building a slightly larger game next. Repeat that process a bunch of times. Then consider expanding your team and trying to build slightly larger things.

Here is a thought exercise:
    Doctors make decent money, so you might be interested in becoming a doctor. You look into it and realize doctors need years of intense education. What do you do? Do you enroll in medical school? Or do you try to start your own hospital? If you really want to become a doctor, you can enroll in medical school. If you don't want to go to medical school, then you should not assume it would be easy to start a hospital.

If you want to learn how to build video games, then you can and should do that. But don't try to start a game development company as an alternative to learning how to build games.

Teila, Ryiah and lmbarns like this.
  18. impheris

impheris

wow dude, we all want to make amazing complex games but you need to "hold your horses" if you want to be part of the devs team of one big game you need experience first, so, make something by your own, something very basic, but if you want to be just the "money guy" then you need a team and that team needs money to eat and stuffs, so, as a team or company you need experience in the industry. If you have so much money well go ahead look for great artist and coders but not on fiverr, that sound very mediocre hahaha xD
    There is one guy who is making a game similar to scape from tarkov you can maybe put money on his table and be an inverstor, maybe that is your thing.

19. kobz92

kobz92

I don't understand, what's the point of buying assets if you can't modify them or implement them in a game that you're going to sell later.

this is exactly what i want to do

I'll try to do that, it sounds reasonable.

I can't buy premade characters, it doesn't matter if they're famous or ugly.

Agree with that

it's not a problem for me if we recognize them

I plan to pay someone to make the product, not develop it myself (if I try to develop it myself it will be ready in 100 years and more!)

I have never seen such a bad example before xD

I'm the guy who's going to put the money on the table, 1000 euro per month on a guy for 2 years to make a pre-alpha of a game.

Guys, it's really not possible to modify this asset : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/game-toolkits/fps-rpg-195613 , I rely more on the idea of the game than on its design for the moment

20. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can modify them and you can use modified version in the game you're making. You are not allowed to sell modified version as asset (and not videogame) to other people. So, you can't buy a character, add moustache, and sell it on asset store, for example.

The point of buying is to save money. Asset store seller usually will be selling products that cost thousands of usd to develop at a fraction of development cost.

21. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Making this more undestandable since there might be a slight language barrier with the thread starter:
    Three topics were mixed here: Actual stealing of assets, legitimate usage of bought assets (from the asset store) and the over-usage of popular bought assets (which I personally hardly see as a problem for indies).

Well if you have that money laying around and don't expect a high chance of success (due to lack of domain specific knowledge of the project leadership).. Good luck :)

22. kobz92

kobz92

it wasn't me who started talking about stealing assets

and i can't paid someone who have this knowledge ?

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

I never once said anything about premade characters. I said you can use Mixamo to automatically rig and animate your character once the artist has created it. Because the cost estimates that were quoted to you earlier? That's just the character. Some artists might rig for free. None of them will animate for free.

Pfft. You won't find a quality developer for that pittance. That's not even minimum wage. What you will get is some guy in China or India that will develop it for you and then sell a game that just happens to play identical to yours.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Deleted User likes this.
  24. neginfinity

neginfinity

There are skilled developers outside of US/EU, however, with this price it will be probably necessary to look for someone with special circumstances. A retiree, or someone who can't work fulltime in office due to health reasons.

Ryiah likes this.
  25. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

if a guy working for 1000 euros a month for 2 years can make something like tarkov, nobody would be talking about tarkov. There would be 10,000 tarkovs on steam.

Take a critical look at what is on the market and ask why things are the way that they are.

26. kobz92

kobz92

i said without graphics and 90% of complexity

27. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

oh! 90% complexity. I see. That changes a lot. I missed that key detail.

You should be good.

28. kobz92

kobz92

29. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

yeah you can modify that asset.

Go on fiver, hire someone to do it.

30. kobz92

kobz92

do you think it's possible to compile some asset, take a map asset, weapons asset, fps asset, inventory asset, mouvement weapon, characters.... etc etc

how i can know if its compatible ? i mean technically i dont care about the design for the moment.

31. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

two ways to know if asset packages are compatible:

1. contact the authors and ask specific technical questions. What questions to ask though? You won't know because you are not familiar with the domain.

2. buy the assets and see if you can make them compatible.

Didn't you say work in IT? Isn't this bread and butter problem solving for you?

32. kobz92

kobz92

yes but i'm system&network admin, i'm not dev, even if indeed I sometimes do scripting

bro thanks you very much i will try to do something.

33. Murgilod

Murgilod

You are asking a lot of questions where it sounds like you don't know about the fundamentals of working with Unity, so I'd start there before worrying about any of this.

Ryiah and neginfinity like this.
  34. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Good luck. A full time game developer often makes ten times what you are quoting. You won't be able to hire anybody full time at that rate. At best, you might be able to find a kid who still lives at home that could work on it part time on the side.

If you have not built any game previously, do you really think you will be able to manage a part time employee working multiple years on your game? You say it would take you 100 years to build this yourself, but you are assuming a kid working part time for you is going to get it done in 2 years. Which time estimate is more likely?

Ryiah likes this.
  35. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

As a general rule, most assets are not automatically compatible with other assets. Nearly every asset requires some manual time to get the asset to work with other assets. When you buy an asset, you should always assume you will need to do some manual work to get the asset working in your project.