Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

I think C# Job System should rename.

Discussion in 'Entity Component System and C# Job system' started by Altale, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Altale

Altale

Call it C Job System. LOL
    It can only use primitive types and literally have no relationshop to C#. Although it is under construction, i must say that it is too anti-humanity, and we must do a lot of brainstorm to fit this idea.

2. tertle

tertle

This is a well thought out and constructive observation.

RecursiveEclipse and eizenhorn like this.
  3. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

This is more than a proper naming, maybe I will reveal a secret for you, but atomic operations and worker treads are more powerful C# than simple high-level C# libraries. Job System naming perfect describes that.

Tony_Max likes this.
  4. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

In the context of Jobs System, C# means that API is exposed and oriented for the concrete programming language, I'm using the same suffix for custom parallel library and other native-to-managed stuff.

5. LazyGameDevZA

LazyGameDevZA

What about the HPC# Job System? Personally I don't really mind. To me having C# there indicates it can be used in C# more than anything else. Also C# is a language and not a framework. It would have been frustrating if it was called the .NET Job System as it's implying that the .NET api can be used.

6. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

The name probably originated from there being a native job system used by unity and a managed job system build upon it.
    What about 'Unity Job System'?

But of course the original author's intend wasn't to get it renamed but to get a slow and unsafe job system supporting everything matching the name.