Search Unity

Resolved I want to connect to a socket server from Unity's WebGL build.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by unitsume, May 2, 2023.

1. unitsume

unitsume

Hello.

I want to connect to a socket server from Unity's WebGL build.
    When I use C#'s Socket class, I was able to connect to a socket server in the Unity editor.
    But it did a WebGL build and gave an error when run in the browser.

build.framework.js.gz:3
    SocketException: Success
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket..ctor (System.Net.Sockets.AddressFamily addressFamily, System.Net.Sockets.SocketType socketType, System.Net.Sockets.ProtocolType protocolType) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

I found in this article that I have to use WebSockets.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/getting-socket-exception-in-unity-webgl.746276/

How can I actually implement it using WebSockets?
    If possible, it would be very helpful if you could share a sample.

Thank you.

2. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Raw sockets are not available on WebGL since browsers do not offer any API to access them. As you found out, you'll need to use WebSockets, but that means writing your application with a WebSocket library, not with the .NET socket API. You can use libraries like websocket-sharp for that. Unity's transport package also supports WebSockets starting with its 2.0.1 version (only available on 2022.2 and later).

3. unitsume

unitsume

I see! I understand!
    Thank you for your politeness.
    I was saved.

I'll check how to use websocket-sharpya and Unity Transport.

4. wanlwanl

wanlwanl

If you decide to use some library based on websocket, here's an option you can try: azure web pubsub transport, which is also support webgl platform. Here's the quick setup video (2 min):

5. adamgolden

adamgolden

Another option is PieSocket. Free tier available. Reasonably simple to implement via jslib. API docs.