Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question I want to disable all kinds of interpolation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by metacognition, Mar 20, 2024.

1. metacognition

metacognition

Hi, I have a question about disabling all interpolation in Unity.

I'm trying to render a high resolution image and videos(4k) using VR device (Varjo Aero and Varjo XR-4), and I have an issue about interpolation.

What I want is to disable all kinds of interpolation in Unity to render exact same image or video with the original source, but somehow the interpolation occurs every time.

I disabled the 'anti-aliasing',
    For the texture to display the image, I changed the filter mode to 'Point(No filter)'

Is there any other settings for the interpolation so that I can disable?

Please tell me how to disable all kinds of interpolation in Unity.

Thank you.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Wrong term. It's either anti-aliasing, filtering, or postprocessing effects. ;)
    Interpolation happens when an image gets resized.

You disabled two of these, only remaining would be postprocessing. For example Bloom could give your image a blurry look.

But ... generally speaking even a 4k image will never look perfectly crisp on a VR headset due to their use of fresnel lenses. There will always be some form of light blooming effect and smearing. Try fine-adjusting your headset while wearing it and hold your head still, you may be able to observe that the effect is not on the image but changes with the angle you look at the image.

Keep in mind that it could also be something very simple like grease on the lenses. ;)

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is not lenses, it is display resolution of the helmet.

You have Varjo XR-4 which is said to have 3840x3744 resolution.

4k video is often 3840 × 2160

Basically, there are barely enough pixels in Varjo to fit the video frame. . And if it were transported pixel to pixel, it would be distorted by lenses, then recorded video likely will be compressed.

The way I see it, some downsampling may inevitably occur, but FullHD and 1440p should look well enough.

Congrats on getting this gear, though.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

In that case it could in fact be interpolation due to up/downsampling.
    Plus 4k video can still have artifacts. Compression is a lot more noticeable if you put your eyes so close to the image that it spans about 180° of a viewing angle, as happens on a VR device.

5. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Don't think you can, since while your texture source might have no interpolation ( point sampling in generall is not a good idea as it can look worse if not exactly 1:1 rendering), it will be rendered to a texture that the VR system will use to display to each eye and that will definitely be using interpolation and probably various other postprocesses ( fovated, weird mapping for lenses etc )

angrypenguin likes this.