Search Unity

Feedback I tick worlds by myself and i cannot see them in the debug tabs

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Cell-i-Zenit, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

Hi,

as stated in the title, i tick each world by myself because i need more control, but this results in systems not showing up in each debug window.

Any thing i can do to make them show?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is common problem with entity debugger.
    I don't understand, why unity team don't want to make them to be displayed in some way?
    What is current solution?
    @Joachim_Ante

It is really annoying not seeing groups or systems in entity debugger. For example when using DisableAutCreatiom attribute.

CPlusSharp22 likes this.
  3. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

It is on our to-do list to expose those at some point. There has simply been other higher priority features to work on before we get to that one.

We're iterating on new workflows to bind the data between the different windows available in the DOTS editor package (Systems and Entities window for now) since those will replace the Entity Debugger completely. We want to get a good idea of those workflows before we start expanding on the current feature set.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

@martinpa_unity thank you for bringing details.
    I didn't realized, you want to replace Entity Debugger. Interesting.

Btw. it is a bit off topic and I am sure that you are already aware of the following; while I have seen new Entities and Systems windows, in Entities window displayed entities will need also show index/version info.

5. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

@Antypodish Yes, the Entity Debugger has been engineered to work for a very limited number of workflows and adding new ones would always be painful.

So we are splitting the Entity Debugger into multiple windows. This allows us, for example, to be able to view & filter entities without tying them to systems (i.e. view the entities in a hierarchical fashion) and similarly, to be able to inspect data on a system without having to compute & display the list of entities.

We're also implementing the new windows using UIToolkit (formerly known as UIElements) instead of Imgui, since it can scale better that way and opens up the door for better/easier user extensibility.

Those windows are available in the latest version of our package (`com.unity.dots.editor`). At the moment, they are "standalone" windows and as stated in my previous message, we're working on binding them together. We're keeping the Entity Debugger window alive for the time being, because we are not quite "there yet" with the new windows and we don't want to remove existing workflows until we have something better offering at least the same features.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

@martinpa_unity these sounds nice. Lets see, where this new concept with windows will get us. I hope this will solve the initial problem in this thread.
    Also I do understand reasoning behind changes. I suppose Entity Debugger was good practical and experimental background, to bring debugging tools. And gained experience are now elevated, into new design form.

Keep up nice work on DOTS.

7. jdtec

jdtec

@martinpa_unity do you have plans to implement a feature that lets the user select an entity with a render or physics bounds in the scene view and then display it's data?

8. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

@jdtec That is something that is being worked on. I don't know the details, but there are multiple steps that need to be done to fully support this (Graphics, Scene Tooling, etc.)

jdtec and Lukas_Kastern like this.
  9. optimise

optimise

The latest version of Entities window no longer able to view all the data inside Dynamic Buffer as it's disabled. Can u re-enable it? Previous version I able to view all the data of Dynamic Buffer with page scrollbar.
    One more thing. Will inspect all the data inside blob asset be possible soon?

The latest version of Systems Window still not able to display full system name with class name that is wrapped into a class just like how currently Entity Debugger able to display. Can u implement this feature into Systems window?

Does UIToolkit offers better performance in terms of editor tooling?[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  10. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

We will re-enable that. As a work around, you can toggle the backend being used in the preferences window in the "DOTS Editor" settings.

That change has not been published, yet, but it should come in an upcoming version.

optimise likes this.
  11. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

It can, yes. Imgui is using immediate mode and thus will recalculate the layout and redraw on every repaint, while UIToolkit is retained and can skip re-caculating the layout if nothing changed.

optimise likes this.
  12. Timboc

Timboc

Whilst we're here... small request! Hopefully this will come with being editable fields but for the past 2 years, not being able to see a mixed enum in the inspector as it's readonly has been killing me. Unless editable fields are coming soon I'd super appreciate a thought as to whether this could be improved at all (possibly via tooltip or something?).
    As one other bit of feedback, I still use the old entities debugger as I find it much more useful than the two separate windows. Seeing entities by system and chunk utilisation etc easily.
    Many thanks, appreciate all the hard work!

Lukas_Kastern likes this.
  13. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

That is the goal. We should be able to allow editing while in play mode soon.

Yes, this is the missing link we need before we retire the Entity Debugger. Seeing the entities that match a specific query from a system is something we definitely want to keep.

bobbaluba, Timboc and Lukas_Kastern like this.
  14. Timboc

Timboc

Wonderful to hear! I'll wait with eager anticipation. Many thanks.

15. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

Forgot to respond to this. This is something that we want to look at eventually, but it's currently not at the top of the list.

optimise likes this.
  16. UsmanMemon

UsmanMemon

EntityDebugger should not be deprecated but should be improved even more with more debug information IMO and other entities, systems windows should be created for day to day use just like normal GO windows.