Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug I want to download an older Hub version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by topy72, Oct 1, 2021.

1. topy72

topy72

Alright Unity team, cut the bullshit.
    I've stumbled upon posts from the forums dating back to 2017 asking to be able to download older hub versions.

That's. All. I. Want.

I do not care about filling a bug report or "using the latest version because it has bugfixes", Unity Hub 3.0 is in Beta for my OS, as such it's unstable and shouldn't be my only available download option.

It is not because you think you fixed bugs in the latest version that it didn't break on someone else's system. As a software development firm you should know this.

I need Unity Hub version priori to 3.0, please provide it.

JustATensai, _FLX, pooso and 9 others like this.
  2. They do. Just switch back to Production channel and it restart it. It should update itself to the 2.x production line. If it for some problematic reason doesn't, uninstall it and reinstall it.

3. topy72

topy72

I can't, because Unity Hub 3.0 just doesn't work on my system.

Lynxed, frbrz, TV4Fun and 1 other person like this.
  4. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Out of curiosity, what Hub version are you using? As far as I understand, you're using Hub V3 but it doesn't work on your system, right?
    As @Lurking-Ninja said, you can:
    1. Click Settings (GEAR icon)
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. In the Release Channel drop-down, choose “Production”
    4. Wait for background download. When it’s ready, you will see a message to Restart Hub to start using V2.
    It's the same process, just changing the Beta to Production.
    Or you can also uninstall and install the Hub again - download it here. It should install the Hub 2.4.5

BlinkingStudios and xvladky like this.
  5. topy72

topy72

Oh my god, are you serious ? I literally said that I can't do any of this because the hub just doesn't work on my system, and the only downloadable version for Linux, even with your link is Unity Hub 3.0

That's the kind of bullshit I'm talking about.

I repeat, I cannot click the cogwheel and revert back to the older version on the Unity Hub because it just doesn't work.

I cannot use the hub past the login screen, hence can't go the the settings to revert back to v2.
    I'd just like Unity to do what every software development company does and provide links to previous versions of your software, as you've been asked for literally 5 years

6. Maybe you need to pass beyond the "It's not working, bullshit, yadda, yadda". You know, actually communicate WTF is your problem.

I guess this is the 2.x Hub download link (I do not have Linux, I prefer to use desktop OS which actually works):
    https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/UnityHub.AppImage

Oh, and you're welcome.

toni500 and metaldc4life like this.
  7. topy72

topy72

That is not the 2.X link.

The 2.X link for linux isn't available online as it should be. My main problem is about logging in, the backlink doesn't redirect properly to the app, this has literally nothing to do with the OS. There are no bad OSes, only S***ty developers.

There's no "passing beyond" on how broken Unity stuff is and how unable to provide support the Unity team is, especially when you get bot-like generic responses to a specific need : I want to be able to downgrade my software because it introduces breaking changes.

Not the first one to ask for this, won't be the last one, no matter the OS.

All things considered, thanks for your time responding.

8. n_wolfe

n_wolfe

I'm having the same issue as the OP.

From the unity download page (https://unity.com/download) the linked version for Unity Hub reports itself as version 3.0.0-beta.5. Note that I did not select a beta channel, that's the version for download at the time I write this. From the download archive (https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive) there are no direct links to download specific versions of Unity for Linux, those are only available for Mac and Windows.

When I run the downloaded UnityHubBeta.AppImage file, the below message is printed to terminal and a splash screen shows, prompting me to sign in.
    Code (csharp):
    1. $ ./UnityHubBeta.AppImage
    2. ERROR: Licensing SDK logging callback is not registered. Please use 'registerLoggingAdapter' function from the SDK to do so.
    Clicking the big blue "Sign in" button opens a new tab in my browser to https://api.unity.com/v1/oauth2/authorize with various query parameters including
    redirect_uri=unityhub%3A%2F%2Flogin
    . That tab prompts me to open xdg-open. Once I click the "Open xdg-open" button, the prompt goes away and nothing else appears to happen.

At this point the Unity Hub splash screen is still stubbornly prompting me to sign in or create an account. As best I can tell, there is no way to download an older version of Unity Hub.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

DesertEagle_PWN, frbrz, arrbo and 5 others like this.
  9. n_wolfe

n_wolfe

Well that didn't take long to resolve. A quick search on how to register an application with xdg brought me to this: https://superuser.com/a/309343/219976

Following the instructions there, I created this entry:
    Code (csharp):
    1. $ cat ~/.local/share/applications/unityhub.desktop
    2. [Desktop Entry]
    3. Name=Unity Hub
    4. Exec=/path/to/UnityHubBeta.AppImage %u
    5. Type=Application
    6. Terminal=false
    7. MimeType=x-scheme-handler/unityhub;
    And then executed
    xdg-mime default unityhub.desktop x-scheme-handler/unityhub
    . After doing that, the sign in redirect functioned and I was able to log in.

10. topy72

topy72

That's an interesting solution that I've yet to try. Although the original purpose of this topic hasn't been answered which is: give me a link to an older version of the hub. Obviously Unity support won't ever give proper support and will avoid the question as they have been in the past 5 years.

11. hiphish

hiphish

Thank you so much! I almost had it as well, but I was missing the `%u` argument. Now clicking on a `unityhub://...` link in the web browser (Firefox in my case) actually works.

There is still the problem of actually downloading the engine: everything downloads fine, but then it fails to install the editor with the only message being "Install failed: Installation Failed". I have found a manual workaround though:

The files are downloaded to `/tmp` into a directory with a name like `unityhub-...` where the `...` is some alphanumeric code (probably a hash). Inside each of these directories is a tarball for the editor or another component like documentation or build support.
    • Inside your editor location create a directory with the name of the version of the editor you are downloading, e.g. `~/.local/share/UnityHub/Engine/2020.3.19f1`.
    • Extract each of the tarballs in that directory. Only extract tarballs that belong to that editor version. Merge directories if necessary
    I haven't been able to make Unity open the locally downloaded documentation, it always opens the online documentation in my web browser, but maybe that's just how Unity works these days. With this I can finally get some actual work done instead of fighting the solution.

I feel your pain and I hope these workarounds help you. Unity is such a S***show, the only reason I am still putting up with it is because I am making money on the Asset Store with it (and Unity will gladly take a 30% out of my sales), and even with that I have been so close to just throwing in the towel and giving up. The Unity Hub is a perfect example of a solution to a problem we should not even be having in the first place. Just give me a damn REST API or something and I will use curl to download the editor if I have to. There are direct download links for Windows and macOS, but for whatever baffling reason there is no download like for GNU/Linux, only a Unity Hub link.

I am convinced that support is either run by bots or they have been intentionally instructed to just stall users until we give up or figure it out on your own. The replies in this thread are a perfect example: you say that you cannot do something, and they just keep telling you to do it over and over again. As if you triggered a pre-programmed response in a bot.

12. TV4Fun

TV4Fun

Thank you for this thread. I had the same problem (running Ubuntu 20.04) and n_wolfe's solution fixed it for me. It would be really nice if Unity Hub did that automatically, or if it maybe gave us the option to directly download an earlier version instead of requiring us to download the broken beta first, or if it could just let us skip the whole hub thing and download the editors directly like you can with Mac and Windows, or if Unity devs actually listened to us and fixed their issues when we pointed them out. Anyway, hackfix worked. I have signed in and gotten to the main UI. Let's see if I can actually install an editor now.

Edit: Funny story, before I found this thread, I had tried manually loading a unityhub link from the unity store on the command line. That gave me the standard installation options but then after I clicked install, brought be right back to the sign-in screen. Apparently that was actually downloading this whole time and is now half finished. I guess it's only the UI that is that privileged.

13. krmisha45

krmisha45

I ran into such a problem on ubuntu 21.10, the hack does not help. There is no way to log in. There is no way to download a stable build.

frbrz and dereavy like this.
  14. atiq_qazi

atiq_qazi

Thanks for the solution man
    It's working fine till popping up the HUB window back
    and then, nothing happens
    no login

I think, the problem might be more related to HUBv3 now

TV4Fun likes this.
  15. hiphish

hiphish

You should give it some time, like a couple of minutes. I think it takes one or two minutes for the Hub to respond on my machine. No joke.

TV4Fun likes this.
  16. john_primitive

john_primitive

Anybody else still having this issue? It looks like the newest UnityHub installer (beta-6) places the .desktop file and enables the sign-in link to the browser. HOWEVER, once the oauth responds, my browser (Firefox) asks me which application I would like to open the unityhub link with. I select the UnityHub.AppImage and nothing happens. Still can't login or do anything.

Am I missing something?

17. hiphish

hiphish

How long are you waiting? The Unity Hub takes its sweet time, don't expect it to respond within a few seconds. Otherwise my only guess would be to check the desktop file and compare it with what has been written in this thread. At this point you are better off double-checking yourself instead of trusting the file created by Unity.

Also, you might need D-Bus installed on your system, but I'm not sure about that one. If you are using a big desktop environment you probably already have it.

18. TwillightDGaming

TwillightDGaming

hi i would like to download unity hub 2.4.2 the 2.4.5 is not really giving me unity 2018.4.30 which i want to use since my files are saved with that version i came from windows now using zorin os 16 is the any link for a appimage file for version 2.4.2

19. UNAsher

UNAsher

I'm sorry, why doesn't the UnityHub just work as it should, if Linux is a supported OS?

Why all these ugly workarounds?

amiel_ace and TV4Fun like this.
  20. dereavy

dereavy

Still stuck with this error: https://forum.unity.com/threads/sign-in-link-broken.1182610/
    The latest version of Unity Hub just doesn't work on the latest version of Linux.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

What? Mine works perfectly on Linux Mint 20.2, both the regular Hub and the beta one. I'm using the beta version.

Capture d’écran_2021-12-01_13-44-44.jpg

Capture d’écran_2021-12-01_13-35-53.jpg

Capture d’écran_2021-12-01_13-36-11.jpg

Capture d’écran_2021-12-01_13-36-29.jpg

Capture d’écran_2021-12-01_13-36-40.jpg

22. halfbot

halfbot

be sure to run chmod +x INSTALL.sh then ./INSTALL to move everything to the correct location. You signing should work after that.

HitLyn and LeGoMe like this.
  23. martindhx

martindhx

Absolutely the same issue here.
    Resolved with n_wolfe's solution, thanks a lot man!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  24. LeGoMe

LeGoMe

for some reason this is the one that fixed it for me, funny how we find different solutions for the same issue, thank you.

25. anthonyrobertson

anthonyrobertson

I am a 100% noob Unity user installing for the first time on Ubuntu 20.04 - first post

I was having this same issue ( not being able to get past the login prompt when trying to run the AppImage from the archive downloaded at https://unity.com/download )

TLDR: I needed to run the install script correctly as LetMeGo suggested.

$> sudo chmod +x INSTALL.sh
    $> ./INSTALL.sh
    This script will only run if the UnityHub.AppImage is at the same location as this script
    This will wipe any existing Unity Hub installations, are you willing to proceed? [N|y]: y
    Integrating Unity Hub into system
    Updating AppImage permissions
    Moving AppImage to the Applications folder
    Adding the necessary .desktop file
    Adding the unity hub icon
    Registering the required unityhub URL scheme with XDG
    Installation complete.

The line in bold sounds like what m_wolfe's suggestion accomplishes, though I know nothing about WTF XDG is.

So:
    1) Read the README.md which suggests
    2) Run INSTALL.sh

shwhjw likes this.
  26. uguuboi

uguuboi

I wanted to chime in on this as i was having issues until now with Beta 3.0 v6 on Kubuntu 20.04, I found that after installing it via Install script (appimage requires to be installed for desktop dependencies for general functionality. Firefox wouldn't give me an option to select an app to load the Auth Token with out this feature, because it couldn't find it.) The install script was giving me issues saying when attempting to run in a "Unity Hub" folder from downloads telling me it wasn't a file path. Just delete the space in "Unity Hub" Folder name, run install script in Terminal, and it should install (move) all the required files to the proper locations so that your web browser can find the application because it is officially installed. I was able to log in, it allowed me to chose the UnityHub.AppImage that resides in the applications folder it got installed to, and logged me in successfully. After you can get the install done and successfully log in, you should beable to switch channel from beta to production. At that point tbh if it works for you on Hub 3 beta 6, might as well keep it there.

edit: Also to all the back handed comments about Linux, it does work, yall just don't know how to manage linux. Unity broke this beta release and made it silly that you cant download older versions directly because they wanna push their new release down your throat. also didn't see above that some others suggested the install.sh file, it was giving me dir errors, so i decided to say yeet and tried that name change and it worked.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    DiegoGuisasola likes this.
  27. DiegoGuisasola

DiegoGuisasola

Thanks! This worked for me.

28. mkJohnson

mkJohnson

Thanks for the link, it is working for me. I am running Ubuntu 20.04

29. RobotFlow

RobotFlow

I'm sorry, but what is INSTALL.sh?

Hellgeist likes this.
  30. kkl888

kkl888

This option does not work in the latest Unity Hub 3.0.0. Is there any way we can switch back to Hub 2.4.5?

frbrz likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Currently the official website only provide the link to download Unity Hub 3.0.0. Even trying change from "Beta" to the "Production" it still not working

frbrz and kkl888 like this.
  32. bcin3d

bcin3d

Just a heads up for anyone looking for Hub 2.4.5. I was able to use archive.org to find an older version of the /download page that had the old link to it, and the link is still good. Worked for me.

33. qwerty30908

qwerty30908

what r ur pc specs coz i have some problem too

34. Royalshopping4me

Royalshopping4me

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

35. frbrz

frbrz

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    gliealonso likes this.
  36. frbrz

frbrz

A lot of people are having this kind of problems on windows and mac too. There are tons of posts like this.

37. frbrz

frbrz

Reported for abbusive behaviour. Stop giving fake "advice" and mocking people around. Respect others if you wish to be respected. The link you "provided" just prompts you to install the version the OP can't even run. You just don't care about other people problems.

38. frbrz

frbrz

It used to work for me in Mint too. It doesn't work anymore.

gliealonso likes this.
  39. frbrz

frbrz

This solution worked for me once. Now, the UnityHub doesn't run no matter what I do.

gliealonso likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

A few things to do:
    • Deinstall Unity Hub (info on how to do that in the doc),
    • Delete all the Unity Hub and unityhub folders you'll find in your system, especially in .local and .config.
    • Make sure your computer is clean and not broken.
    • Reinstall or install Mint 20.3, a clean install, not an upgrade.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Reinstall Unity Hub.

41. frbrz

frbrz

Thanks. Will try this along with reinstalling it. I don't want to reinstall linux again yet.
    • Delete all the Unity Hub and unityhub folders you'll find in your system, especially in .local and .config.

42. frbrz

frbrz

It didn't work. My computer is not the problem, it's a clean install. It used to work fine on Mint, I moved to PopOS. I'll probably move back.

43. vaskoa

vaskoa

unity team, please give me a link to download unity hub 2.4.1 or 2.4.5

i'm on windows 8.1 and unity hub setup (size: 102 MB (107.404.840 bytes)) says "the official unity hub has stopped working", "a problem caused the program to stop working. please close the program.", "-> close the program"

44. Mauri

Mauri

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  45. vaskoa

vaskoa

46. Chris_Brech

Chris_Brech

Thank you for the link to 2.4.5.

I had an old 2.2.2 installer, but I gave 3.1.2 a try today which immediately crashed; that's a big nope for me. Installed the 2.4.5 from GitHub and everything is purring great again.

It's absolutely insane that the Unity team forces its users to rely on third-parties to obtain their own software. Like, who the heck is baba-s? As far as I know, they're my savior.

gliealonso likes this.
  47. Allikuno

Allikuno

So i'm having the problem where im using the latest version on unity, i start it up its all fine but when i click sign in ( i made an account already) it goes blank, so i went to some website to figure the problem, and i needed to use 2.4.5 of unity. This really helped me. THANK YOU. you are a lifesaver. (i'm on windows 10 so yeah)

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is the perfect example of a Linux intelligent asshole. I also use Ubuntu and Unity Hub doesn't work there, error: ERROR: Licensing SDK logging callback is not registered. Please use 'registerLoggingAdapter' function from the SDK to do so. What shall I do? Thanks in advance

49. toni500

toni500

hi, this is my first post/message that i sent on forum.unity.com, i wanna thank you so much for the link so i could use the 2.4.x version of unityhub instead of the new one. I'm a linux user so i couldn't find an AppImage for running UnityHub old as like windows

TV4Fun likes this.
  50. LunaGamesStudios

LunaGamesStudios

it dint work for me