Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I think my ISP just switched me to a private IP address...

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SixTimesNothing, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

I'm getting this error in Unity when I try to launch a game server:

Code (csharp):
    1. Connection Tester reports NAT target 72.52.207.14:10735 not connected to NAT facilitator 72.52.207.14:50001.
    It also tells me that I have a private IP address - whereas I'm pretty sure it's always been a public address up until today. Am I right in assuming the issue lies with my ISP and that I may have to ask them to either switch me back to a public address (or more likely) upgrade me to another plan? Or could it be something to do with the Master Server. FYI - I haven't changed any of my network code.

2. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Don't think this is your ISP. Looks like the connection tester hosted by Unity is not working.

I made a default webplayer build of the Network Demo here:
    http://www.protonfoundry.com/NetworkTest/

I am getting:
    Problem determining NAT capabilities

I haven't dug into it any more than that, but usually that means that the Unity one is down. Depending on what you are doing, you will probably want to run your own masterserver connection tester anyway.

I've got one running on a spare windows computer and it doesn't take up much cpu or bandwidth (just choose a pc with a quiet fan). Or you can run it on linux.

3. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

Proton - Thanks for the reply and for running the test. It looks like the problem is with the Unity master server.

Is anyone else having this same problem with the master server?

I'll try to set up my own master server over the next few days, but don't really know if it will work. If Unity is telling me that I have a private IP address now rather than the public one i used to have does that mean I can't run a master server? Or is that just another symptom of the Unity server being down?

4. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

It started working again. Looks like it must have been the Unity master server, but not to worry. :)