Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion I still feel like I can't make a game lol [rant]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faulknordonald, Aug 27, 2023.

1. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Thanks for the information. I'm not great at making graphics, but I am getting better. I agree a picture can do wonders. Although, I don't have a lot of money to spend, I can get professionally made graphics on Fiverr for as low as $5 and I may consider that route for my itch.io images to hopefully grab more people's attention.

angrypenguin likes this.
  2. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Definitely not making excuses. The social media algorithms is what's stopping me. And yes, I have more SEO education than probably anyone. About 12 hours a day SEVEN DAYS A WEEK I am taking some kind of class, course, or tutorial. Whether it's SEO, marketing, game development, or something else. If I post on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social media platform. I get a ZERO response rate. Not ONE SINGLE PERSON will engage. That's because NO ONE can see it in order to engage. Social media isn't ranking anything I post.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Chances are, you have nothing interesting to show, what people would like to see.
    I mean, not that your product is bad. I don't know, I haven't seen it.
    But it may be the way how is presented among thousands of other products.
    Consider this, if you browse reddit for example, and see games showcases every day, then you see tons of products in various states.

Your options are to be either consistent at frequent updates, which can be quite exhaustive, or show something which outstands visually. Or for example including controversy.

It is tough market.
    But after few years by now, you would have discord and youtube with quite few followers, if you post something interesting every so often.

Maybe allow open for feedback and show us what you have marketed on social media so far?
    Because I think you focus on something completely different, that eats your time.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Can you give us some examples of your posts?

Antypodish likes this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That is not how social media works. YOU need to get traffic to your posts/content. You can't just post something on twitter/fb/whatever and hope for the best. There are a billion other people doing just the same.. SEO is irrelevant unless you are driving folks there. If your content is good, engaging and interesting those people will share it with their friends/followers/etc. That is the "social" part. You need to promote it everywhere that you can, share post in groups, on steam, buy ads, etc. Its about putting the work, not just waiting.
    Yea, but not here, no promotion in General.
    --
    But in that same respect, there is a WIP and Made With Unity sections of this site for games that are in progress and completed. You NEED to promote it whenever you can. You should put a link in your sig, you should have it in your profile you should have a WIP thread. Hell, for ~$20 you can get a shirt printed with your url/game, wear it all the time. (or, get a big QR code on a shirt... surprisingly that will work to a degree). Promote, promote, promote... the SEO and social media will (may) work once you have something out there.