Search Unity

Question I want to make a 2D grappling hook

Discussion in '2D' started by The_Lake_House_Games, Jan 19, 2022.

1. The_Lake_House_Games

The_Lake_House_Games

I just started unity and I need a grappling hook for the game. I couldn't find what I wanted on the internet.

so a 2d sprite we call it a cube I want to draw a circle on this cube and this is where if the player presses the button the grapling hook will be activated inside that circle

Like this;
    SmartSelect_20220119-232402_One UI Home.jpg SmartSelect_20220119-232340_One UI Home.jpg

I would be glad if you help

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't think anyone here is going to do any better in this little teeny tiny text box.

If a dozen Youtube tutorials with thousands of LIKEs between them can't help you, well, perhaps you aren't doing tutorials properly.

Let me offer you this guidance.

Tutorials and example code are great, but keep this in mind to maximize your success and minimize your frustration:

How to do tutorials properly, two (2) simple steps to success:

Tutorials are a GREAT idea. Tutorials should be used this way:

Step 1. Follow the tutorial and do every single step of the tutorial 100% precisely the way it is shown. Even the slightest deviation (even a single character!) generally ends in disaster. That's how software engineering works. Every step must be taken, every single letter must be spelled, capitalized, punctuated and spaced (or not spaced) properly, literally NOTHING can be omitted or skipped.

Fortunately this is the easiest part to get right: Be a robot. Don't make any mistakes.
    BE PERFECT IN EVERYTHING YOU DO HERE!!

If you get any errors, learn how to read the error code and fix your error. Google is your friend here. Do NOT continue until you fix your error. Your error will probably be somewhere near the parenthesis numbers (line and character position) in the file. It is almost CERTAINLY your typo causing the error, so look again and fix it.

Step 2. Go back and work through every part of the tutorial again, and this time explain it to your doggie. See how I am doing that in my avatar picture? If you have no dog, explain it to your house plant. If you are unable to explain any part of it, STOP. DO NOT PROCEED. Now go learn how that part works. Read the documentation on the functions involved. Go back to the tutorial and try to figure out WHY they did that. This is the part that takes a LOT of time when you are new. It might take days or weeks to work through a single 5-minute tutorial. Stick with it. You will learn.

Step 2 is the part everybody seems to miss. Without Step 2 you are simply a code-typing monkey and outside of the specific tutorial you did, you will be completely lost. If you want to learn, you MUST do Step 2.

Of course, all this presupposes no errors in the tutorial. For certain tutorial makers (like Unity, Brackeys, Imphenzia, Sebastian Lague) this is usually the case. For some other less-well-known content creators, this is less true. Read the comments on the video: did anyone have issues like you did? If there's an error, you will NEVER be the first guy to find it.

Beyond that, Step 3, 4, 5 and 6 become easy because you already understand!

3. knobblez

knobblez

A few things you might want to read about to get what you want:

-Raycasting
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics.Raycast.html

-LineRenderer
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-LineRenderer.html

-Vector3.Slerp
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Vector3.Slerp.html

Sounds like you just want to show an image or change cursor for selecting where to grapple to, then use LineRenderer to draw a line from PointA(Player) to PointB(SelectedGrappleLocation). Then move the player to that position.